Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Os 9 / Os X

Os 9 / Os X
helric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 07:01 PM

Well here is my question , I got this powerbook G4 (titanium) 500MHX with 512 mb ram, Now I know that it isn;t the fastest or best. Which I have learned from reading the forum but it was given to me, from a friend who wanted me to learn a little about them. Well one night i was tring to update it (10.4.9 to 10.4.11) and something happened it crashed or did something but anyway I ended up buying an installk disc on e-bay but when I loaded it I found out it wasnt the same as the tiger ( duh ) So now it is loaded 10.1.1 is that all the up dates I can get for this or do I have to purchase another and if so which one do i need. I didn;t think I was gonna like the mac so much havent touched my pc since I got this except to get help with problems .I caused myself when it crashed but it is working smoothly but I really liked the way tiger ran on it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 07:13 PM

Please.

Separate your post into paragraphs.

You need to get NOT a "restore disk" or titanium "PowerBook install disk", but just a regular 10.4 Tiger installation disk. These are no longer available from Apple, but you can get them used on eBay.

helric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 07:20 PM

Ok thanks I'll look into that on E-bay

Brass
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2008, 07:47 PM

or a Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) install disk?

emark
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2008, 07:59 PM

Helric: make sure you run Software Update and take it up to whatever the latest version of Puma (10.1) was....maybe something like 10.1.5? whatever, just keep running software update until there aren’t any more updates.

Sure, there are some things you can’t, or perhaps shouldn’t attempt to use that machine for, but you'd be suprised how wonderfully productive you can be with that machine. You would do well to find a Tiger disc, and, to put a little money into memory. That machine has two slots and can support up to 1 GB. Further, with the PCMCIA slot can accept wireless G and N cards (Try Macsales.com or quickertek.com) ...and those have gotten considerably cheaper than the original wifi B airport cards.

Notebook (2.5") drives are considerably faster, check out the reviews at Tom's Hardware and the prices at Newegg for starters. The original drives ran at 4200 rpm and had small caches...you’ll see a huge boost there if you’re looking to go the extra step.

Ohh, and USB 2.0 pcmcia cards are cheap add-ons too.

I still use 600 mhxz iBook and a Ti 400 Mhz powerbook that are great little machines for what most people spend most of their time doing: web, productivity, hook up to TVs for DVD watching, picture editing, etc.. Plus, it's not so dear that I need to worry to much about throwing it in my case or backpack and taking it anywhere.

Good luck and enjoy, there’s plenty of life left in that machine w/ 10.4.

p.s. while he analogika may have a point about paragraphs, he obviously doesn’t understand sentence structure (and is condescending to boot).

For some reason I keep hearing “"Nick Burns: Your Company's Computer Guy" now in my head...

p.p.s. Just saw Brass's message. While 10.5 can be put on that machine, whether it should is another issue. Know that it is significantly below the recommended/supported requirements. 10.5 is nice, but not worth the effort here. Sacrifice a little eye candy and go with the super stable, very productive 10.4.x.

Cheers.

good luck
( Last edited by emark; Feb 4, 2008 at 08:25 PM. )

helric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2008, 08:08 PM

emark,

Thanks for that info the friend that gave the PB to me told me it could not handle 10.5 but
I really don't know but so far I've noticed alot of bugspeople are still working out but someday I'll have it also. I'm gonna get into the mac alot more now that I have one to learn with .

emark
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2008, 08:27 PM

sounds great.

I'd be cautious about putting 10.5 there... keep an eye on the feedback of people who've used a similar machine. Some machines are just more efficient if you don't overload them w/ extras...but we all define extras and necessities differently.

enjoy.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 03:39 AM

A friend of me installed 10.5 onto his unsupported Ti 500 MHz and even when he maximized the RAM he says to find it slower than Tiger, note that I guess the ATI GPU is not supported at all. I would stick to Tiger which runs fantastic even on a G3 350 MHz Power Mac I have here.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 05:02 AM

10.5 will not install onto a 500MHz tiBook without some hacking.

I wouldn't bother trying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules