Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Yahoo Messenger Webcam

Yahoo Messenger Webcam
quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2002, 10:08 AM

I still haven't gotten Webcams to work with YM 2.5. Does anyone know what ports Yahoo uses for this? I think the problem is with a firewall.

System: powerbook pismo/10.2.1/connecting via netgear router and at home by direct connection.

With the OSX firewall off, I get some tantalizing starts. When I connect a sony dv video camera, I get a momentary picture and then it goes off. When I access a friend's webcam, I get "Unable to connect due to an unknown error". With the OSX firewall on, the webcam option simply doesn't work at all

Does anyone have this working?

Ambrosa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2002, 01:08 AM

This is the same problem that I am having. Anybody ever get this working?

I tested it without my router, and it still doesn't work. I can't imagine there being another firewall (I have mine off on OS X).

msykes
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Ambrosa:
This is the same problem that I am having. Anybody ever get this working?

I tested it without my router, and it still doesn't work. I can't imagine there being another firewall (I have mine off on OS X).
Wish I could help. Mine has worked for me, behind a Linksys wireless router though, just for another data point.

Aren't missing all that much... the quality is quite lousy :-)

Ambrosa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2002, 01:20 PM

Are you running the latest version of Messenger (2.5b, I believe)? Are you using a Firewire camera? DV? Also, What OS version? I'm running 10.2.2 and have tried it with 10.2.1. Both failed. The quality is probably quite lousy but I'm still hoping to get it working. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules