Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > No migration from one iMac to another....

No migration from one iMac to another....
JimCan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 11:56 AM

I posted below about sync'n my old G5 iMac to my new-to-me, 6mos old Intel iMac... So I followed instructions over at Mac support to a T, but arggggggg.... I can't get the bugger to see the old computer thru Fire Wire.

I've tried PRAM reset on both ... shut off all protections that I can find. I've used Migration Assistant ..even tried it from the Start Up Disk ...etc. Both systems have been topped off - as I have cable, so it only a couple of minutes to update everything. ...Still - can't think of another option?!

I currently have an Ext HD loading the whole old computer's HD, but I don't think I have enough space to hold it all. I certainly appreciate any thoughts..

Jim
Maryland

kikkoman
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 03:06 PM

Does you old iMac G5 start up in Target mode? It should have a Firewire symbol on the screen.

JimCan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 10:35 AM

Oh ya the FW symbol foats around the older iMac's screen. I even tried opening Disk Repair..or Aid? to see if I could mount the disk ... it simply will not see it. I did take my backup HD which is FW and got most of the major files, but one pain-in-the-a** is that all my bookmarks in Safari are 'over there' ... I cannot remember them all?! Anyway, thanks all.

j i m

BTW: I posted on Apple's help forum: nothing more there. Cheers.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JimCan View Post
but one pain-in-the-a** is that all my bookmarks in Safari are 'over there' ... I cannot remember them all?! Anyway, thanks all.
Do you have .Mac? You could use iSync to bring these over.

The other solution is just to take the Bookmarks file or folder and copy it over. I don't know where it is... I'd have to go check, but someone else here might.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Do you have .Mac? You could use iSync to bring these over.

The other solution is just to take the Bookmarks file or folder and copy it over. I don't know where it is... I'd have to go check, but someone else here might.
I don't know where the Safari bookmarks are off hand but the Apple help does.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I don't know where the Safari bookmarks are off hand but the Apple help does.
IIRC just go under User/Library/Preferences/Safari and it is called bookmarks or somthing of that nature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules