Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > --Help putting a Mac mini in my car dashboard!

--Help putting a Mac mini in my car dashboard!
RandyJS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2005, 10:28 PM

Hello everyone!!

I have recently switched to a Mac a little more than a year ago, and since then I have been fascinated with Mac products. So far I own and iMac G4, Powerbook G4, iPod Photo 40 gig, iPod 20gig, an Airport Express, and now I am getting a mini to install in my car!

I however, am running into a few problems, as I am no expert yet!

Here are some of the functions that I want to include in the car.

- Navigation System (complete w/voice control)
Does anyone know of a good Mac GPS receiver and navigation software to go along with it? I would prefer a USB GPS receiver, as it will be the most easy to install on the mini! I am having a hard time finding Mac compatable receivers....

- Music/MP3 Player with visualizations (iTunes) - Complete with voice controls - Will Mac OSX's voice software work for what I want the system to do with voice controls?

- DVD Player via Apple's DVD player in OSX

- Touch Screen LCD and a customizable user interface. I was thinking that using some kind of widget program would work best for creating the interface, as the dock would be kind of hard to work with on a touchscreen LCD! Also, I want programs to be launched by voice control and voice commands also. --- anyone know of a good widescreen LCD 8" touchscreen with drivers for Mac OSX?

- Slideshows (iPhoto)

- Bluetooth cell phone connectivity for both GPRS internet and hands free cell phone conversation. Does anyone know if OS X will enable one to use the Mac's internal microphone and speakers for cell phone conversations via bluetooth?

-Backup battery or UPS? - This is perhaps my biggest hurdle. I was originally going to use a power inverter with a battery UPS backup attached, but I was told not to because it could harm the computer! I need some kind of UPS so that I can put the computer to sleep so I do not have to continually restart it everytime I get into my car. I do not know how much power sleep mode takes, but I know that my Powerbook can go days, maybe even weeks in sleep mode. I know the mini probably is not the same, but I am sure it can go more than a week on a battery UPS in sleep mode!

As for the power, how should I wire it to ensure proper voltage/wattage as to not harm any of my components? The Mac mini runs on 85 watts, and I am sure that an 8" widescreen touch LCD will run on much less than that! Keep in mind also, that I will have 4+ USB devices also connected to the mini (bluetooth module, GPS USB receiveer, touchscreen overlay, and maybe some other things)

I plan on making the system in my home and testing it in either a Ford F-150 or Mustang for 2 weeks. I do not want to permanantly install it untill I get my new car in the spring!

Please either reply to this message, or visit and bookmark the site where I will be posting all of my progress with pictures and details.

Any contributions are appreciated. I have many questions and am trying to do this project the right way!

the site... www.smartcar.nicolemacri.com

Thank you,
Randy
Help me with integrating a Mac mini into the
dashboard of my car, complete with
Navigation, internet, bluetooth and other
"goodies."

the URL is smartcar.nicolemacri.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules