Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > faulty text-rendering

faulty text-rendering
Exizl del Fuego
Jan 16, 2006, 03:01 AM

Here's a peculiar one for you.

I have a slight problem with one of my portfolio site's pages. if you go to http://www.ryansdesigns.com/index.php?nav=design you'll see a slight list of projects.

In the first sentence for Seattle Publishing, I have the following code:
Code:
<p>I am currently doing contractual work for <a href='http://www.seattlepub.com'>Seattle Publishing</a>, a small publishing house . . . .
But what I get when rendered in Safari or Firefox is
Code:
I am currently doing contractual work for ,Seattle Publishing a small publishing house . . . .
The difference is subtle, but very obvious. The comma, which is typed to come after the linked "Seattle Publishing" is getting rendered IN FRONT OF the actual link. If I try embedding the comma into the link, then "a" gets rendered in front of the link. It's as if whatever comes directly after that one link (isn't an issue for the rest of the site) gets shuffled in front of the link on page render.

But the plot thickens! When I copied the text off the webpage to put it into this post, despite that comma being in front of the link on the page, it pasted from the clipboard in the correct position. I had to manually move the comma in front of "Seattle Publishing"

Any idea what's going on?

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2006, 08:39 AM

your css does this:

.ParagraphLeft a
{
position: relative;
float: left;
margin-right: 1em;
z-index: 2; /*NOTE: z-indexes allow img:hover and <a> to be accessable, otherwise the <p> styling covers them up.*/
}

floating the link is causing the problem.

Exizl del Fuego  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by registered_user
floating the link is causing the problem.
Hah! Thanks a bunch! That "a" rule was intended for the pictures so I wasn't associating it with the text. Makes perfect sense though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules