Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > System Specs Clarification on iMac G5

System Specs Clarification on iMac G5
cobra7869
Sep 3, 2004, 06:24 PM

The "tech" specs on Apple's website indicate the iMac has a 600Mhz front side bus on the 17" SD model. How does front size bus differ from system bus? Or does it not? Anyone know what the "system bus" is for the new iMac's. This is not indicated anywhere that I've seen.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by cobra7869:
Or does it not?
It doesn't.

System Bus = Frontside Bus

cobra7869  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
It doesn't.

System Bus = Frontside Bus
So that means the bus went from 167 to 600? That is a huge jump if I am understanding that correctly.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 07:11 PM

So that means the bus went from 167 to 600? That is a huge jump if I am understanding that correctly.
Yep.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2004, 07:30 PM

Yeah, and it's a G5, but what about that graphics card?
/sarcasm

AndrewP
Sep 3, 2004, 08:01 PM

Another tidbit here.... The CPU runs at a multiple of the bus speed. In the PM G5s the CPU runs at 2x the bus speed (900MHz, 1GHz, 1.25GHz). In the iMac it appears to be 3x the bus speed (533MHz, 600MHz). Other than to curb performance and reduce heat is there another reason for this?

Also, the fact that memory is single channel suggests further performance throttling...

I'm very interested to see this system benchmarked.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 08:55 PM

Also, the fact that memory is single channel suggests further performance throttling...
That's probably more just due to there being only two RAM slots. It wouldn't be fair to insist that people replace their stock RAM when they want to do any kind of upgrade to it.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

ddma
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 09:19 PM

Would the RAM automactically switch to dual channel when using pair of RAM? I heard some PC motherboards do.

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by AndrewP:
Other than to curb performance and reduce heat is there another reason for this?

I'm very interested to see this system benchmarked.
The reason for single channel memory is to cut cost and board space (quite significantly, in fact). As for the slower bus, since your memory bandwidth is cut in half by single-channel, high bus speeds are kinda pointless. 600MHz is probably past the upper limit of where you see any performance improvement at all, so why bother making it faster?

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 06:48 AM

The "tech" specs on Apple's website indicate the iMac has a 600Mhz front side bus on the 17" SD model. How does front size bus differ from system bus? Or does it not? Anyone know what the "system bus" is for the new iMac's. This is not indicated anywhere that I've seen.
By the way your SIG breaks the rules, you are only allowed 4 lines of text!!!
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules