Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" Fails to Boot After 10.3.6

17" Fails to Boot After 10.3.6
quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 09:32 AM

Yesterday I installed 10.3.6 on a 17" AlBook via Software Update. While the download/install appeared to go ok, on restart the machine shows the circling icon from disk checking. But the disk check never stops. I let it run for a while, then rebooted; let it run for a couple hours, turned it off, let it sit for a while and then tried letting it run overnight. Same result: endless circling.

This morning I mounted it to a 15" in target disk mode. I did Repair and it said successfully repaired; no repairs were noted however. I did notice one anomaly: on my 15" it indicates "Permissions enabled: Yes" ; on the 17" it says "Permissions enabled: No". The option to repair permissions was greyed out.

What should I do next?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 09:37 AM

Some other threads on this from people with similar problems. Might find more info there than starting a new thread on this.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bastula
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 01:31 PM

I had the same problem with my 15" 1 GHz AlBook. I ended up taking it to the Apple store, but they just told me that the only way to fix it was an archive and install. Luckily they did it from their 10.3.5 restore disk, so I didn't have to go back all the way to 10.3.0.

Sorry, but that is the only way around it.

quietjim  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2004, 01:59 PM

In the event, archive and reinstall is what I did. Worked fine.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

Zatt
Nov 24, 2004, 06:21 PM

I just had the same problem with my 15" PB. Same circling incon... endlessly circling... almost... hypnotizing...

Anyway, in a strange turn of events, I'm sitting here on my PC, looking for information on how to fix my Mac! It's usually the other way around!

Forum Links
Forum Rules