Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Finally got me iPod! - a couple of questions

Finally got me iPod! - a couple of questions
iBean
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 08:16 AM

So I waited more than a month, but my 40GB iPod has finally arrived. Yay!

I'm loving it already but I've been wondering about some things:

#1 - Is it OK to keep the iPod attachted to my mac when it's sleeping? (the mac, not the iPod...)

#2 - When I plug the iPod to my mac, I get the "do not disconnect" screen; when it's done with syncing, I get the main menu on the screen. I'vre read somewhere that when I get the main menu, it is ok to disconnect. However, I haven't ejected the iPod from iTunes... do I need to before unplugging the iPod?

#3 - The iPod was charging with the AC adaptor last night; it was fully charged, but I haven't disconnect the AC adpator yet. Then the power when off... when it came back, the iPod started recharging again, although it was fully charged... should I wait for it to fully charge again?..

I guess that's all...
Thanks in advance!
( Last edited by iBean; Nov 1, 2003 at 08:43 AM. )

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 10:04 AM

1. Some Macs, mine a quicksilver dual Gig included, do not charge the ipod when asleep. Though I have been told that the newer Macs do.

2. If you do not have "Firewire Disk mode" enabled it is OK to disconnect when the ipod is in the main menu. If you have firewire disk mode on you will not get the main menu on the ipod until you have ejected it.

3. The ipod uses a Lithium type battery. These naturally discharge themselves over a period of time, even when not being used, so left unplugged overnight might drop the charge enough to allow the charging to start again.

Hope that helped!

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 10:08 AM

I've had my iPod since May--It IS my favorite piece of technology! I will try to answer you questions.

#1 - Is it OK to keep the iPod attachted to my mac when it's sleeping? (the mac, not the iPod...) Yes, but it does use the mac baterry if it is connected, so if your mac is running on battery (if it is a laptop like mine) it could drain your battery on the mac.

#2 - When I plug the iPod to my mac, I get the "do not disconnect" screen; when it's done with syncing, I get the main menu on the screen. I'vre read somewhere that when I get the main menu, it is ok to disconnect. However, I haven't ejected the iPod from iTunes... do I need to before unplugging the iPod?
Yes, I ALWAYS eject from iTunes and then disconnect the iPod.

#3 - The iPod was charging with the AC adaptor last night; it was fully charged, but I haven't disconnect the AC adpator yet. Then the power when off... when it came back, the iPod started recharging again, although it was fully charged... should I wait for it to fully charge again?.. I try to use my iPod all the way down each time if I can to help on battery life --it may not make any difference, but I have always been told that it is a good idea to let batteries run down before recharging as much as possible.

I also want to say that you may have to "reset/reboot" your iPod--don't be alarmed. I have had to do this several times.

Enjoy it!

Jim

12" Powerbook Rev. A
iPod
iTrip
iMic
Canon 950 Printer
AE Base Station

iBean  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:

3. The ipod uses a Lithium type battery. These naturally discharge themselves over a period of time, even when not being used, so left unplugged overnight might drop the charge enough to allow the charging to start again.

Hope that helped!
Hmm the thing is the power went off for 10 minutes max; I don't think that's enough time to drop charge.

It's like the iPod doesn't "know" that the battery was charged...

iBean  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 04:17 PM

Ok, so this is what I am experiencing: if I fully charge my iPod, then disconnect it, then immediately reconnect it, it will be charging for 3 hours!...

Is this normal?

I think I've read somewhere that this is just the way the battery management works; it will start a 3-hours recharging cycle evertyime it is put to charge. Is this correct?

Please help

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 09:50 PM

I get the same thing with my 15gb even after restoring it several times. Seems to just be a glitch in the software. When I wait and hook it back up later it works like it should.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 1, 2003, 10:45 PM

#1 - Is it OK to keep the iPod attachted to my mac when it's sleeping? (the mac, not the iPod...)

It's perfectly OK. It will NOT drain a sleeping laptop's battery -- when the laptop is sleeping, the FireWire ports are shut off.

As long as the iPod doesn't have the "Do Not Disconnect" warning on its screen, you may disconnect the iPod without taking any extra steps.

#3 - The iPod was charging with the AC adaptor last night; it was fully charged, but I haven't disconnect the AC adpator yet. Then the power when off... when it came back, the iPod started recharging again, although it was fully charged... should I wait for it to fully charge again?..

Nah. Just use it. It'll take a couple of recharge cycles for the battery capacity to stabilize anyway.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules