Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Capsule - How do i connect it?

Time Capsule - How do i connect it?
AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2008, 07:26 PM

I just purchased a Timecapsule 1TB from Apple. I want to connect it to my computer so i can start backing up my data.

My computer is connected to the internet via ethernet.
And i don't want to/have been unsuccessful in connecting it to my computer via wireless.
( Last edited by AppleGirl1990; Mar 9, 2008 at 12:19 AM. )
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2008, 07:38 PM

No, take your computer "off the internet" (which means, off the router / cable modem) and connect the Ethernet cable to TC.

It'd strongly recommend to READ the TC instructions FIRST. It will tell you to do what I described above, and probably more.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2008, 10:41 PM

Cable/DSL modem goes into the WAN/internet ethernet port on the TC, Mac Pro goes in one of the other ethernet ports.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Cable/DSL modem goes into the WAN/internet ethernet port on the TC, Mac Pro goes in one of the other ethernet ports.
Works. I did not know how many WAN / LAN ports TC had. But thinking about it, one would be a bit limiting.

-t

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2008, 12:18 AM

i left out one minor bit of information. the cable modem is hooked into a linksys router and i cannot remove the linksys router. The router has 4 ports available on the back and the TC has only 3. I need all 4...so i have to use the linksys. Additionally the reason i was suggesting only hooking it up via ethernet was because I am unable to connect into the wireless network of the linksys router (i don't know why). I would love to use the linksys wireless network, but i can't seem to get TC to recognize it and setup properly. With that said, is the following my best option???

Hook the Cable modem into the Linksys Router, then Router into the TC. TC into the Computer (all via ethernet) ???

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2008, 01:12 AM

you must use the TC in bridge mode i think.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 9, 2008, 02:23 AM

I would try that modem-Linksys-TC-Mac chain via Ethernet as you described, making sure that the TC DHCP server is assigning IP addresses not being assigned by the Linksys; i.e. set the Linksys address set to 192.168.1.x and the TC DHCP server to 192.168.2.x. Just as the Linksys gets IP address settings from the modem, the TC will get them from the Linksys.

I wuld also suggest that, unless the Linksys supports Gigabit speeds, move the computers with Gigabit Ethernet to the TC.

I would also try to figure out why you can't connect the TC wirelessly to your Linksys. I'm doing exactly that now--the TC is configured as a wireless client on my 802.11g network. I'll upgrade when I decide to replace my WRT54g with something supporting 802.11n

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2008, 11:20 AM

ok, got it to work.

since i was still unable to connect into the existing wireless network, i hooked up via ethernet
router - time capsule - computer (bridge mode on)

Oddly enough, time machine wouldn't recognize the time capsule because there was an apostophe in the name (happens to be the default name from apple). Once i took out the apostophe, all worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help.
ps. after taking out the apostophe i never tried the wireless again. i wonder if that was preventing me from connecting into my wireless network. hmmmm

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Oddly enough, time machine wouldn't recognize the time capsule because there was an apostophe in the name (happens to be the default name from apple). Once i took out the apostophe, all worked perfectly.
That's truly odd. If that was the problem, Apple screwed something up big time.

-t

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 08:01 PM

This morning my Netgear 8-port Gig switch died. BTW, I found out today, that Netgear is junk.

Anyhow, I ran down to Fry's and bough a Linksys switch, and while I was there I thought I'd get a Time Capsule.

First I switched out the Switch and everything worked great. Next I decide to switch out my D-Link wireless router with the Time Capsule.

I couldn't get it to work. What ever happened to plug and play? The D-link had a web page that allowed me to access the router and set it up. I have no idea how to set this crazy thing up, and the first thing it asks for is a password for the hard drive.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
... I have no idea how to set this crazy thing up, and the first thing it asks for is a password for the hard drive.
Use Airport Utility.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 12:38 AM

I don't want to use the wireless part. I want to set it up for wired. Well I do have 2 devices that will be wireless, my PowerBook and my iPhone.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 01:50 AM

Okay, I had to use the newer updated Airport utility. I got the Ethernet Network to work, but when I tried to set it up for wireless also, the darn thing crapped out. It said it was going to restart, but it never did. I don't know if I created the wrong password or what.

I tried to use WPA/WPA2. with a huge long long password. There were no instructions as far as length.

Anyhow, I eventually had to use a little pin to reset the thing. I'll try setting up wireless later. This is getting to be a pain.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 02:09 AM

I had to update the Airport Utility, The new utility worked okay. Much better than the old one.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 02:06 AM

New problem. How do I get my ethernet printer to work?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 06:07 PM

Plug it in to ethernet?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 01:04 AM

It is.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2008, 02:51 AM

I finally got it fixed for my Macs, but I can't get my XP to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules