Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Visiting Korea and need troubelshooting help with a PC!

Visiting Korea and need troubelshooting help with a PC!
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2009, 06:47 PM

I have an unusual question and didn't know where to post it, so I'm posting it here.

I arrived in Seoul, Korea last night to pick up the child we're adopting. We have a PC in our room, which we're using to blog. Problem is, I'm having trouble uploading photos.

When I use my USB card reader (or plug the camera in directly, the PC recognizes it as a USB mass storage device (or Canon camera) but prompts me to install software from a disc (that I don't have). The PC is running XP. I've tried looking in My Computer to see if it was visible, but don't see it there.

We were here once before for our first adoption and I was able to upload photos from a PC in our room (we were in a different room).

Any way to get this work? Any suggestions?

Yeah, know, it's what I get for not bringing my MBP, but with bringing a baby back 7,000 miles, I opted for the minimal approach!

We're meeting the baby in a few hours and I would *love to be able to post a photo to our blog!

Many thanks!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 20, 2009, 07:57 PM

When using your card reader it should not need any drivers or software. Just go to My Computer and find the card reader. It should be drive letter that's after any hard drives. For example it could be drive D, F, G, etc. Open them all if you are not sure and find your pictures. Copy and paste them over to the hard drive once you have found your pictures.

If you connect your camera directly to the computer then I believe this is why you are getting the install software prompt. Windows also won't recognize the new device without the software install which is probably why you can't see it in My Computer. There should be a setting in your camera to set it as a mass storage device but it's a lot easier if you have a card reader.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2009, 08:13 PM

That's what I thought, but I still get a "Found New Hardware Wizard" message asking me to load a disc, even after it recognizes it as a USB mass storage device.

In My Computer, there's only a 3.5" floppy drive, local disk, and a CD drive. I don't see another drive listed there.

Any other ideas?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 20, 2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by TribeLeader View Post
That's what I thought, but I still get a "Found New Hardware Wizard" message asking me to load a disc, even after it recognizes it as a USB mass storage device.
I'm assuming you clicked canceled when you get the "found new hardware wizard" and it still doesn't show up? You can try going through the setup wizard and there might be an option to load drivers from the internet.

I'm surprised that you are having this problem because every time I have used Windows with a memory card reader it just recognizes it like an external hard drive. What version of XP is this? I believe the earlier versions of XP had this issue but it's been so long that I don't can't remember for sure.

Maybe the place you are staying at locked out the computer some how. You might want to talk to their help desk if that's the case or get them to update XP if it's an older version. I don't know if that's exactly the problem though because like I said it always just shows up for me.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2009, 08:56 PM

without plugging in ANY usb device; right click My Computer > Manage > Devices. is their a ? for USB? if so, the computer knows there is a usb port(s)/hub (onboard, pci card) but they were never installed. the wizard may be wanting you to install THAT driver first.

the act of plugging something into a USB port has kicked of the device manager to "scan for new hardware" and found that it doesn't ahve the USB drivers first.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
without plugging in ANY usb device; right click My Computer > Manage > Devices. is their a ? for USB? if so, the computer knows there is a usb port(s)/hub (onboard, pci card) but they were never installed. the wizard may be wanting you to install THAT driver first.
No question marks. Four USB Universal Host Controllers and 4 Root Hubs are listed.

Thanks for all he replies!

We're heading out now to meet the baby. I'm hoping to get this fixed today so that when family and friends wake up in the States, they'll be able to see a photo!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I'm assuming you clicked canceled when you get the "found new hardware wizard" and it still doesn't show up? You can try going through the setup wizard and there might be an option to load drivers from the internet.

I'm surprised that you are having this problem because every time I have used Windows with a memory card reader it just recognizes it like an external hard drive. What version of XP is this? I believe the earlier versions of XP had this issue but it's been so long that I don't can't remember for sure.

Maybe the place you are staying at locked out the computer some how. You might want to talk to their help desk if that's the case or get them to update XP if it's an older version. I don't know if that's exactly the problem though because like I said it always just shows up for me.
I'll check on the version later. I don' think the place has locked anything, but I don't know for sure.

I did hit cancel, but I'll check again after we get back to make sure.

Thanks!

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2009, 12:33 AM

Plug the card-reader in without the media card inserted at first (unless you're already doing that.)

When it asks for a driver, try 'install from a specific location' and point it to C: \Windows\inf

It might ask you for a location more than once, so keep trying the same directory.

I recall seeing this issue once before and this worked for me, so hopefully it will for you. If not, it's likely the install of Windows somehow doesn't have the generic USB storage device drivers. It could be caused by being pre Service Pack 1 or something.

Congrats on the adoption! Must be exciting.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 21, 2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
If not, it's likely the install of Windows somehow doesn't have the generic USB storage device drivers. It could be caused by being pre Service Pack 1 or something.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I remember seeing this message often in the early days of Windows but they probably had more drivers pre-installed with later updates of XP. The fact that the computer still has a floppy drive makes me think that it's a very early copy of Windows XP.

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Congrats on the adoption! Must be exciting.
Yes, congrats!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2009, 03:38 AM

Got it!

Inserting the card reader without the SD card and installing the driver from a specific location worked! The wizard still popped up but I found the drive after canceling.

Thanks for all the help. We just got back from meeting our baby so it is perfect timing! I didn't know where else to turn other than the MacNN forum, even for a PC-related question!

Forum Links
Forum Rules