Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Your opinions on a website, please.

Your opinions on a website, please.
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 08:24 PM

I just finished making my girlfriend's portfolio site and would appreciate any feedback/criticism anyone might have. It be at www.gnahoo.com.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2006, 08:29 PM

Slower than dog poop, poor use of space.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Slower than dog poop, poor use of space.
Why with the slower? My server, your connection or too huge graphics?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2006, 08:35 PM

Slow? I’m on dial-up and it’s very fast for me!

piot
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 10:26 PM

Don't worry... it's not slow!

However, sorry you probably spent a lot of time putting it together, but I do have a couple of problems with it.

PROJECTS PAGE. Fine pick a project, flick through it, but how can I select another project without re-clicking the "projects" tab (which has changed colour now, and looks like it isn't a link anymore(even though it is!)) ?

PROJECTS NAV. "next page" What about "previous page"? More importantly, these links can end up very low on the page (depending on the content) and require scrolling to find them. Remember other users may be viewing on a low res screen...and have you seen how much real estate is taken up by IE for Windows when all the Google toolbars, favourites etc have been added!

I prefer to keep navigation in the same place on the page. In fact for portfolio sites, I try to build them without the needd for any scrolling.
Piot

piot
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 10:39 PM

PS. I would grab kittylam.co.uk ASAP.
She has a great name.....make the most of it!
Piot

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by piot
Don't worry... it's not slow!
Yeah, that comment by mduell did confuse me a little, seeing as the site graphics (excluding the portfolio content itself) total less than 4KB. Oh well.

However, sorry you probably spent a lot of time putting it together, but I do have a couple of problems with it.
Some late nights were involved but only because there was a certain date it needed to be finshed by for a job interview. Now that it's up I go back and make tweaks, so all comments are appreciated.

PROJECTS PAGE. Fine pick a project, flick through it, but how can I select another project without re-clicking the "projects" tab (which has changed colour now, and looks like it isn't a link anymore(even though it is!)) ?
At the end of each project section, the "next page" link changes into an "other projects" link, which takes you back to /projects, same as the Projects tab at the top.

Also, whilst you are in the projects section, the Projects tab stays "selected"; no red line cutting it off from the rest of the page, red text instead of grey, the only thing that differentiates it from a "normal" link is that it is not underlined.

Do you mean if you are in the Observations section and you then want to go to see some Projects, it is not clear that clicking the tab will take you there? It would be better to have unselected tabs text be red, like normal links, instead of grey?

PROJECTS NAV. "next page" What about "previous page"? More importantly, these links can end up very low on the page (depending on the content) and require scrolling to find them. Remember other users may be viewing on a low res screen...and have you seen how much real estate is taken up by IE for Windows when all the Google toolbars, favourites etc have been added!
Early on in the design there were "last page" as well as "next page" links for the project pages, similar to how the Observation pages work. However, I decided that for the Projects section, users would rather use their browser's Back button if they quickly wanted to read something they had missed, and so removed them.

The "next page" link is nearly always in the same place in relation to the main body of text on a page; two line breaks down, aligned to the right of the content area. Ironically, if you have a low resolution screen it is actually faster to use; just leave your mouse in the same position, press End on your keyboard and the link is under your cursor, ready to be clicked.

I designed this site to at least not require horizontal scrolling on a screen down to 800 pixels wide, though that's obviously assuming you've got your browser window maximised as much as possible. I did test in in IE on Windows at 800x600, but not with all those extra toolbars, just the standard ones...

I prefer to keep navigation in the same place on the page. In fact for portfolio sites, I try to build them without the needd for any scrolling.
As the chunks of text are usually quite short, most of the pages don't require scrolling, either vertical or horizontal... But that's for me, with a 1152x864 display...

I also wanted to put the "next page" link always in the same place, so as you could look through the pages really fast (had to do a bunch of that whilst making the thing...). However, the only way I can see to do that is to have the "next page" link at the top of the page, rather than the bottom, which seems the wrong way round. How would you make it be always in the same place?

threestain
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 07:43 AM

its a very nice site I must say... looks good to me!

piot
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2006, 11:42 AM

Megasad, I realize that your navigation does work. I just think it's not ideal. Here is an example of what I mean.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/ then select "ipod". After taking a quick look at the ipod page, I can simple select the "shuffle" link. I don't have to press the main "iPod+iTunes" tab to get there. Plus, even though you have to scroll down to read all of the content, the main navigation (and the sub nav) is always at the top of the page.
Piot

Forum Links
Forum Rules