Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Flash problem or Server?

Flash problem or Server?
piot
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2006, 10:02 AM

Flash portfolio site here: http://www.richardpullar.com

Ever since uploading this site to it's own server, my client has experienced an intermittent problem. The problem is that a delay is experienced ( a second or two) before an image.swf file (or even it's preloader graphic) displays. The worst case can be that you can press the forward or back button a couple of times.....nothing happens.....and then the image.swfs will load in quick succession!

I cannot seem to replicate the myself, but I am assured that this has happened on a number of different systems, Mac/PC.

The code is fairly basic. Either clicking on a thumbnail or clicking the arrows alters the counter movie clip, and a frame action loads the correct external swf.

Even though the development site (here: http://www.theviewingroom.co.uk/pullar/ ) is identical, the problem seems to be absent.

Anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on?

NOTE: If you look at the sites DON'T view the PORTRAITS section. I have tried some different code there.

Thanks for your help.
Piot

iomatic
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 02:16 PM

I see a problem; I don't know if it's the same issue: In Safari 2.0.3, the thumbs load fine, but clicking on an image shows multiple progress bars, and then an image. Activity shows 'plug-in cancelled' (Window --> Activity). 'Advertising' doesn't work for me sometimes (no progress bar). The only thing that would explain this is either a variable is getting rewritten (a global) and overriding the loader code, or it's also tweaking paths to .swfs. My guess, without knowing much about your file, and not knowing a lot of AS. Looking at your development site, my guess is it could be a path (code) or permissions (server) issue perhaps? I know that it's been painful to address paths sometimes with Flash (e.g., a SWF lives in a folder, that's embedded two levels up, that addresses a SWF two levels down, etc.)

HTH

piot  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2006, 08:38 PM

Thanks for your imput iomatic.

Can you tell me which site caused the problem? richardpullar.com or theviewingroom.co.uk?

Actually there are no variables involved (told you it was basic!), so it can't be that. If server permissions were wrong then it would never work. It's just so bloody odd.... that for most people it works MOST of the time.

Anyone else?
Piot

Forum Links
Forum Rules