Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How long before my powerbook becomes obsolete?

How long before my powerbook becomes obsolete?
epsionbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 03:17 PM

Hey guys,

i know this is probably a question that nobody's worrying about, especially since people are still using computers way older than mine, but i have a 1.67 17 powerbook, and i am wondering when its gonna be useless. With the MBP's coming out and things switching to universal (which is probably answering my question), but the new programs coming out will they still work with mine?

I guess i am getting paranoid like all the other PB people... I like many got a pb for xmas.
17in pb - 1.67ghz 512
20gig hp+ipod blue case

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 03:35 PM

Universal Binary applications will work on both Intel machines (like the MacBook Pro) and PowerPC machines (like your PowerBook). Given the huge installed user base of PowerPC machines, it is unlikely that developers will move away from Universal Binary applications for at least several years. And even then, the only applications that are likely to be compiled as Intel-only will be ones with system requirements that no PowerPC machine could meet anyway.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Heavy
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 03:37 PM

Hey, I'm still considering a 15" powebook!

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 03:37 PM

Universal programs are just that - universal. They will work on your "old" PB. I'd guess universal binaries will continue to be released for a good five years or so. As a parallel, developers didn't stop releasing Windows 95-compatible software in any major way until well after Windows XP came out (2001, I think?).

I'd say you won't have to worry about programs not being written for PPC until after your computer starts feeling old and slow enough to warrant replacing anyway.

EDIT: Bah! Beaten to the punch.

ibook_steve
Mar 6, 2006, 03:38 PM

This has to be one of my most favorite posts I've read on here in a long time. The technical answer to your question is:

It already is!

Yes, that's right. Technically, Apple and all tech companies are working on the next version of any product you buy, so everything is really obsolete before you even buy it, even the MBP. Obviously, there's no way around this.

Practically, though, I wouldn't worry. How long was it before companies stopped making non-PowerPC apps in the 90's? At least 3 to 5 years after the first PPC Macs arrived. The Intel transition era will be very similar to that era. Programs will be Universal for quite some time before they go Intel only. Enjoy your Powerbook and don't worry about it.

Steve

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2006, 03:39 PM

I really wouldn't worry. Look at the software you're currently using. Even if everyone stopped supporting PPC software a year from now, you'd still have all your current apps which work really well in your machine, right? Your powerbook will only become obsolete when you let it become obsolete. I still have an ancient 600mhz Pentium II desktop running Windows 98SE which I use for a lot of things. I wouldn't call it obsolete. Your machine is a great machine, yes there will be something newer and faster coming along, that's the nature of the game, doesn't make your machine any less sexy a machine that it was when you first got it.

OK, that's the pep talk out of the way, now as far as support for PPC Macs is concerned, if the (far more significant) transition from OS9 to OSX is a guide, you will have a good three or four years of ongoing support for PPC apps which will easily take you through to the point where you'll be considering an upgrade in any case.

Of course, you could get "lucky" like me and have your powerbook fail on you well before it shows any signs of "obsolescence"...

edit - OK, everyone else can type faster than me...

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2006, 03:52 PM

It'll become useless once it no longer does what you need it to do.

Wrt new programmes - they are going to be universal binaries for a long time yet. The user base is not going to be predominantly Intel for at least another 5 years. The only things that are likely to become Intel only in three to five years time are the high end games (and even today's Intels will be struggling with those), but that is par-for-the-course.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 05:39 PM

It depends on what is "useless" to you. There are people who are still using 6 (5?) year old Pismos without complaint about its speed or anything.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 06:39 PM

Also, there is a good chance that things won't go "intel only" at all--so long as everything compiles as a Universal Binary, and stays that way, it keeps open the option for Apple to switch BACK to PowerPC.

Sound unlikely? Today, it is...but in 5 or 10 years a lot can change in the tech landscape. So I suspect Apple will do its best to stick to Universal Binaries a lot longer than the transition from 68K to PowerPC stuck to "fat" binaries. There will be some apps that only run on intel, but nothing you need to worry about for a good long time.

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
It'll become useless once it no longer does what you need it to do.
Well said!

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 10:54 PM

I believe the problem is the oposite. Is the MBP useful enough to be on the market? The pretty new PBs are likely to be the best tool for most usage at present time, considered all the apps not ported to x86 for OS X. (Yes, with Linux there is another story). I am going to use a Dell for a while now, before I again return to MBP in a few generations (1 or 2). (Take it easy, I do have the PB around, the Dell i will get from the job).
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

Dr.Michael
Mar 7, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by epsionbass
Hey guys,

i know this is probably a question that nobody's worrying about, especially since people are still using computers way older than mine, but i have a 1.67 17 powerbook, and i am wondering when its gonna be useless. With the MBP's coming out and things switching to universal (which is probably answering my question), but the new programs coming out will they still work with mine?

I guess i am getting paranoid like all the other PB people... I like many got a pb for xmas.
Your powerbook is already 2 months old? Then hurry - or you will become gray haired, dated, old fashioned ....

Your fears are right. I have never heard that such an old machine will be supported any longer , .

This is so stupid. But honestly: Many rev a machines have annoying flaws. The MacBook will be no exception. I guess you have done the best that can be done: buy one of the last rev Powerbooks. These are the really solid machines. You may save some money in a couple of years because you cannot upgrade your software to the latest version once there will be only intel versions. But this will take a while.

A software company would be stupid to force its customers to buy new hardware. And they will lose money if they stop compiling universal binaries as long as there is a significant amount of ppcs in use. Professionals will not jump quickly to the new intel powered systems. If you depend on flawless systems you wait until new systems are fool proof.

So I assume universal binaries will be with us quite a long time.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Mar 7, 2006 at 07:38 AM. )

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2006, 07:40 AM

What is useless?

Universal Binaries will be around for a little while which means your laptop will continue to be able to upgrade. Even if you couldn't at the moment you still can run current versions.

I believe the lifespan of the PB is long enough that you won't need to worry about it. All the software that's out for the mac now runs on your PB so I'd not worry about it.

Mike

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 08:43 AM

I wouldn't worry about it - there are millions of PowerPC Macs out there, and software will be around for a while.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
I wouldn't worry about it - there are millions of PowerPC Macs out there, and software will be around for a while.

I have a friend who is still selling 10-15 G3 based systems per day and sees no end to trend!

Some people pay almost as much as a new system!

I even know people still running a Apple IIGS users group!

HazMacFan
Mar 7, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc
I have a friend who is still selling 10-15 G3 based systems per day and sees no end to trend!

Some people pay almost as much as a new system!

I even know people still running a Apple IIGS users group!
Checking ebay you will see a bunch of Pismos going between 250 to 700 each. Got a friend selling one because of that. G3 for this much still.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

cobra7869
Mar 7, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by epsionbass
Hey guys,

As with most things... it all depends what you are doing. I had a 1Ghz Titanium G4 PowerBook with 1GB of RAM and sold it to buy a 12" G4 Al PowerBook with 867MHz with 768MB RAM. I primarily use Mail, iChat, iPhoto, Safari/Firefox, and iTunes.

To this day (3 years later) I still use the 12" PB as my primary computer at home. In fact, I upgraded to Tiger and then recently had a hard drive crash (hardware related) and replaced it and actually just loaded 10.3.9 and do not plan on going any higher (Fan comes on less often with 10.3.9 than it did with 10.4.?).

Just my two cents. I think you are fine and that it won't be obsolete for a long time.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

Forum Links
Forum Rules