Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem rebooting after latest security update

Problem rebooting after latest security update
LDCahan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 12:22 AM

I downloaded the latest security update (iBook, 10.3.7) and on re-boot get grey screen only. So I put in the Panther disk, booted from disk, and have been trying the disk utility. On the repair disk command, it reports, several "overlapped extent allocation files," but then says it's been repaired. However, when I then try verify disk, it still reports disk needs to be repaired. I've repeated the repair about 6 times, and it is unchanged. Any ideas? What do I do now?

piracy
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 12:45 AM

This has nothing to do with the Security Update.

You had filesystem problems before you even installed it, which you now need to fix.

When you have severe filesystem problems, they cannot be fixed by Disk Utility. You now need another utility, such as DiskWarrior (which will almost assuredly fix this issue, and likely also restore your machine to an operational state). The only other option is to back up (and yes, there are a bunch of ways to get things off of the machine even if it can't boot), reformat the drive, and reinstall.

The Security Update did not cause this problem; but, being an event that changed a large amount of system related files on your drive, it exposed a pre-existing condition. You should check your disk for trouble occasionally to avoid problems like this...
( Last edited by piracy; Jan 26, 2005 at 12:50 AM. )

LDCahan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by piracy:
This has nothing to do with the Security Update.

You had filesystem problems before you even installed it, which you now need to fix.
OK but how do I do that? I've done about a dozen repair disks and it doesn't seem to help

piracy
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by LDCahan:
OK but how do I do that? I've done about a dozen repair disks and it doesn't seem to help
I added in the solution in the interim to my original message; see above. The ONLY solutions are another utility such as DiskWarrior or reformatting.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2005, 05:35 PM

I recommend booting your iBook in FireWire Target disk Mode and copying everything not replaceable or not already backed up (typically your Home Folder(s) to another computer/drive before proceeding with any repair.

You can learn about TDM here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules