Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Word 2004 freezes under Tiger

Word 2004 freezes under Tiger
quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2005, 06:48 PM

Since installing Tiger I've noticed that Word 2004 seems to freeze a lot: two or three times a day. The usual progression is double clicking on a document or attempting to open an old documnet. The beach ball spins, keeps spinning, in the dock menu there is a notice "Application Not Responding" Recovery is via Force Quit. System is a 15" Al Powerbook, 1 Gig RAM, 80 Gig HD, net access via airport extreme to airport express to Netgear router.

I rarely use Excel, almost never Power Point or Entourage so I don't know if this affects other Office applications.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 2, 2005, 10:37 PM

Yes, I have experienced such freezes as well - but only in Word. I do use Excel and haven't seen them there. And the great thing about it is that there is discussion about features coming in the next version of Office:Mac - on the MacNN front page - but there seems to have been nothing from MS regarding the problems with the current version ... priorities !

rpark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 01:48 PM

Ditto, I have the same problem.

Does anyone know if a reinstall fixes this problem? My CD is back at home and I don't want to drive 3 hours to go get it.

gregpins
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2005, 06:31 PM

Ditto. Word and sometimes Entourage as well.

Office is in need of a maintenance update. I know they intend an update to improve Exchange interoperability, and that's great, but in the meantime a Service Pack to address basic things would be very helpful.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2005, 12:44 PM

Yeah, I have consistent problems with Word getting the spinning beachball. I have a feeling its related to EndNote - those two together are not so good, but the functionality of the two is unmatched-

Not sure what to do, I am saving every few words.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 07:09 PM

Well I'm not running EndNote with it, and I'm not usually a big 'saver' - I even have the autosave stuff turned off (along with most of Word's "features") - but I'm having to turn to saving as often as possible as well ... it's just not right. Maybe they're concentrating on getting the next version to run happily on intel processors now .

grayc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 10:06 PM

same here word is the only one i can't even get it to start now...pp works fine

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 09:54 PM

Oh well, progress I guess. At http://www.microsoft.com/mac they now have a thing saying Office 2004 works seamlessly with Tiger ... an interesting viewpoint.

Forum Links
Forum Rules