Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread!

Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread! (Page 4)
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 02:39 PM

Does Airborne recycle tracking numbers? When I track my shipment online, I get my info, plus old shipment info for 2 other people, one dated in April and one from July. That doesn't seem very secure.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 02:42 PM

yes, they reuse tracking numbers, and rather quickly it seems.

skateray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 03:13 PM

My Powerbook shipped via Airborne today:

From the U of Mich Educational Store(online). Order placed over phone to apple:

1.25 Ghz
60 gig
2x256 (512)
Combo
Backlit keyboard
Airport

w/ 20 gig iPod (shipped)-Airborne
w/ hp deskjet 5650 (shipped/arrived)-FedEx

the ipod's tracking just got on Airborne's website (finally) so i hope i get to track the PB by tomorrow!!

bonk
Sep 22, 2003, 03:18 PM

Just placed an order for a 17" powerbook, upgraded the HD to 5400 rpm

woot! My first laptop.

Gollogly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 03:56 PM

MINE IS HERE!!!!

I just got my 15incher today. Rather funny, i called airborne in the morning, asked when it would arive, the lady said that it would be there late afternoon. so i go to the movie store. On the way back i see the airborne truck rolling out of my driveway, I start flashing my lights honking the horn...STOP NOT MY POWERBOOOK I CANT WAIT ANOTHER DAY!!!!....He stopped and looked at me as if i was loonie, that and i was wearing and apple shirt when he gave me the powerbook....scared me thought i was going to miss it. So i got to play with it all day, this back lit keyboard f'n rocks, same with the action of the keys.

This is my first mac, and i am so happy. i have always worked on them at work, but this is my first personal one. OMG im in love although the superdrive sounds like it is breaking my cd's every time it takes them in.

Good luck waiting guys, its worth it this thing is amazing

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 04:02 PM

I just got off the phone with Airborne. What a pile of pissers. They said my PB hadn't arrived in the local office yet, they couldn't really track it; but, "oh it should be delivered in the next 24 to 48 hours." 2 days? Give me an f'ing break!
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 04:08 PM

The PB I ordered on Wednesday finally shipped this morning...

*waiting anxiously*
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
I just got off the phone with Airborne. What a pile of pissers. They said my PB hadn't arrived in the local office yet, they couldn't really track it; but, "oh it should be delivered in the next 24 to 48 hours." 2 days? Give me an f'ing break!
Yup, had the very same thing happen to me. It sounds like the Airborne guys cant track squat. PB shipped on Thursday. I called Friday cause the web tracking wasnt working and was told that the PB was stuck in customs. Called Saturday to see if it had made it out and was told it was on shcedule to be delivered Monday. Called to day to see if it was being delivered and was told they cant track it other than that it was in transit. Go figure.

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 06:54 PM

ok, so i spoke with apple re: the ground shipping status on the airborne tracking info when we paid for 2 day. the person i spoke with said that airborne just lists ground whenever a package is coming from overseas. when it gets to the Apple distribution site (Illinois) in the U.S., it will take 2-3 days to get to us. so he said we should get it by thursday or friday. (cross fingers)

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 07:25 PM

For those who have had theirs shipped and have funky tracking numbers (not working):

Where did the item ship from according to the Apple Email?

I got a invoice and ship receipt the claims the item shipped form :

F/G Distribution Center
Elk Grove, Ca 95758

Is this the case with everyone?

toby

djmpower
Sep 22, 2003, 07:31 PM

I got my shipping email at about 2:00 Eastern today, but still haven't received my invoice. Has anyone else not received their invoice as of yet? Can I call Apple and get the waybill number or do I have to wait for the invoice email?

Thanks

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by cing2x:
ok, so i spoke with apple re: the ground shipping status on the airborne tracking info when we paid for 2 day. the person i spoke with said that airborne just lists ground whenever a package is coming from overseas. when it gets to the Apple distribution site (Illinois) in the U.S., it will take 2-3 days to get to us. so he said we should get it by thursday or friday. (cross fingers)
I got the same response from Apple today. The guy told me that those who've paid for the expedited shipping will receive expedited shipping, even though Airborne's site says otherwise. Seems like the Apple reps are better informed than Airborne on its shipments. We'll see I guess.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by djmpower:
I got my shipping email at about 2:00 Eastern today, but still haven't received my invoice. Has anyone else not received their invoice as of yet? Can I call Apple and get the waybill number or do I have to wait for the invoice email?

Thanks
I would just wait. It was a few hours between my shipment notice and when I received the invoice via email. You'll probably get it this evening.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 07:40 PM

Thanks
ALPB15(CTO) shipped yesterday.

Invoice ( F/G Distribution Center Elk Grove, Ca 95758) came tonite. My daughter will be pumped!
( Last edited by Kahpoosta Kid; Sep 22, 2003 at 08:09 PM. )
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
For those who have had theirs shipped and have funky tracking numbers (not working):

Where did the item ship from according to the Apple Email?

I got a invoice and ship receipt the claims the item shipped form :

F/G Distribution Center
Elk Grove, Ca 95758

Is this the case with everyone?

toby
that's what it says on my invoice too. but on the tracking screen, it says it's coming from:

APPLE COMPUTER CONS DISTR
Franklin Park, IL 60131

skateray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 08:50 PM

Thanks
My PB shipped this afternoon around that time...and still no invoice... Airborne has a bad tracking system...

Waveman
Sep 22, 2003, 09:03 PM

Airborne's tracking system really is frustrating. I got the shipping email notice this morning. When I entered the # on Airborne's site, it said that the # couldn't be found. The e-invoice came this afternoon. I tried entering the waybill # on Airborne's site, and got the same response.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 09:23 PM

Everyone, repeat after me:

* * * R E L A X * * *

Bill "Just-Received-Invoice-Six-Hours-After-
Shipping-Notification"

HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
Everyone, repeat after me:

* * * R E L A X * * *

Bill "Just-Received-Invoice-Six-Hours-After-
Shipping-Notification"

I agree. I swear I can hear the heavy breathing on this thread!

It is almost comical the way Airborne runs their tracking page.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 10:21 PM

It's hard to relax. It's as if Christmas is right around the corner, but no one can tell you exactly which day it will fall on.

Anyway, my tracking number has stopped working altogether. Guess you're allowed only so many page reloads before Airborne revokes your privileges.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 10:33 PM

I placed my order 4-days ago and my order status is STILL "Order Received."
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

bonk
Sep 22, 2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
I placed my order 4-days ago and my order status is STILL "Order Received."
I placed mine today and in less than an hour it's "open".

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2003, 10:51 PM

It's here!!!!!!!!!!

So I was out of town all day today, and checked the Airborne site at lunchtime to find that they'd unsuccessfully tried to deliver my PB a couple of hours earlier. At that point, of course, there was no doubting what to do ... I headed home early and swung by the local airport to rescue my prize from the Airborne warehouse.

Now I'm sitting out on my deck in the dark, typing away on a beautiful, softly-glowing keyboard, and I'm utterly happy. Without a doubt, this is the most gorgeous piece of technology I've ever seen.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 10:56 PM

Now I'm sitting out on my deck in the dark, typing away on a beautiful, softly-glowing keyboard, and I'm utterly happy. Without a doubt, this is the most gorgeous piece of technology I've ever seen. [/B][/QUOTE]

Congratulations!! Everything is as it should be.

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Montanan:
It's here!!!!!!!!!!

So I was out of town all day today, and checked the Airborne site at lunchtime to find that they'd unsuccessfully tried to deliver my PB a couple of hours earlier. At that point, of course, there was no doubting what to do ... I headed home early and swung by the local airport to rescue my prize from the Airborne warehouse.

Now I'm sitting out on my deck in the dark, typing away on a beautiful, softly-glowing keyboard, and I'm utterly happy. Without a doubt, this is the most gorgeous piece of technology I've ever seen.
I never get invoice deals, all I get is fricken shipment notifications.
Whats up with that?
\

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Kahpoosta Kid:
Congratulations!! Everything is as it should be.

Yep, it sure is!

And thanks ...

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by bonk:
I placed mine today and in less than an hour it's "open".
Should I cancel my current order (ADC student + Apple Loan) and try again?...or just wait it out?

MacTheKnife
Sep 22, 2003, 11:30 PM

BTW, folks, if you really must know why Apple chose to rush these shipments from Taiwan directly to your doorstep, risking your two-day shipping wrath: 9/30 is the cut-off for another fiscal quarter...

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 11:36 PM

ordered on the 18th, shipped on the 19th and received it today.
Airborne's tracking system is a joke, my # still does not show in the system yet when I called earlier today they pulled it up. Needless to say be careful with Airborne, they just left my unit sitting at the door. I have never had any shipper leave a $$$ item at the door.

xtoph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 11:47 PM

Deep breaths... :-)

It's actually VERY reassuring that they're starting to arrive for some folks. Congrats!

I'm trying to do most of my "venting" in this thread, it keeps me polite with Airborne and Apple reps on the phones :-)

Also for some of us there's a financial factor beyond the $15 shipping charge -- if I do not "take delivery" of the iPod and PowerBook before 9/27, the $200 rebate is void!

It seemed like a sure thing when the projected arrival date was 9/18, but now it's starting to get scary.

Worst case I can go out and buy the stuff at the store on 9/27 and then return this one whenever it arrives. But maybe tomorrow will be the day!

joeyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 08:32 AM

Yesterday I tracked my 15" BTO. It said it had shipped from apple's disstribution center in IL and I was on track for deliver tomorrow. Now,, my tracking number has vanished, and when I called the 800 number, the woman I spoke with said that my package hasn't shipped yet and that it's somewhere in Shanghai.

WTF?

The funny part is, I'll actually get it tomorrow and airborne will still not know where it is.

--joe

xtoph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 11:19 AM

Woohoo! Powerbook just arrived! Airborne's website still doesn't think it has shipped yet! ;-)

This will give me plenty to do while waiting for the iPod (which might even arrive later today!)

Not much work getting done today! :-)

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:27 AM

Getting closer!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by xtoph:
Also for some of us there's a financial factor beyond the $15 shipping charge -- if I do not "take delivery" of the iPod and PowerBook before 9/27, the $200 rebate is void!
While this doesn't apply to you anymore , I figure I'd still post this for others. I also noticed that stipulation and wondered how it would affect an edu 12" PB + iPod order, since most 12" PB wouldn't get to people by the 27th.

I had called the phone number listed on the BTS edu rebate, and the person I spoke with said not to worry about the "take possession" stipulation of the terms/conditions. If you order by the 27th, that's good enough... you have 30 days to send in the rebate (read: postmarked) from the purchase date.

So anyone holding back based on that specific term/condition, call up the phone number on Apple's BTS rebate and find out for yourself
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

geeoff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 11:31 AM

I ordered my Powerbook 15" (1.25ghz/Combo/60gig/Backlit/AE) on Friday online from the Apple Education Store. They had originally listed it as shipping Friday Sept. 26, but I just got notification that it has shipped already. I didn't expect a built-to-order option to ship so soon. I guess the Powerbook gods are finally being nice to me (after letting one of my friends drop a cup of tea on my 15" tiBook in April). Oddly enough, the 20gig iPod has yet to ship.

djmpower
Sep 23, 2003, 11:44 AM

For those that have received their powerbooks, when were they shipping? I'm trying to figure out how long it will take airborne to get it here (no status as of yet on their page - only sender/receiver info).

I got my shipment notification yesterday saying that it shipped on 9/23 (probably due to time zone differences).

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
Getting closer!
It STILL says "Order Received." 5-days ago it was ordered from the Student ADC Online Store with the Apple Loan from MBNA. I am getting rather frustrated.

xtoph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 11:58 AM

For those that have received their powerbooks, when were they shipping? I'm trying to figure out how long it will take airborne to get it here (no status as of yet on their page - only sender/receiver info).

I got my shipment notification yesterday saying that it shipped on 9/23 (probably due to time zone differences).
In the end, mine 'shipped' on 9/18 and arrived on 9/23 -- three business days after it shipped, just like I paid extra for. (An Apple phone person reminded me that the promise was '2-3 days'.)

Airborne's site never said ANYTHING useful -- whatever it did show was never consistent with anything else. The only accurate information I got was on the phone from Apple.

So based on my sample size of one :-) I would say trust Apple, not Airborne.

PS: good to know the rebate isn't being strict about the 'take posession' thing!

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 12:02 PM

For those of you who ordered an iPod on the Education Rebate deal ... for my personalized 20GB, I just received the eMail Invoice (one hour after the Shipment Notification) which indicated:

INVENTEC APPLIANCES CO LTD
Shanghai,�A200233
China

Weight: 2261
Pieces: 4

It's gonna' be a bigun'

I guess we're politically correct ... PowerBoook from Taiwan, iPod from the mainland ...

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by xtoph:
Woohoo! Powerbook just arrived! Airborne's website still doesn't think it has shipped yet! ;-)
Same here! Mine just came through the door and Airborne has no idea.

Ordered 9/17, stock 1.25GHz 15-inch.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 01:25 PM

Just to keep everyone happy, 1:30pm est Airborne Tracking sez:

9/23/03 3:25 pm
Left Airborne Station Taoyuan,�ATaiwan

I think Taoyuan is Taiwan's airport.

ctishue21
Sep 23, 2003, 01:27 PM

Just remember that 9/23 in Taiwan was yesterday. It's 1:30AM on 9/24 in Taiwan now, so your powerbook could already be here. The 12 hour difference putting Taiwan in the future and sometimes a day ahead could be what is messing up airborne's tracking.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 02:08 PM

Thankfully, mine was delivered earlier today. Nothing on the status page, then voom! It was there, saying it had been delivered. I haven't been home yet, so I don't know what it's like yet. I'm leaving in about 20 mins...WAHOOO! I have been waiting since January for an aluminized 15-inch.

geeoff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 02:28 PM

Hmm, my Powerbook was shipped today, but the Airborne tracking page lists it as shipping from Franklin Park, Illinois. Is that where the build-to-order units ship from?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by geeoff:
Hmm, my Powerbook was shipped today, but the Airborne tracking page lists it as shipping from Franklin Park, Illinois. Is that where the build-to-order units ship from?
I believe that is where they are shipped in bulk, and from there they go either by ground or air (depending on what you specified) to the recipients.

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 02:33 PM

Mine is coming in on October 2 and I ordered it on Sept 16!!! I can't wait! I wish I could speed up time.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 03:32 PM

Airborne actually updated my shipping info (using waybill number). It is now in chicago!

CobaltGT
Sep 23, 2003, 04:02 PM

PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/80/CMBO 1 1 2,119.00 2,119.00
Original ordered material was Z07E
SerialNo.: ( XXXXXXXXXXXX )

The unit above contains the following options:

Processor 065-4116 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
Memory 065-4139 512MB DDR333 SDRAM-2X256MB
Hard Drive 065-4118 80GB Ultra ATA Drive@4200rpm
Optical Drive 065-4402 Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Country Kit 065-4496 Country Kit/Airport Extreme
Keyboard/Mac OS Language 065-4495 BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Subtotal 2,119.00

Tax 148.33

Shipping Charges

TOTAL USD 2,267.33
DO NOT PAY
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
Questions? Call (800) 676-2775 Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6pm CT
Salesperson Contact Entry Date Ship Date Routing Waybill Number
BD 09/18/03 09/22/03 AIRBORNE 770917265
Shipped From:
F/G Distribution Center
Elk Grove, Ca 95758

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 04:38 PM

Airborne is the most worthless operation I've ever had the displeasure of working with. They have never gotten any of my deliveries right, and I hate the fact that Apple uses them.

One time, they delivered some crucial software to a neighbor I didn't know. It took me a week to figure out what happened.

I can't tell you how nervous it makes me that they're the ones delivering my PB.

Sorry to spook anyone else, but I just had to vent.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
It STILL says "Order Received." 5-days ago it was ordered from the Student ADC Online Store with the Apple Loan from MBNA. I am getting rather frustrated.
UPDATE:

After being on the phone for the better part of two hours, I finally got to the bottom of my dilema. It seems that there is poor communitcation between the different departments at Apple. ADC didn't know that I was using an Apple Loan (even though it was specified on the web and over the phone) and Apple Lone didn't know that I had an order placed. Well, I taked to enough "supervisors" that everything should be worked out. If not, I have a direct line to one of the guys I talked to. So hopefully, I will get my new PB by next week sometime.

Forum Links
Forum Rules