Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does your iBook system is taken up a lot of memory?

Does your iBook system is taken up a lot of memory?
rado30
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2000, 01:01 PM

I recently installed some new software on my iBook SE and the next thing I know my system went from roughly using 44mb to 60-68mb. Let me give you the low down:

I'am running system 9.0.4, I have 192mb of ram installed and I just upgraded my Suitcase application to "Suitcase 9.0". I redid all my fonts, restarted and boom, my system starts tearing through my ram.

I go through my extensions disabling all none essential extensions, I change my screen to a solid color and I get the memory down to a solid 60mb but there has to be a way to save more, is there?

This realy isn't a problem, I still have plenty of ram to run my appz, but I'd like to have that memory back, can anyone help?

rado30  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2000, 01:06 PM

Ooops sorry about the topic bar it should read:

Does your iBook system take up a lot of memory?

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2000, 04:10 PM

rad,
I have a Lombard 400 w/192 megs of ram and yes, with VM off my system takes up around 55 megs of ram at the most. if you turn VM on though, it takes up like 30 something, but i find the system to be more responsive with it off, and since i can afford to turn VM off, i do. :-)

dionysus_olympus
Jun 16, 2000, 10:48 AM

What software did you install? Is it OS related (Mac OS or Virtual PC or Softwindows)? If that's the case, that may be your problem w/ consuming a bit more RAM. The OS update (9.0.4) consumes much more RAM, for example, as well as Virtual PC 3.0.3 update as well.

------------------
Did you have your Mac today?

Forum Links
Forum Rules