Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Palm Pre v iPhone: Why iPhone is in trouble!

Palm Pre v iPhone: Why iPhone is in trouble! (Page 3)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2009, 10:57 AM

Doesn't surprise me at all.

I owned and used several Palm Pilots and three different types of Palm Treos. While these devices were very good at some things (especially considering what was available at that time) the hardware became more and more flimsy with time. For me it peaked with my last Treo 680. Although the device wasn't especially light it was way too fragile for a phone or PDA. Cheap plastic. Case cracks, dust creeping in under the display, etc. Yuk.

Now with the iPhone I think we have an excellent benchmark for a sturdy and well built smartphone. It demonstrates nicely that great looking hardware can be very solid too. I can't remember when I last had a phone that held up so well against daily wear and tear. Something like this maybe...

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2009, 02:47 AM

The Palm Pre does not have any released official SDK and the upcoming SDK will not be a native SDK. It will use interpreted Javascript which means that you can expect to see no OpenGL games and it is also currently impossible to benchmark the CPU and OpenGL performance of the Pre.

I don't see the Pre as being a threat to the iPhone 3G let alone the 3GS.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
We need a "I want an iPhone with keyboard" Lounge.

-t
I thought the iPhone had a keyboard? If it didn't, I would not be able to type and text on it.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I thought the iPhone had a keyboard? If it didn't, I would not be able to type and text on it.
maybe they mean. a big ass keyboard like on those macs

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2009, 03:25 PM

Actually, I meant tone of these, and the keys gotta be weighted

-t

moep
Senior User
Jul 4, 2009, 07:52 PM

Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat

Someone needs to make a Palm Pre version of this, really.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 03:07 PM

LOL

-t

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Actually, I meant tone of these, and the keys gotta be weighted

-t
Would that fit in your pocket?

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 04:38 PM

People seem to forget, but Apple made quite a point when the iPhone 1st Gen made its debut. They pointed out all the reasons why teeny little smartphone keyboards were not the way to go. hardware keyboards on smartphones are "old technology" to Apple. It's moving parts, it limits input to view in one direction only, harder to input in the other direction, if your hardware keyboard is fixed only landscape mode or in portrait mode. The above point is true, too about languages. The iPhone is global, thanks for the ability to change the keyboard layout to anything else in an instant.
Most hardware keyboards for smartphones can't just change its layout on top of it. Hardware keyboards may also make these phones thicker by nature.

Apple knows they are losing money to the companies that make smartphones with hardware keyboards, but the loss is within their expectations of how many iPhones they have sold with a soft keyboard. It's within acceptable losses, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
People seem to forget, but Apple made quite a point when the iPhone 1st Gen made its debut. They pointed out all the reasons why teeny little smartphone keyboards were not the way to go. hardware keyboards on smartphones are "old technology" to Apple. It's moving parts, it limits input to view in one direction only, harder to input in the other direction, if your hardware keyboard is fixed only landscape mode or in portrait mode. The above point is true, too about languages. The iPhone is global, thanks for the ability to change the keyboard layout to anything else in an instant.
Most hardware keyboards for smartphones can't just change its layout on top of it. Hardware keyboards may also make these phones thicker by nature.

Apple knows they are losing money to the companies that make smartphones with hardware keyboards, but the loss is within their expectations of how many iPhones they have sold with a soft keyboard. It's within acceptable losses, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
Excellent point. My youngest child has the new Samsung Alias 2 with the changing key layout. I find it to be very quirky, and quit honestly it frequent;y does not change the key overlay for several seconds depending on flip or text mode. I also find the enamel like appearance of the keys difficult to focus on. Perhaps this is required for the overlay changes?

I have a family of 5. 4 on Verizon because they can't live without the tactile sensation of keys. It's not like they even look at them when typing. Make no mistake we are devoted OSX Evangelists. My teenagers all complain they can't text on an iPhone without looking at the keys, as opposed to the display.

Could be the same for many? No issue for me. I average 20 text per month. Usually consisting of "Relax, I'll be there in a few minutes".
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

bokehphotographer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Excellent point. My youngest child has the new Samsung Alias 2 with the changing key layout. I find it to be very quirky, and quit honestly it frequent;y does not change the key overlay for several seconds depending on flip or text mode. I also find the enamel like appearance of the keys difficult to focus on. Perhaps this is required for the overlay changes?

I have a family of 5. 4 on Verizon because they can't live without the tactile sensation of keys. It's not like they even look at them when typing. Make no mistake we are devoted OSX Evangelists. My teenagers all complain they can't text on an iPhone without looking at the keys, as opposed to the display.

Could be the same for many? No issue for me. I average 20 text per month. Usually consisting of "Relax, I'll be there in a few minutes".
Oddly enough, I don't look at the iPhone keyboard when I text now. It has become second nature, just like when I began typing on a keyboard. At first I looked, after a while got comfortable and stopped looking. As your muscle memory builds for the keystrokes, it becomes much easier. It just takes time, and the auto-correct works really well. Especially now that they changed the "w/" from constantly changing to "a/" - that annoyed the heck out of me! But since the 3.0 update, all is well!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2009, 06:30 AM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2009, 12:11 PM

Priceless!

So can it be said that the iPhone is not in trouble because of the Pre? I think its been long enough to make that call. I see no mass defections taking place, nor do I see the press calling the Pre the iPhone killer anymore.

Hooray for on-screen keyboards!

Forum Links
Forum Rules