Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > HTML Editors: Recommendations?

HTML Editors: Recommendations?
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2006, 06:02 PM

I recently asked How long does it take to learn hand coding?. I included a list of editors there but I thought I should ask this in a separate thread since it differs from the original question. Also, I am aware of this recent thread on Free HTML Editors, but I want to include other editors in my question.

So far, I've been using TextEdit for the little coding/practive I've done. But I want to try out some other html editors (for the color coding, if nothing else). Here's the list of editors that I've compiled so far ...

TextWrangler (Free)

Taco (Free)

jEdit (Free)

Nvu (Free)

PageSpinner ($19.95)

SkEdit ($24.95)

SubEthaEdit ($35)

TextMate (€39)

BBEdit ($199 or ~$50 academic)

I plan to start with one of more of the free editors. Should I start and stick with one or try out different ones as I learn? Are the free ones good enough or should I consider one of the payware options down the road?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 02:13 AM

Why bother spending to much time on it? I usually use Dreamweaver ($) for its templating abilities.

But when it mungs up the templating process and I need to straighten that out by hand I use Taco. Simple. Nothing not to like.

And I FTP with Cyberduck (free) when DW lacks there.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 10:53 AM

TextWrangler, hands down. I love that thing. It being free is worth all the more. I keep on intending to look at BBEdit, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Defiantely TextWrangler.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Exizl del Fuego
May 23, 2006, 08:03 PM

Poop. My post was just eaten. Anyway, I like a combination of TextMate, TextWrangler and TextEdit.

I always start off a site with TextMate. Its directory side-pane has proven itself time and again to be essential in the way that I organize my sites and its text-rendering is both beautiful and friendly. That might sound like fluff, but when it comes it building websites, you're marking up and styling content and prgramming behaviour with text and it can be all too easy to lose whatever imaginitive vision you had when you started by staring at lines of code. TextMate helps keep that vision alive.

I use TextWrangler for after the main push, when it's just the content that is changing. Its FTP connectivity is fantastic and it has a nice, trim, business-like interface. No dilly-dallying to be done there.

TextEdit is fantastic for word-processing. You may or may not be surprised at just how feature-rich that little app is. I also like to use it as a sort of paper napkin where I can sketch out my (psuedo)coding ideas.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with TextMate. It's worth every penny (and then some). But if you're not interested in handing out your cash, TextWrangler will still take very good care of you.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 08:12 AM

TextWrangler is the only program I use and I love it, although its Preferences menu could certainly use a makeover. Sometimes it's really hard to control text wrapping because multiple preferences influence how that works. But, an excellent freeward program to be sure.

ma342
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 06:44 PM

I can't work with these programs.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by real-estate
I can't work with these programs.
That's fine, of course. Perhaps you would be more comfortable with a word-processor or a visual web-page creation tool like Dreamweaver MX or Adobe GoLive.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 08:20 AM

Why spend so much money on an App like Dreamweaver or GoLive if you are a regular home user and just want to learn HTML, CSS and other such things? NVU or other LESS expensive apps like RapidWeaver. Version 3.5 is going to be out June second and the community around it is like macnn's, VERY Helpful in all your needs. Once you export you can then open the files in Taco or TextWrangler and learn how the page you created is coded.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by typoon
Why spend so much money on an App like Dreamweaver or GoLive if you are a regular home user and just want to learn HTML, CSS and other such things?
Although today I exclusively code by hand, it wasn't always so. I learned how to write code much in the way you describe, by using a visual tool (Dreamweaver in my case) and then examining the source code. One problem with this approach is that Dreamweaver files are usually a bloated mess, with lots of unnecessary code, pointless JavaScript, and questionable standards compliance. If you use DW to teach you how to code in HTML, you won't be a very good coder.

Pick a book on Amazon with both "XHTML" and "CSS" in the title and you'll be well on your way. Peruse websites and books by Jeffrey Zeldman, Molly Holzschlag, and Eric Meyer (those three people are simply brilliant and they write well, too), and the Web Standards Project and you will have a long and enjoyable career writing efficient, valid code that makes the web a better place.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 10:20 PM

Question: Which of the editors listed above can also be used as CSS editors? Are there other CSS editors that you'd recommend?

And thanks, all, for the comments posted so far. I've been using TextWrangler and that seems to be working pretty well. I also downloaded Taco but haven't tried it yet.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by TribeLeader
Question: Which of the editors listed above can also be used as CSS editors? Are there other CSS editors that you'd recommend?
With TextWrangler, you may not need a separate CSS editor, because TW syntax-colors your CSS, too. I know right away if I've mistyped the name of a selector, which is very handy.

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 04:09 PM

If you want to learn/code CSS, CSSEdit is pretty damn great. Well worth the $25 IMO.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2006, 04:39 PM

Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance (I'm learning!) but can you save in .css format in TextWrangler?

And, yes, I should have said that I do want to learn to code CSS. I'm looking at CSSEdit, SubEthaEdit, TextMate, skEdit, and BBEdit.

Thanks for the mention of CSSEdit.

silkk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 05:49 PM

I create EVERYTHING with Taco HTML and CSSEdit... EVERYTHING!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2006, 08:24 PM

Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance (I'm learning!) but can you save in .css format in TextWrangler?
There is no ".css format." CSS is text, just like everything else.

I use SubEthaEdit. I almost ditched it when they removed the free license, but after trying a number of free alternatives (TextWrangler - lots of trouble/inconsistency with line endings; Smultron - hate the single-window style, poor command line tool; I forget what else) I went back to SEE and got the student license.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 02:06 PM

I use TextWrangler exclusively for my PHP/Javascript work, and have yet to encounter a problem with it. I probably don't use 90% of its features, but the ones I do use, like indenting a whole selection and integrated FTP make it worth the download. The only annoyance I have is getting the line numbers to stick when you enable them in "text options" panel.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
There is no ".css format." CSS is text, just like everything else. [...]
Ah, thanks.

Since asking the question, I have started learning CSS (reading tutorials). That helps!

I am thinking of trying TextMate (free trial) to compare it with TextWrangler. I'll report back later when I've had a chance to play around with both.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 07:37 PM

Did anyone mention Smultron (free) and Amaya (free)?

Forum Links
Forum Rules