Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > portfolio site

portfolio site
blue6983
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 08:49 AM

Hi Everyone, I am putting the finishing touches on my online portfolio. Anway i wanted to get some criticism, feedback, whatever comments on it. Let me know whats good, what should i improve upon. Thanks

blue6983  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 08:49 AM

forgot the link www.ashortdesign.com

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2006, 12:36 PM

very well done! a few nitpicks:

it really bothers me to see the gn from design dropped down there--not readable. As the animation played, I kept expecting it to move up where it belonged and it never did.

there are some here who would berate you for designing layout entirely in flash.

portfolio links: I expected thumbnails to open in a new bigger window where I could see details more. For the size of your layout, the images are very small and you can't really get a good sense of the design, good bad or otherwise. Label student work vs client work.

like the circles top right, not sure they match the grungy photocopy look you have going elsewhere though. Also the small caps as body copy is hard to read.

chirpy22
Mar 14, 2006, 02:04 PM

I agree about the gn. Maybe have it bump up next to desi. I didn't really care for the target circles. However, I saw some swirly type things in the skeleton head wallpaper graphic that I think would work well instead.

For an artist portfolio site, designing in Flash is a good thing because it keeps people from downloading and stealing jpegs or linnking to them for their own online purposes (bandwidth stealing). I had this happen to me plenty of times and decided to plop everything into Flash so that can't happen again.

I would say, though, that you should either have it scale with the browser window or design for a smaller target size - 780x580 max. Because if someone has a smaller monitor things will get cut off.

chirpy22
Mar 14, 2006, 02:05 PM

I agree about the gn. Maybe have it bump up next to desi. I didn't really care for the target circles. However, I saw some swirly type things in the skeleton head wallpaper graphic that I think would work well instead.

For an artist portfolio site, designing in Flash is a good thing because it keeps people from downloading and stealing jpegs or linnking to them for their own online purposes (bandwidth stealing). I had this happen to me plenty of times and decided to plop everything into Flash so that can't happen again.

I would say, though, that you should either have it scale with the browser window or design for a smaller target size - 780x580 max. Because if someone has a smaller monitor things will get cut off.

blue6983  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 02:40 PM

Thanks a lot guys for your constructive criticism. I was really thinking hard about that gn problem. I thought to leave it alot but i will animat it so it will be bumped up. I was also told about the actualy portfolio site pieces being too small. I will try and work on making them bigger. The problem i was having with that was i didnt want to make the files too large that it would take forever to load. Once again thanks guys.

mr faisal
Baninated
Mar 14, 2006, 03:59 PM

ooooooooooooo

A very beautiful site

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 06:49 PM

I like the look I just wish the whole damn thing wasn't done in flash.

"Barwaraaawww"

piot
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 08:36 PM

It's too big! Yeh I know it's 1024 x 768 but what about the browser and apple menu bar and dock. Everseen your site on a 1024 screen running Windows and IE with all the Google toolbars and whatnot?

Yeh I know, everybody's got big screens now. They haven't! Or they may be running a lower resolution.... or they may see your site on a cute little iBook.

Big site. Small portfolio. Sorry but some of those letterheads and stuff....I just can't see what's goin on.

I like Flash. I use it all the time. But this is poor use of the medium. Why link to seperate HTML pages that run the same animation over and over? You could have done the whole thing within a Flash movie......kept it simple.... but made it more interesting.

/rant
Piot

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by piot
It's too big! Yeh I know it's 1024 x 768 but what about the browser and apple menu bar and dock. Everseen your site on a 1024 screen running Windows and IE with all the Google toolbars and whatnot?

Yeh I know, everybody's got big screens now. They haven't! Or they may be running a lower resolution.... or they may see your site on a cute little iBook.

Big site. Small portfolio. Sorry but some of those letterheads and stuff....I just can't see what's goin on.

I like Flash. I use it all the time. But this is poor use of the medium. Why link to seperate HTML pages that run the same animation over and over? You could have done the whole thing within a Flash movie......kept it simple.... but made it more interesting.

/rant

Nice stuff Andrew. I agree with piot tho... KISS. Let the samples be the star. Make'em bigger, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules