Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printer and Scanner Recommendations

Printer and Scanner Recommendations
quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 11:19 AM

We are about to buy a new color inkjet printer (upgrading from an epson 740i), something in the 200-400 dollar range and I'd appreciate any recommendations. The printer will be on a network with a flat panel iMac and a Pismo, both using OS 10.2.1.

We're also looking for a scanner...any recommendations on that also appreciated.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 01:18 PM

Apparently this Canoscan LIDE 30 scanner (USB) is OS X compatible if you are using Photoshop 7.

Does anyone have this setup?

How would I use this with photoshop? A plug-in?

thanx...

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 04:22 PM

I have the Canoscan LiDE 30 working with PS7, to get it to work, you just use the Twain drivers that you can get from www.versiontracker.com. after you install the twain drivers, you go into PS, file -> import -> and select the canon scanner and it will work. it's pretty neat!

Also about your printer question. i have the Epson C80 and it's GREAT, quiet, fast and doesn't look too odd :-) asthetics are part of my buying decision of course! now, if you want to spend 400 bucks, you can get the C80wireless. it comes with a wireless print server that is compatible with Airport so you can just put it anywhere, and print to it. otherwise, i think you can get a network card for it as well. the printer itself is $130 from the Apple store and you can get the wireless print server seperately for $299. or you can get both together for $399. Hope this helps!

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by quietjim:
We are about to buy a new color inkjet printer (upgrading from an epson 740i), something in the 200-400 dollar range and I'd appreciate any recommendations. The printer will be on a network with a flat panel iMac and a Pismo, both using OS 10.2.1.

We're also looking for a scanner...any recommendations on that also appreciated.
As far as printers are concerned, I would recommend that you take a look at the HP 5550. For $150 you can't go wrong with a printer capable of 6 color printing. However, you will have to buy an additional cartridge ($25 for cartridge 58) to get 6 color quality printing at 4800X 1200 resolution.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 08:49 PM

Never buy a Canon product. Their Macintosh support is awful.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2002, 12:51 AM

Boy, do I love general unsupported opinions. I have a Canon s820 printer and a Canon 1240OU scanner. Both work quite well in OS 9 and X. In fact Canon was quite fast to get X drivers out for their equipment. The Canon scanner has Canoscan available for X as well as just plain vanilla twain. My only quibble so far is the difficulty getting custom paper sizes to work with the printer but this is a problem for all brand printers so far in OS X. If I were buying new right now I'd get the Lide 30 scanner since I have a USB 2 card installed and would like the faster scanning it offers.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 01:12 AM

If you like a company that supports Mac and OS X I would go with Epson on both accounts.

The Epson C80N (kind of expensive, but in your price range). It has individual color cartridges (why replace yellow when you've used all the blue). Epson's quartz technology is better than any other inkjet. (Epson uses a quartz crystal to release a precise droplet while all others use heat to expand the ink to produce a drop). I wish they would let more people know about it.

Also, check out Epsons drivers for their 1250 and 1260 scanners. One of the first companies with OSX support. If you want a very high end scanner, look at AGFA.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2002, 08:27 AM

If you want both a colour inkjet and a scanner - and you want them available over the net - try an HP OfficeJet G85 (with a JetDirect card.)

I don't know what the quality is like compared to other devices - but I like the idea of a combined scanner/printer/fax available over the net.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 01:27 PM

I too have been looking for a new printer and scanner. I've heard rave reviews about the Epson C80, good reviews about the Epson Photo 820 (check out Epson's clearance page for awesome deals on refurbs). I'm currently using an Epson 740 Color and its really performed wonderfully, besides the occasional ink drying. Canon makes some really great printers too. So does HP. I really don't want to buy another printer, but these days there are lots of great deals on new and refurbs. I think going Epson, Canon, or HP would each have their benefits and you'll find lots of people who love/hate each of them (my experience reading forums, mag/online reviews, etc).

As for scanners, I have read good things about both Canon and Epson, particularly the Epson 1250 and 1650 lines as well as Canon's CanoScans. The Canons only require USB connections (powered), so you won't need an AC plug. Also, I believe the new Canon LiDE scanners utilize USB 2.0 and have built-in support for OS X.1 and up. Again, because of its size and general quality, I assume HP would also be a safe bet.

I hope some of this info helps someone. In the meantime, I'll be looking over this thread for suggestions as well. Good luck in your search!

memyselfandimac
Oct 27, 2002, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
If you want both a colour inkjet and a scanner - and you want them available over the net - try an HP OfficeJet G85 (with a JetDirect card.)

I don't know what the quality is like compared to other devices - but I like the idea of a combined scanner/printer/fax available over the net.
Don't even think about this worthless POS (any of the G-series for that matter), will make your life a living hell, and as for the moment they do not even have a driver/SW that even half way works in 10.2.
Go to Version Tracker read the latest reviews of their software for the G series.
Go to HP support forums, it's not just Mac users that have problems with these units, PC users also.

IT'S A TOTAL POS.
HP ALL-IN-ONE SW IS A EVEN BIGGER POS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules