Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Pismo Expansion Bay CDRW

Pismo Expansion Bay CDRW
quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2002, 09:56 PM

I understand there is an expansion bay CD burner unit for the Pismo. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm planning to get a CD burner...any recommendations welcome. Macworld is recommending the LaCie.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2002, 08:02 AM

I have the VST internal burner for my Wallstreet, which is I think just a bit thickier (duh) and slower (4x vs 8x) than the model for Lombard & Pismo.

It works great - burns fine in iTunes, the Finder, Toast, etc.

I love mine, but if you have a Pismo, why not get a Firewire burner? It'd be cheaper and faster. Sure, it wouldn't be built-in, but at least you'd get to keep when you eventually upgrade to a new Mac.

Depends what you want it for, I guess. I originally got mine to back up important data while on the road, but since then Firewire drives have gotten so cheap and massive that they're the better choice for backup. And for burning music, it works well, but having an external model would still be a good idea (since you could do disk-to-disk copies).

quietjim  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2002, 03:49 PM

Thanks...I think that's what I'll do, MacWorld is recommending the Firewire LaCie, I think I'll pick up one of those. Appreciate your advice.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2002, 08:39 AM

If you don't need to burn while on the go, get a FW burner. For the money, you can get a much faster burner and use it with other machines. And when the burner dies, you can put a new burner in the FW case!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules