Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP Printer Drivers will not install

HP Printer Drivers will not install
quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2009, 07:34 PM

After updating to Snow Leopard and then 10.6.1, I downloaded the new HP Printer Drivers; I get a message that says the "Volume does not meet the requirements" for these drivers. Using a Macbook Pro 15" with the original drive in it; 43.35 GB free. Any idea what the problem could be?
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2009, 02:59 PM

Unfortunately I also upgraded to x.6.1, i have a macbook pro 2.4ghz and a HP4250 that connected over ethernet (jetdirect) by appletalk, which was really convenient.

I have no idea how to set up this printer over TCP/IP. Could someone please show me how to set up a printer over tcp/ip?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2009, 03:15 PM

ok, i fixed it. suddenly the printermenu found the hp4250 by bonjour

NOT !

this morning I could print without issues. suddenly osx doesn't see the printer anymore. I hope this issue is not permanent
( Last edited by PB2K; Oct 4, 2009 at 08:09 AM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

quietjim  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2009, 02:36 PM

After the 10.6.1 update, the drivers did install. That did not fix the problem. I finally figured out that for reasons which are beyond me, the HP 4200 was insisting on living at 192.0.0.192, an IP beyond the range of the Netgear router. Despite enabling DHCP, this is the IP that kept coming up. Therefore, nothing would talk to the printer.

I checked the router, and everything else was in the range of 192.0.0.1-6. There were several unassigned addresses, I picked 192.0.0.4 because the printer was plugged into port 4 on the back of the router.

I went to CONFIGURE EIO 2 on the printer and looked for something to manually set the IP address. I put this IP address in and things are good so far. It's not clear to me whether turning the machine off would require resetting the number. It's also not clear why the machine keeps reverting to BOOTP instead of DHCP and getting an IP number automatically.

However... the printer now prints.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules