Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > PC & Mac small network

PC & Mac small network
iBean
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2007, 11:44 AM

Hi there,

I'm setting up a small network at the company I work - it's a small design agency, with mainly Macs and a couple of PCs.

Everything is working fine - my only doubt is with the PCs workgroup name. If I left the PCs with the default workgroup (WORKGROUP) PCs and Macs are listed on the Network panel on the Mac. But if I change the workgroup to something else (say, the company name) I get two folders on the Network pane - My Network (where all the Macs and) and another one with the workgroup name I just set.

My question is: is it possible to change that 'My Network' name on Macs?
Thanks in advance!

-d

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2007, 12:20 PM

Give Mac Help a shot. Search for "workgroup" and the first item is about changing the workgroup name on the Mac. Easy and simple-just use the Directory Access utility (Applications > Utilities) to configure the SMB/CIFS settings.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iBean  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2007, 03:05 PM

Already did that - but that only changes the workgroup name for the Windows file-sharing options. If I do change the workgroup on the Mac, SMB shares do appear on that workgroup - but the Personal File Sharing shares still appear on the the My Netowrk folder

Forum Links
Forum Rules