Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Epson 3000 w/ Ethernet

Epson 3000 w/ Ethernet
Exizl del Fuego
Feb 25, 2004, 12:01 AM

I dont suppose anyone out there is using the Epson Stylus COLOR 3000 printer with the ethernet module installed, are they? I've inhereted a fine arts computer lab with this printer, but it only has hookups for parallel, or Apple serial.

When I came in, the lab was using Mac OS 9, and this printer was hooked up to a B&W PowerMac G3 with a Keyspan Serial PCI card. the printer was hooked up to the PCI card, and the computer was running the Epson StylusRIP software to share the printer over Appletalk.

One of the reasons I was hired was to migrate the lab from OS9 to Mac OS X 10.3. Upon doing so, I tried setting the printer up by talking to the StylusRIP over Appletalk, and setting the profile to the Epson Stylus Color 3000 (which was a GimpPrint deal). The StylusRIP server rejects all jobs using this. I finally figured out that if I sent the job using a generic printer profile, then StylusRIP would accept it and print. But the print quality was really poor.

I tried plopping the serial pci card into a machine with 10.3. I installed the drivers, but couldn't get Mac OS X to ever see the printer. Really, for the time being, I could care less about being able to print postscript. I just want decent print quality.

So I was wondering how well the ethernet module worked on this machine. This would allow me to put the machine on the network while circumventing the StylusRIP software, and hopefully, by being able to print with the correct printer profile, I can get quality prints.

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 08:56 AM

Have a look at THIS LINK which describes how to do it in Jaguar. In Panther, you should be aware of

THIS PROBLEM

Also have a look at

THIS THREAD

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 04:13 PM

I'm running an Epson 3000 via ethernet card and OSX 10.3.2. I use StylusRIP v4.10A, which runs thru classic. Once Stylus is on, select from chooser. Add it to the printer list, which will select a printer description and you are good to go.

Originally posted by Exizl del Fuego:
I dont suppose anyone out there is using the Epson Stylus COLOR 3000 printer with the ethernet module installed, are they? I've inhereted a fine arts computer lab with this printer, but it only has hookups for parallel, or Apple serial.

When I came in, the lab was using Mac OS 9, and this printer was hooked up to a B&W PowerMac G3 with a Keyspan Serial PCI card. the printer was hooked up to the PCI card, and the computer was running the Epson StylusRIP software to share the printer over Appletalk.

One of the reasons I was hired was to migrate the lab from OS9 to Mac OS X 10.3. Upon doing so, I tried setting the printer up by talking to the StylusRIP over Appletalk, and setting the profile to the Epson Stylus Color 3000 (which was a GimpPrint deal). The StylusRIP server rejects all jobs using this. I finally figured out that if I sent the job using a generic printer profile, then StylusRIP would accept it and print. But the print quality was really poor.

I tried plopping the serial pci card into a machine with 10.3. I installed the drivers, but couldn't get Mac OS X to ever see the printer. Really, for the time being, I could care less about being able to print postscript. I just want decent print quality.

So I was wondering how well the ethernet module worked on this machine. This would allow me to put the machine on the network while circumventing the StylusRIP software, and hopefully, by being able to print with the correct printer profile, I can get quality prints.

Exizl del Fuego  (op)
Mar 2, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Westbo:
I'm running an Epson 3000 via ethernet card and OSX 10.3.2. I use StylusRIP v4.10A, which runs thru classic. Once Stylus is on, select from chooser. Add it to the printer list, which will select a printer description and you are good to go.
But this would only work from Classic, no? Or did you mean select it from the Print Center? If you meant the print center, then it is the selection of the printer description which fouls things up. Selecting the CUPS Epson Stylus 3000 printer description in Print Center (err.... Print Setup Utility, as it is now called) in Mac OS X 10.3 will cause the StylusRIP software to reject the print job. The only way I've been able to get StylusRIP to accept a print job from Mac OS X is by telling Print Setup Utility to use a generic postscript printer description.

bojangles
Senior User
Mar 3, 2004, 07:09 AM

Epson USB Adapter Kit
This USB adapter kit allows you to connect the following Epson inkjet printers listed below to USB ports on iMAC, G3, G4, and Windows 98 systems. This kit includes the parallel adapter cable that is 2 meters in length,CD-ROM with printer driver software and instruction booklet. The adapter is bi-directional, which allows the Epson status monitor to operate on all systems. It also supports the latest StylusRIP software version 4.10 which is available through Epson America.

I�ve never used it myself, but I�ve heard it works.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Exizl del Fuego  (op)
Mar 5, 2004, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the tip about the USB adapter. That'd be a much easier sell than the Ethernet module. Now... if only i could find one in stock...

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2004, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Exizl del Fuego:
But this would only work from Classic, no? Or did you mean select it from the Print Center? If you meant the print center, then it is the selection of the printer description which fouls things up. Selecting the CUPS Epson Stylus 3000 printer description in Print Center (err.... Print Setup Utility, as it is now called) in Mac OS X 10.3 will cause the StylusRIP software to reject the print job. The only way I've been able to get StylusRIP to accept a print job from Mac OS X is by telling Print Setup Utility to use a generic postscript printer description.

Hi Exizl,

It does run through Classic. Epson does not offer OSX drivers for the 3000 or StylusRIP. I have Classic running thru OSX. I've used Epson & Stylui with Quark, AI10 & PS7. Haven't tried with InDesign or any of the Adobe CS apps yet. But it should work. I created and placed aliases for Chooser and StylusRIP on the OSX desktop. Aliases for classic apps i.e, Quark5, AI9 and PS6 are the dock. (As you would with OSX apps, drag the classic app icon to the dock) Start StylusRIP, select it in chooser, go to print center, select the CUPS Epson Stylus 3000 description. StylusRIP will be then be added to your printer list. Remember however, each time you want to use the Epson thru StylusRIP, You must first activate it and select it in chooser. It will remain on until you quit or reboot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules