Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Expansion Bay Door

Expansion Bay Door
quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2002, 01:55 PM

Ok, this may seem picky but it's important to me. The little door on the expansion bay in my Pismo has come off. It doesn't appear broken, but I can't seem to get it back on. It looks like it would require taking the case apart. I'm not a hardware guy, but I can see there are a bunch of screws. Will I mess something up if I take these out? will the bay be open so I can get at it to replace the little door?

uberden
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2002, 02:57 PM

There is more to removing the top case than just removing the screws. The display needs to come off and various cables need to be unplugged. These ribbon cables are VERY fragile and are damaged quite easily. You may want to seek expert help on this.

quietjim  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by uberden:
There is more to removing the top case than just removing the screws. The display needs to come off and various cables need to be unplugged. These ribbon cables are VERY fragile and are damaged quite easily. You may want to seek expert help on this.
Thanks, I'm going to take your advice. This was just what I was looking for...I go back to the Apple II and I've found that I get a little too quick to get inside.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2002, 01:39 PM

I've done this dissasembly.

It's pretty involved. you essentially take everything apart except the motherboard and frame that reinforces the case, stiffening it.

google on a file called powerbook_fw.pdf for instructions.

It's time consuming, and you should go slow- if you have the door and the spring is still in there correctly, you should just have to superglue the door to the spring, depending on how it has come off. The other possibility is to glue the spring back to the inside floor of the case.

feel free to ask for more help.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules