Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Pixelmator anyone?

Pixelmator anyone?
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2007, 01:34 PM

I was surfing the net when I found this application preview page:

Pixelmator

I think adobe may listen to this people ideas.... or it will be Adobe for PC and Pixelmator for Mac. You see I've been working with Photoshop and Macs for almost 10 years, and this is the first time I think an outsider app maybe turn superior or better than Photoshop... I mean, check it out. and it's just version 1.0 ! If this baby can work with my filters, count me in!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 02:40 PM

Correction: It is not version 1.0. It's currently nonexistent, and all the images on its Web site were made in Photoshop. The fact that it's supposed to use a funny-looking interface doesn't tell me anything about whether or not it works well. So I mean, maybe it will be good, maybe it won't — we'll see.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 8, 2007, 04:42 PM

is it not just PS with diff interface and some new technology?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 04:44 PM

And like $900 cheaper. And actually not any new technology, though it is different technology than what is used in Photoshop.
Chuck
___

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 8, 2007, 05:11 PM

so it does exsist then?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 06:10 PM

As a product that people can use, apparently not. As a group of specs on a Web site, yes.
Chuck
___

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 8, 2007, 06:26 PM

its just a concept, tbh the interface looks nice, but for the time being ill stick with PS CS3

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2007, 06:39 PM

I swear, I'd like a good Photoshop replacement as much as the next guy, but that Web site just doesn't sit right with me. For instance: "Because the Pixelmator Team is so serious about improving Pixelmator, every 1.X update will be given an unusual software name. For example, the first version of Pixelmator, codenamed Firestarter, is called Pixelmator 1.0 Firestarter."

They prove that they're serious about it…by giving it cute names? Wha? Is that sarcasm?
Chuck
___

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 9, 2007, 04:55 AM

tbh almost feels like a scam, and whats wrong with PS, PS is fantastic if u use it correctly with the rest of the CS and done rely on it too much, i mainly use Illustrator.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 9, 2007, 07:38 AM

Their blog said they demo'd it at something called the Delicious Developer party. There's a video of that on TUAW. Looks nothing close to Photoshop.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
tbh almost feels like a scam, and whats wrong with PS, PS is fantastic if u use it correctly with the rest of the CS and done rely on it too much, i mainly use Illustrator.
Yes, I guess Photoshop is perfectly fine if you don't really need to use it. That seems like kind of a cockeyed idea of "fantastic," though. Illustrator is not very good at all for retouching photos.
Chuck
___

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 9, 2007, 03:53 PM

PS works fine for touching up photo's it just happens that most of my work atm is Vector Based, i cant see how u can say that program is better from the 3 min video which is the worst demo ive seen, shows all the features that PS has that are all the same, only diff is interface which is nice, but the PS CS3 one is just fine. yes its good when u think ur saving $900 or whatever but it lacks sinq with rest of CS3.

Matt

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
PS works fine for touching up photo's it just happens that most of my work atm is Vector Based, i cant see how u can say that program is better from the 3 min video which is the worst demo ive seen, shows all the features that PS has that are all the same, only diff is interface which is nice, but the PS CS3 one is just fine. yes its good when u think ur saving $900 or whatever but it lacks sinq with rest of CS3.
I guess the question is whether you use the entire Creative Suite or whether Photoshop + Illy would be good enough for you. If the latter, and the integration that exists there isn't so important to you (it doesn't mean much to me), then a good bitmap editor (maybe Pixelmator) + Lineform could save you a fairly large chunk of cash.

And I haven't looked at the interface on Pixelmator, but I can definitely think of some improvements I'd like to see to Photoshop's interface.
Chuck
___

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 9, 2007, 04:31 PM

no use for me cause i use the whole lot, i have to be able to cover Web (which is good enough as a standalone, dont need CS intergration) Flash, Logo Design, Graphic Design, Photography, Moving Image, ect

for a photographer then yes i suppose its a cheaper equivalent for PS

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2007, 08:04 AM

Let's be real here, this is not a war between Pixelmator and PSC3, This is not about what can Pixelmator can deliver that PSCS3 don't and viceversa. This is about another option that can deliver the same features than PSCS3 for less. In my opinion (a Graphic Artist who owned CS3 Design Premium) I think if this goes on sale, and it really let you work with PSD files and uses Filters and interact with another graphic arts apps, I think PSCS3 will have a nemesis and it will be a nightmare for Adobe. Remember when Corel appear from nowhere with a Photoshop wannabe app? I know a couple of printers stores that used Corel today and think it is better than PS. So, Imagine an Application with all the guts of PSCS3 for a lot less. I will be waiting for the beta, just to see how Adobe will react to it and buying it for security. Pixelmator looks Mac, feels Mac, and In my opinion Adobe it getting too more PC-like when I work with it. The new interface it's just too generic. The Pixelmator interface is more cool. I don't want to feel old working with my creativity tools, I want to feel creative... and Pixelmator will deliver just that. let's wait... I hope it comes alive someday.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 11, 2007, 08:17 AM

i really like the new PSCS3 interface, i think they have thought about it alot and made an interface that works for all

and i think everything is gonna be compared to PS because its industry standard for what it does, and i dont know stats, but im sure its market share is huge, so anything that comes along has to be better to be a competitor, yes if u are someone who just wants to touch up photos then vaule for money looks like a good option.

i mean yes it looks nice, the transparent interface allows you to throw pallets around which is nice but other than that i dont see how its any diff from PS, i mean ill give the beta ago, i cant compleatly dismis it untill then, but im not exsecting to make the change, The rest of CS wins it for me, cause if u need them anyway ur gonna buy the CS so whats the point in buying that ontop?

Matt

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2007, 06:51 PM

Screencast online : TUAW Exclusive: Pixelmator in-depth screencast - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

This looks awesome, hopefully someone can throw us MacNN users a few invites...
we don't have time to stop for gas

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2007, 09:57 PM

Pixelmator is getting closer... Almost the same functions and features as PSCS3... cheaper and cooler.... mmm I can't wait to see that app!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 12:38 PM

i hope this is a hit when it's released...i'll gladly fork over $60 for an app that takes a semi different approach than what adobes been force feeding us lately. don't get me wrong, i don't think this'll stop me from using ps anytime soon, but if the learning curve is simple i definitely am willing to use it as much as i can as long as it doesn't have any major snafu's.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post
Pixelmator is getting closer... Almost the same functions and features as PSCS3... cheaper and cooler.... mmm I can't wait to see that app!
I took a look. It doesn't even seem to come close to what PS CS3 offers. Maybe a good competitor to Paint.NET, but nothing like PS CS3.

Super Mario
Aug 14, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Screencast online : TUAW Exclusive: Pixelmator in-depth screencast - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

This looks awesome, hopefully someone can throw us MacNN users a few invites...
About as awesome as Kai's Power Goo.

I like how Borat's cousin narrated the video. Fat chance I'll be giving my credit card details to anyone on that side of the Volga.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:04 PM. )

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 08:00 PM

It's never good when an application gets a monopoly status like Photoshop does.

PS3 costs an insane, effing 1000$!

I am very curious about Pixelmator. To design a modern photo editing and manipulation from ground up means they can start from modern software programming from today's best know-how. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but doesn't Adobe's Photoshop still have several outdated concepts, which come from its long history?

Pixelmator doesn't have that long history, and it might be very fresh what comes out.

Competition is good.

When Apple was the sole provider of advanced photo editing software with Aperture, the clunky and buggy application cost 500$. Enter Adobe's Lightroom, and now you get either software for 279$.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 04:15 PM

Personally, I saw nothing fresh in Pixelmator. It looks nice, its UI is pretty, but I found it very difficult to actually use in some areas, and very good in others. But again, functionality wise its simply nothing like Photoshop.

I think people trying to compare it to Photoshop is only because very few painting apps exist in the low end. Compare this to PaintShop, Paint.NET, and maybe Photoshop Elements but its in a different class than full blown Photoshop.

Here is an example. I couldn't use Pixelmator for any real work in my print ads, web ads, my parents company's catalog, etc... But it would probably do well for my wife to do little things for newsletters we do or such.

Super Mario
Aug 19, 2007, 04:19 PM

I'm as curious about Pixelmator as I was about Cherry OS.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:00 PM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2007, 02:36 PM

so many people are soo content with what adobe offers its vomit inducing. you CAN do great advertisements and design without using ANYTHING from adobe if need be. Sure photoshop is streamlined with all other adobe apps, but since macromedias departure...ive been dying to get another set of apps to rival adobe to not only help drive lower costs for the software but to actually get adobe off their ass and get things done in a timely fashion just to keep up. im all for pixelmator (or any other app that rivals anything adobe does), everything has to start somewhere and i hope to see something like this (open source) starting up like firefox and slowly adopting more and more users as time goes by. im a HUGE adobe nerd and use In, Il and Ps all the time, but i lost a lot of respect for them after the long wait to go universal.

and who cares if all it does is the same thing that photoshop already offers, would you rather pay $1000 or $60 for the same software?

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
so many people are soo content with what adobe offers its vomit inducing. you CAN do great advertisements and design without using ANYTHING from adobe if need be. Sure photoshop is streamlined with all other adobe apps, but since macromedias departure...ive been dying to get another set of apps to rival adobe to not only help drive lower costs for the software but to actually get adobe off their ass and get things done in a timely fashion just to keep up. im all for pixelmator (or any other app that rivals anything adobe does), everything has to start somewhere and i hope to see something like this (open source) starting up like firefox and slowly adopting more and more users as time goes by. im a HUGE adobe nerd and use In, Il and Ps all the time, but i lost a lot of respect for them after the long wait to go universal.

and who cares if all it does is the same thing that photoshop already offers, would you rather pay $1000 or $60 for the same software?
I have to agree. Also, it feels like Adobe Apps are poorly ported windowz copies. They do nothing to integrate their software with the OSX experience. I hate to say it, but Microsoft does a better job than adobe at designing OSX apps. I used Pixelmator for a little while. It was buggy as hell and didn't have any hot keys a la photoshop, but I am looking forward to something a little snappier and lightweight, with a little more osx-native feel.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post

How about GIMP?

(I'm also not in the mood to blow 700$ on Photoshop right now, or 1000$ for the extended version with which you can work on video).

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 05:52 AM

Any decent graphics artist makes the cost of Creative Suite Design Premium back in 1-2 weeks. If you can't do that you're not good enough to be a freelancer and should consider working for a company. There's nothing wrong with Photoshop on OS X or Windows. It is the industry standard for a reason. It's bloody good.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:53 PM. )

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Any decent graphics artist makes the cost of Creative Suite Design Premium back in 1-2 weeks. If you can't do that you're not good enough to be a freelancer and should consider working for a company. There's nothing wrong with Photoshop on OS X or Windows. It is the industry standard for a reason. It's bloody good.
Hey... I am a freelance graphic artist, and let me tell you, we (GAs) use every graphic software at the same time we use PS, in fact back in 1992 I was working with Hilton for a Puerto Rico's South Hotel invitation card design and I was using COLOR IT! and ENHANCE both Microfrontier products at that time (I don't know if this exist today anyway) so, FYI we don't care how much cost, we care about productivuty and ease of use. And right now Adobe doesn't worth what they are asking for the CS3 bundle. I still can do the same and more faster with my old CS... ( I got my CS3 too) but when Pixelmator gets ready I'm going to make the switch! just let me play with pixelmator once and I will tell you if it worth it for a GA workflow. Adobe lost their target, they're losing their grip, even Fireworks CS3 it's more powerfull than CS3 right now... go and play with it a second and discover the truth. The next kill will be FW like they did on FHMX, when one App get too close, they eliminate it. That's the way it is.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post
Hey... I am a freelance graphic artist, and let me tell you, we (GAs) use every graphic software at the same time we use PS, in fact back in 1992 I was working with Hilton for a Puerto Rico's South Hotel invitation card design and I was using COLOR IT! and ENHANCE both Microfrontier products at that time (I don't know if this exist today anyway) so, FYI we don't care how much cost, we care about productivuty and ease of use. And right now Adobe doesn't worth what they are asking for the CS3 bundle. I still can do the same and more faster with my old CS... ( I got my CS3 too) but when Pixelmator gets ready I'm going to make the switch! just let me play with pixelmator once and I will tell you if it worth it for a GA workflow. Adobe lost their target, they're losing their grip, even Fireworks CS3 it's more powerfull than CS3 right now... go and play with it a second and discover the truth. The next kill will be FW like they did on FHMX, when one App get too close, they eliminate it. That's the way it is.
No, let me tell you the "way it is". I have Pixelmator. I have Photoshop CS3. I've been doing image work since 1987 on an Amiga and then Photoshop 2.5 on a Mac and so on. I have Photoshop CS3.

For normal consumers, Pixelmator is decent and good. For a graphic artist or anyone using it in a professional setting that needs to do more than simple work, its not.

So you, who does not have Pixelmator, are already calling it the winner. While I have Pixelmator and "telling it like it is".

I'm not trying to be abrasive here and I know I am being so and I apologize, but I get real annoyed by people who declare products winners simply by a small YouTube video or some screenshots. I too thought Pixelmator looked awesome. But that's what it is - looks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2007, 02:58 PM

Any decent graphics artist makes the cost of Creative Suite Design Premium back in 1-2 weeks.
Any decent graphics artist makes six figures a year? I know plenty of graphics artists who make OK money, but most don't make that much.
Chuck
___

Super Mario
Aug 26, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Any decent graphics artist makes six figures a year? I know plenty of graphics artists who make OK money, but most don't make that much.
I said Design Premium. That includes Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator. You should be gunning for $1000-2000 US a week if you can work in your own time seven days a week like most freelancers. $1000 is nothing. $800-1000 is how much a company will pay you (in Europe and most big US cities) for a 5 days a week 9-6 position.

In Europe starting pay for a Photoshop artist or web designer is 40,000 euros on average (mostly in the UK, £30,000) which equals $60,000 US. Freelance should be higher but you'll work seven days a week and do more work. It's all good. Photoshop is so easy after you learn all the tools that a spastic could use it. No offense to spastics
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:47 PM. )

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 08:00 PM

I'm not a freelance designer. Many aren't, or are professionals in other fields that could use a software like Photoshop, but at less inflated pricing, caused by the Adobe monopoly.

If Apple had the idea to start up a Photoshop competitor, well integrated with Aperture, that would be interesting.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Sounds realistic to me.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
No, let me tell you the "way it is". I have Pixelmator. I have Photoshop CS3. I've been doing image work since 1987 on an Amiga and then Photoshop 2.5 on a Mac and so on. I have Photoshop CS3.

For normal consumers, Pixelmator is decent and good. For a graphic artist or anyone using it in a professional setting that needs to do more than simple work, its not.

So you, who does not have Pixelmator, are already calling it the winner. While I have Pixelmator and "telling it like it is".

I'm not trying to be abrasive here and I know I am being so and I apologize, but I get real annoyed by people who declare products winners simply by a small YouTube video or some screenshots. I too thought Pixelmator looked awesome. But that's what it is - looks.
Thanks for the info.

But there's still hope that Pixelmator could evolve into something more serious... or do you think the design of the software laid out in a way it could never grow to be a true Photoshop competitor?

Super Mario
Aug 27, 2007, 05:28 AM

Pixelmator is made by some hacks in eastern Europe somewhere near Borat's house. It will never be a serious tool. Look at the problems with the latest build

Undo/Redo is not finished
Sometimes cursors fail to update when changing tools
Clone Stamp, Sharpen and Blur tools are not done yet
Full Screen editing mode is not available
Layers > Preserve Transparency does not work
Layers: Darker Color blending mode does not work
Type tool is buggy
Memory issues, memory leaks

They can't even get Undo/Redo finished yet.
And it doesn't support professional color gamuts and proofing.

You're better off with Paint Shop Pro under Boot Camp if you need a cheap editor.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:48 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 06:50 AM

Oh no. Leopard's latest build can't even get Address Book syncing right! It'll never be a finished product!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Super Mario
Aug 27, 2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Oh no. Leopard's latest build can't even get Address Book syncing right! It'll never be a finished product!
Cmon Erik. Those guys can't get undo/redo working after all those months of hype. Borat's cousin is still scratching his head about it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 07:09 AM

I dunno. It looks like an interesting product. It won't pry me away from Photoshop (having used every version since 0.89a until CS3), but you at least have to give them credit for trying to stir things up. GIMP sure as hell failed spectacularly, but that's the Open Source curse for you…

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Super Mario
Aug 27, 2007, 07:23 AM

They're not close to being the first to stir things up. Apart from the big ol Macromedia and some small companies there was always Paint Shop Pro which was always very good for low end cheapo Photoshop alternative.

What's this?
Anyone try it?

Pixel image editor � Welcome

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2007, 09:54 AM

Cmon Erik. Those guys can't get undo/redo working after all those months of hype. Borat's cousin is still scratching his head about it.
Undo/redo in a graphics app like this isn't necessarily as simple as it seems from a user's perspective. They also might not have started working on it until recently.

I mean, your assessment of the program does seem fair from the little I've seen, but undo/redo in a beta isn't exactly a canary for bad software.
Chuck
___

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2007, 07:22 PM

Pixelmator isn't out yet, and I know it will be the real deal... maybe the 1.0 will be a baby, but give it time and when it hit version 3.0 it will let PSC3 or CS4 or CS5 like a old guy with no tricks anymore. let's face it, life is a circle, what's new now it will be old tomorrow, or you think that Steve Jobs and Wosniak were the only geniuses that changed the world and thats it, maybe ... just maybe we'll find two new geniuses on another place that will change history. in this case, the revolution will be on Photo editing software, PSCS3 will be IBM like in the 70's and Pixelmator will be like Apple... I'm curious about what's going to happen here! let's get ready to rumble!

Conspiracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2007, 06:59 PM

Wow, that looks beautiful.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 02:18 AM

pixelmator is now out for free demo. you can also purchase the full version.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2007, 06:30 AM

SAY WHAT??

I will download it right now and check it out! I want to know if Pixelmator will fill out my emptyness... I know it's version 1.0 but I hope I get something great!

OreoCookie
Sep 26, 2007, 04:11 PM

I've had the opportunity to play with it for a while and I really like it. Some features are missing so that it doesn't integrate into my Aperture workflow directly, but it does what I ask for. As soon as I get 16 bit tiff support and level curves, I'm happy.

BTW, I've used it with 64 MP (16 x 4 MP) canvasses and it works just fine. And fast. Although I must admit, I haven't applied any complicated filters or so.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2007, 08:03 AM

BAD FIRST EXPERIENCE.

Maybe it's my Mac (a PowerMac G4) or maybe it's just for Mactels... but I try to open one PSD file and took about 5 minutes to open it up. Then I open another 300dpi TIFF file of a model and try to clone a skin defect and suddenly the beach ball of hell appear from no where and let me hanging for about 4 minutes... I'm sad and disapointed about that app if they want to battle Adobe PSC3 thay need to work more and lower the price of their next version 2.0 (still beta for me) of Pixelmator. I love how it looks on my monitor but I need more than looks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 12:10 PM

yeah...its a bit of a rough start, but for a free demo its not too bad.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 27, 2007, 12:19 PM

The most compelling part of Pixelmator is the dev team. It's only a 2-man team but it looks like they'll be sending a constant stream of updates to the app.

I find this much better than waiting 2-3 years for a paid upgrade.

Who knows, if these guys are serious, maybe we'll see all the requested features put in within the next year. And probably in 2 years from now, this app will have overtaken PS in terms of features.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Who knows, if these guys are serious, maybe we'll see all the requested features put in within the next year. And probably in 2 years from now, this app will have overtaken PS in terms of features.
I wish them luck. Always rooting for individuals that take on a big company (Adobe).

But what about the quality?

Features aren't everything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules