Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Before I troubleshoot, will ipod photo even work now?

Before I troubleshoot, will ipod photo even work now?
hart
Senior User
Aug 15, 2011, 10:45 AM

I have an old ipod photo 60GB (also known as color screen) which has been largely unused because I misplaced it in my desk. Now it's not functioning as an ipod, reset isn't working (although Apple symbol appears) as it can't get past "do not disconnect" screen and it doesn't appear in iTunes. I can, however, get it to work in disk mode and appear in the finder as a disk.

Before I start searching for solutions will this model even work with current itunes and software?

(Of course, any suggestions for fixing appreciated.)

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2011, 11:33 AM

Mine still does. It mostly stays in the console of my car. I bring it in to sync once or twice a month.

- It still syncs with the latest version of iTunes just fine.

- You'll be amazed at how fast that FireWire sync is compared to the current USB jankiness.

My iPod photo is on its last leg though. The buttons don't always respond and its battery life, off the teat, is about 3 minutes. As an always-tethered in car sound server, it's still pretty perfect though.

When it finally really dies, I'll have a hard time deciding between a dirt-cheap used Classic or a new touch, which I can update with the latest podcasts and playlists wirelessly, without removing it from the car, as wi-fi blankets my garage. The latter would be sweet, but would be a spendy indulgence.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

ibook_steve
Aug 15, 2011, 11:51 AM

Did you try all the steps in the troubleshooting assistant?

Apple - Support - iPod Troubleshooting Assistant

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

hart  (op)
Senior User
Aug 15, 2011, 12:26 PM

OK, so I guess I'll try to figure out what's wrong with it. Stuck on the "do not disconnect" window. Won't turn off either. Just sits there using up battery until it runs out.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2011, 12:20 PM

For the record, Apple has never dropped iPod sync support for any iPod, not even the first one that used only FW. My 3G 4oGB still works great. No firmeware updates and I'm on battery #3, but it works.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

andi*pandi
Sep 1, 2011, 05:26 PM

^this, there is still support. my original ipod is still working and syncing etc. It's looking a bit rough and the clickwheel is a bit loose from being dropped too many times though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules