Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Would the iBook be good for web/print graphics?

Would the iBook be good for web/print graphics?
rado30
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2000, 01:08 PM

I am looking at getting an iBook and I need some questions answered.
First, I'd be using the iBook primarily for graphic design, web design and internet use, no gaming. I want to know how the iBook handles programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash...etc... I am aware that these programs are memory hogs so if I got an iBook I'd put at least a 192mb of ram in if not max out the ram. I do a lot of freelance design and I am finding I am needing to be more mobile with my work since most of the people I do designs for still use PC's. I wouldn't be doing all of my designing on the iBook I do have a iMac at home with the iMaxpower 466Mhz upgrade card, but the portability of the iBook would make my work a lot easier.
The reson I am looking at the iBook instead of a Powerbook is, the price is right, I am still getting my freelancing going and I just don't have the cash for a top-of-the-line Powerbook. So I quess my real question is could the iBook be used as serious graphics computer, with the enough ram of course?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2000, 02:09 PM

You must have only recently invested in the iMaxpower, now iBook?

A new iBook has faster bus, processor, but costs nearly same as G4/400.

Size of screen.

I'd have said get a G4, instead of upgrading iMac and looking at iBook. And add zip 250 ATAPI or SCSI to the G4. Start w/ 256MB and add 2nd IDE. Also 17" monitor or LCD 15.

Serious? No. Could you use it to take to a client? Yes - Network the iMac and iBook, over ethernet?

I would get the PowerBook 2000/400. Even if it meant selling the iMac to do so. A current iBook is superior to first models, but $1800+ and $800 more would pay for PowerBook, which is superior to iMac as well and has 14" screen rather than 12 (iBook) or 13.8" on iMac.

Greg

bap2
Mar 30, 2000, 05:16 PM

Although i do agree with the previous post in that you should probably attempt to sell your iMac and buy a powerbook, i also understand there may be extenuating circumstances keeping you from doing so (i.e. your wife/kids still use it). if you think portability will make your life easier by all means don't get a G4. G4's and ibooks cater to two totally different market groups, and if you're seriously on the lookout for a portable, having a tower around will only make you more miserable, even if it means a faster computer.

so if you don't want to do in the iMac, i can definately say all the main adobe products work pretty well on my ibook with 128 megs of ram. though the more programs you have open the more battery power will be used. you shouldn't worry about the functionality of these programs on an ibook, they can definately handle it. but i would be concerned as the above person was, on the size of the screen, and also if you are a serious designer, the intricate differences in the appearance of colors on an LCD compared to a CRT. it's a very good screen, but if you're pedantic about your colors, you might want to rethink buying a portable. the powerbook isn't any better in that respect, both have quality LCD screens, but they are still LCD. however the powerbook DOES have video out.

good luck in your deicision. remember it is possible, but is it preferable? and that's something only you can answer.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2000, 06:12 PM

An iBook is not good for serioius graphic design. The iBook has an LCD display and no video out. You need a CRT display when working with graphics because the colors change as soon as you move your head with an LCD display.

If you need to use a portable Mac for graphic design, you must get a PowerBook because it has video out (for a CRT display).

Peter Harger
Mar 31, 2000, 12:59 PM

I have an iBook 300 w/ 96mb and OS8.6, I use Flash 4, Corel Draw and Photo Paint, Painter 6, Poser 4, all work fine, no quirks or undue slowness, even with multiple apps open. Screen of course is only 12" and resolution only 800x600, but that's why it costs less. If you're on a budget and you're not a professional it's a great buy. I was hesitant as well before buying it, now feel quite satisfied.

iralph
Apr 1, 2000, 06:31 AM

hi. i use an iBook for the design and production of all my web graphics. although i would prefer a new PowerBook with an external monitor, i am extremely happy with the iBook.

remember this. your true ability as a designer is totally dependant on your creativity. even the most powerful supercomputer is useless if you are not able to cut from the creative aspect. your computer is therefore only a tool -- your mind sets your creative expressions.

i was able to set up, start and succesfully create my web/site design business using a Performa with only 64mb ram!

not even the sky is a limit ... good luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules