Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hardcore iMac Users - What's Next To Do?

Hardcore iMac Users - What's Next To Do?
Thread Tools
iSteve
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2006, 10:26 PM
 
Okay....

I'm actually starting to get disappointed with my Mac.. I need some fresh ideas on what to do with my iMac.

I have tried to create a podcast, with no luck. I printed their 98 page user manual and still can't figure it out..

I loaded up quicken 2006, and it won't work with my bank.

Tried viewing some wma songs, of course won't play.... same with window movies...

Can't figure out how to rip from CD's..

I've tried creating my web-site (which looks like a kid did it) and can't figure out how to do albums instead of single pages with fotos on them..

Today, I accomplished nothing with the iMac other then finding out what it can't do.

Now I need some fresh ideas on what I can get the iMac to do? So, any suggestions would be appreciated and probably used!

Thanks
     
ael719
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2006, 10:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by iSteve
Okay....

I'm actually starting to get disappointed with my Mac.. I need some fresh ideas on what to do with my iMac.

I have tried to create a podcast, with no luck. I printed their 98 page user manual and still can't figure it out..

I loaded up quicken 2006, and it won't work with my bank.

Tried viewing some wma songs, of course won't play.... same with window movies...

Can't figure out how to rip from CD's..

I've tried creating my web-site (which looks like a kid did it) and can't figure out how to do albums instead of single pages with fotos on them..

Today, I accomplished nothing with the iMac other then finding out what it can't do.

Now I need some fresh ideas on what I can get the iMac to do? So, any suggestions would be appreciated and probably used!

Thanks
Yeah, every now and then I still have don't know how to do stuff on OSX that I can do on Windows.

For .wmv, you can download the beta version of Flip4mac that is a universal binary. I'm guessing it works with .wma files also?

I haven't tried to rip a CD yet, so it'd be nice to know the answer to this.

As for webpages.... if this is your first time creating a website and you think it looks like crap, don't blame it on the Mac. Creating a website is hard work and creating a design for the site is almost impossible for someone unexperienced without using iWeb or a template site.

All I can suggest is to goto the Apple Retail store. I believe they offer some classes on how to use iLife apps, .Mac, and other stuff.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2006, 10:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by ael719
Yeah, every now and then I still have don't know how to do stuff on OSX that I can do on Windows.

For .wmv, you can download the beta version of Flip4mac that is a universal binary. I'm guessing it works with .wma files also?

I haven't tried to rip a CD yet, so it'd be nice to know the answer to this.

As for webpages.... if this is your first time creating a website and you think it looks like crap, don't blame it on the Mac. Creating a website is hard work and creating a design for the site is almost impossible for someone unexperienced without using iWeb or a template site.

All I can suggest is to goto the Apple Retail store. I believe they offer some classes on how to use iLife apps, .Mac, and other stuff.
Not my first time creating templated web-sites. I use to use FrontPage and it created professional web-sites..

I could only wish we had an apple store close by.. I'd be in there every day...
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2006, 11:36 PM
 
Just tried downloading an installing flip4mac.. but won't work intel based Macs.. (
     
ael719
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 29, 2006, 11:41 PM
 
there is a beta out, i downloaded it a couple days, but it was only a 24 hour link

try bit torrent sites that specifically say beta or universal binary

btw, i'd send u the .dmg file, but i deleted after i installed
( Last edited by ael719; Jun 29, 2006 at 11:49 PM. )
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro
     
ael719
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 12:01 AM
 
but yeah, i know how you feel... when you have nothing left to do with your Mac. I almost can't wait for school to start so I can start putting this thing to more use, lol

I want to start looking into desktop themes and stuff, but I some of the apps aren't UB yet. .Mac is only fun for about 5 minutes. If you have an iPod you can rip spend some time ripping DVD's with Handbrake.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro
     
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 01:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by iSteve
Okay....

I'm actually starting to get disappointed with my Mac.. I need some fresh ideas on what to do with my iMac.

I have tried to create a podcast, with no luck. I printed their 98 page user manual and still can't figure it out..

I loaded up quicken 2006, and it won't work with my bank.

Tried viewing some wma songs, of course won't play.... same with window movies...

Can't figure out how to rip from CD's..

I've tried creating my web-site (which looks like a kid did it) and can't figure out how to do albums instead of single pages with fotos on them..

Today, I accomplished nothing with the iMac other then finding out what it can't do.

Now I need some fresh ideas on what I can get the iMac to do? So, any suggestions would be appreciated and probably used!

Thanks
1) podcasting is as easy as pie in Garageband... just mess around with it - you won't break it, and you will son figure out how to use it.

3) WMA stuff can be played in VLC player - google it

4) ripping CDs - just use iTunes, it could not be easier- insert the CD, open up iTunes, locate the CD in the iTunes menu at the side, and drag the songs into the library. Its so intuitive its common sense. If you aren't talking about audio CDs, then go to disk utility, click on the disc in the right menu, and click make new image.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 02:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
1) podcasting is as easy as pie in Garageband... just mess around with it - you won't break it, and you will son figure out how to use it.

3) WMA stuff can be played in VLC player - google it

4) ripping CDs - just use iTunes, it could not be easier- insert the CD, open up iTunes, locate the CD in the iTunes menu at the side, and drag the songs into the library. Its so intuitive its common sense. If you aren't talking about audio CDs, then go to disk utility, click on the disc in the right menu, and click make new image.
Thanks for the reply.. I will google that now.. one of the things I can't understand about garageband is.. they say you have effects, like nature and or comic.. etc.. when I click on these.. I get nothing. I thought it would show up with different sound files. Like bird chirps, thunderstome.. etc.. etc. I see no options at all when I click on them.
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 03:16 AM
 
Downloaded, VLC player.. and .......

VLC Doesn't support playing WMV3 CODEC.
     
newtonuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 03:40 AM
 
iSteve, there's loads of things I can't do with my iMac. Here's two of them...

I'm a keen walker and use GPS mapping software like Memory Map and others.

Having moved to a Mac in the middle of last year I still have not found anything that is close to Memory Map or is even suitable for the UK.

Even the Garmin Motion Based is not fully Mac compatible yet, although I think it's close.

My brother in law would love to move to a Mac, but won't even consider it because of his use of this software.

I managed my cash flow in Microsoft Money for years, again on the Mac in the UK, nothing comes close!
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 04:11 AM
 
Well in my opinion.. Apple better get on the stick or the death of Apple my come soon. I really hate to say that because I love Apple, but to pay 2800.00 ++ for a system that can't run anything close to what Windows can run is pathetic. I spent 24 hours today trying to get things working right and nothing worked. Very discouraged. I personally don't see how Apple can stay in business, (I guess that's what iPod is doing for them) and they are opening up all these stores ( I can remember Apple stores back in the 80's and they closed them ).

Oh well, I guess on my two days off in a row, I can sit down here and figure something out. <keeps fingers crossed>
     
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: http://www.rotharmy.com
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 04:15 AM
 
you CAN run windows , troll
     
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brantford, ON. Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 04:56 AM
 
Oh come on. I just bought my iMac and recieved it 2 days ago. It's my first mac, and there is just about nothing I can't do with it. Just because you don't know how doesn't mean it's apples fault.

Maybe you should have researched your purchase before jumping in.

And, as the guy above states, you can install bootcamp and run windows on your iMac too. You can even use parallels.
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 05:23 AM
 
LOL.. and you can run windows... if I wanted a windows system, don't you think I would have bought a windows system! Not only that.. it does not run windows with 100% compatibility! Doh!

And it is Apples' fault! Where is the software???? Why aren't companies supporting Mac and producing software? Not one local store here carries any games, software, hardware for the Mac?? How can a company survive if their products aren't in stores?

So.. tell me, kmk.. what have you done with your Mac??

And, eddie, how about climbing back down under your bridge!
     
pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 05:43 AM
 
All the software that's needed comes with the iMac. (And DONT say where's MS Office, coz no PC comes with it, you HAVE to purchase it) If you have a decent music and photograph collection, you can spend hours on end with both iTunes and iPhoto setting up everything. (Tagging your photographs, the sweeeeet slide-shows, full-screen editing) If I remember correctly, you're the dude who bought the kick-ass Logitech Speakers and a printer and .Mac and what not.

I see that you haven't figured out Garageband yet. BTW, those tracks you were trying to play, you have to drag them to the centre to add to the sound track to listen to it. Double-kicking is not gonna help, its a Mac not an XP PC. Things will be slightly different. What software are you missing? And what hardware does the store not have? (How much hardware can you possibly attach to an iMac anyway?!) You already have a TV Tuner Card too if I'm not mistaken.

If you're having a hard time, go through the Mac 101 and Switch 101 tutorials on the Apple site. They should get you going.

Oh and come on. All along while you ordered your iMac you knew exactly how much software was there for a Mac and what came with your computer. There have been endless discussions on the forums about software to replace what you use in Windows for the Mac. It's not like you turned of your computer and it displayed a huge message saying "I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE SOFTWARE TO OFFER YOU" Look around and you'll find suitable software for the Mac for just about every task. Oh and Macs are NOT gaming machines, I thought just about EVERYONE knew that. Get over it.
( Last edited by pheonixash; Jun 30, 2006 at 05:52 AM. )
     
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: http://www.rotharmy.com
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 05:50 AM
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

"In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion."
     
badnewsblair
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond! VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2006, 09:37 AM
 
Okay.

Jeez. Before this thread explodes and name calling ensues. iSteve I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't trolling. First and foremost, the best way to learn about the Mac is to use it with an open mind. Someone said this earlier, but get into the programs and use them. You won't break anything (one difference from Windows). Now, a great place to start learning is the Preference panels of all the various programs.

If you are in Safari, click on "Safari" up in the Menu Bar in the top left. Find "Preferences" and look through the different options that are available. Knowing what options the program has helps you to make it your own and feel more comfortable with your machine. You can also look at the System Preferences which is the Mac equivalent to Windows Control Panel.

Where do you live? Is there an Apple Store near you? They all offer "Getting Started" classes usually on Saturday morning. These classes are amazing and will get you going from 0 to 60 on your Mac in just an hour.

Now the specifics.
Unfortunately I don't know much about Podcast creation. Garageband is obviously the place to start. Can you currently record into your iMac? I find that most people don't realize there is an internal Mic built into the machine. Of course this won't give you the best sound quality for your Podcast, but it is free and ready to go. Garageband is built off of other audio recording software. If you know how to use one, you know how to use them all. To the best of my knowledge it's all drag and dropping of tracks and loops. Either the "i" or the actual eye icon down on the bottom of the program brings up your loops and effects. Sorry I'm not that useful in this section.

You don't need to use Quicken with your bank online. I find the best way to do it for your records is to use your bank as your comparison. Work in Quicken as you would you Check Register. Balance that, then compare it to what your bank says you have online. If Quicken doesn't work with you bank on the Mac, then it doesn't work on Windows either as the Networking options are the same across the two OS's.

Are you trying to view WMV movies or listen to WMA songs? You confuse me here. You can download the Windows media player and install it just as you would any other program. It will let you not only watch your WMV movies, but listen to WMA songs. There should be no issue with this. It's pretty straight forward. VLC is great too. With any programs you wish to install on you Mac, the best resource is VersionTracker.com. Know it. Use it.

Importing CDs was covered easily but a quick run down. Insert your store bought CD and wait a second. Your Mac will ask you what you want to do with it. You can just goto the Finder (do nothing) or open iTunes. Select open iTunes. It will open up to show you the CD and the tracks on it. If you are online it will go out and find the names of the tracks for you. In the top right of the program you will see a circular button that says import. Click it and iTunes will do everything for you. You can change the settings at which you import in the Preferences panel that I spoke about earlier.

Creating a website is a little more complicated. iPhoto makes it pretty easy. The trick is to create Albums of pictures. Each album is considerred a page when you try to upload it to your .mac space. iWeb works great as well. It is all drag and drop.

I switched from Windows (which I used for 10+ years) to Mac about 4 years ago and I've never looked back. There is nothing that I couldn't do on my Mac that I could do on my Windows machine. Now with Boot Camp I can even place the games that I was missing out on, but that is not important really and I've used Boot Camp maybe twice since I installed it. It is neat but I am so much happier on the Mac side. I play World of Warcraft as all Blizzard games come on a hybrid Mac/PC disk. Just install it and go.

Hope this helps a little
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 12:13 AM
 
First let me say... Eddie.. I am NOT a troll! I'm trying to figure out how to use this Mac. I just got this Tuesday and Thursday was the first that I had a chance to see what it could / couldn't do. I was frustrated because everything I tried didn't work! I am nearly asking a simple question as to what hardcore mac users do with their Macs' so I can get a feel of this nice computer.

Badnewsblair.. I'm reading your response now. Now see.. thanks badnews for the great tip on the preferences tab, I will do that after I hit quicken 2006 I really need to get that working with or without my bank. I live in a very small town in Central PA.. there is no Apple store close by. I'd have to guess about 6 hours away for the nearest one.

I can record using the built in mic.. I tried putting a mic in the back for an external use.. but it did not work.. have any ideas why? I've tried both wma and wmv (windows movies and audio). I got VLC to play the audio's but it will not play the videos. VersionTracker.com? What exactly is that. I'll have to go see.

Actually badnews.. When I throw in an audio CD, it automatically loads iTunes. It doesn't ask me what I want to do.. And there is no circular button that says import.. Although there is a test link under iTunes that says it.. but when I do it.. I have to select 1 file at a time..

Yea.. iWeb is cool and simple.. but I'd rather have, albums since I'll have several sets of pictures, I want to group together and have the one link to the albums.. But that won't work in iWeb, only in iPhotos and if I remember correct or understand.. you have to have a mac?

So, is bootcamp worth it?? I may install it, but not sure if my windows disk is SP 2..... I hear world of warcraft rocks?? I may have to get it..

Thanks Bad.. for taking the time to explain some of this to me..
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 12:17 AM
 
Just went into iTunes.. the import is their as you said.. Must take a few mins to change or something.. Thanks..
     
pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 12:56 AM
 
Hi,

Even if you have only a Windows Xp Cd, U can order a SP2 cd through Microsoft (for free), and then slipstream them to create a SP2 CD.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 03:13 AM
 
Originally Posted by pheonixash
Hi,

Even if you have only a Windows Xp Cd, U can order a SP2 cd through Microsoft (for free), and then slipstream them to create a SP2 CD.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
wow.. cool..

I actually got some things done on the mac today and lovin' it.
     
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NORAD (England branch)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 06:25 AM
 
Why the hell did you buy a Mac without doing some research first? If it doesn't suit your needs then you shouldn't have bought it. And saying that Apple will go bust just because *you* can't work out how to use a Mac is retarded at best.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 06:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by WOPR
Why the hell did you buy a Mac without doing some research first? If it doesn't suit your needs then you shouldn't have bought it. And saying that Apple will go bust just because *you* can't work out how to use a Mac is retarded at best.
Hey, IDIOT! read my last few post, it's in ENGLISH, can you read and understand ENGLISH?
     
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NORAD (England branch)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 06:41 AM
 
Why did you PM me with this?

"read the full thread butthole.. Or can't you understand ENGLISH!

People like you are so stuck on themselves, it's pathetic! I want advice on what others are using the mac for stupid as$.

And it's a proven fact that Apple will NOT last in the business if they don't make changes and get more Mac's in the household, and more software out on the counter for their computers. Or don't you understand past the 1st grade level? If they are not selling enough computers how will they survive?? Pay bills, their employee's. etc.

God, you stupid idiot, get some common scense somewhere!

Now go back to the thread and READ my last few posts in it, and offer advice, and stop coming across as being some stupid idiotic, brainless twit!
__________________"

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb
     
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 07:13 AM
 
I really like dreamweaver for making web pages. I am not sure if there is something out there that is good, but a bit cheaper. iWeb is intended to be easy enough for anyone to use, and as a bit of a byproduct, it is not as powerful as something more expensive.


iTunes will rip from CDs, right? I really haven't tried it.

Windows Media Player for the Mac is available as a free download from CNet downloads. If that won't play WMAs and WMVs, nothing will.

I don't crap about wuicken. The last Quicken software that I used was either for Windows 3.1 or Windows 95, I can't remember. It sucked.
     
iREZ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Los Angeles of the East
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 03:04 PM
 
iSteve...your complaining about things but your complaints are baseless. you complain about not having anything to do with your mac, but instead of learning the programs (which would give you something to do with your mac, the very thing your saying you dont have) you'd rather complain about it not working and give up. how bout you take all the endeavors you want to accomplish step by step instead of trying to do everything at once. if you wanna make a podcast, sit there and make a podcast...dont quit on it because you dont understand it right away and try to do something different. as for iweb...ive seen many really nice pages made with iweb, all you need is some patience and a keen eye for design. just try n take things one at a time is all im saying.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)
     
stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2006, 04:25 PM
 
I agree with iREZ. Mac's are easy as pie to use, but for some they can be confusing. Take the time to figure out how to do what you'd like to do and I think you'll find that your Mac is more capable then you thought. So it doesn't run the odd Windows program, that's why Apple created Boot Camp (or you can get Parallels). It isn't Apple's fault the software companies are too narrow-minded to see the practicality in releasing Mac ports of their products.

In my honest opinion, it doesn't really sound like you researched Mac's before you made the switch. I tried to find out all I could before I ordered my first Mac and when that PPC Mini arrived, I knew how to use it no time. Apple is really good about that. Even on their website they have manuals, tutorials, tips, and hints. But if you're too stubborn to ask for directions then you'll never get where you need to go.
 Certified AppleCare Technician
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 12:07 AM
 
Where did I say I was giving up?? The last post to BAD who explalin a few things, I stressed, that I will have to look at the programs when I have a few days off in a row, to just hack away at them.. Please re-read!! This coming week will be one of them. where I can take the time.. I've already been messing with iTunes.. and doing some reading on Apple's site.
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 12:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by stefanicotine
I agree with iREZ. Mac's are easy as pie to use, but for some they can be confusing. Take the time to figure out how to do what you'd like to do and I think you'll find that your Mac is more capable then you thought. So it doesn't run the odd Windows program, that's why Apple created Boot Camp (or you can get Parallels). It isn't Apple's fault the software companies are too narrow-minded to see the practicality in releasing Mac ports of their products.

In my honest opinion, it doesn't really sound like you researched Mac's before you made the switch. I tried to find out all I could before I ordered my first Mac and when that PPC Mini arrived, I knew how to use it no time. Apple is really good about that. Even on their website they have manuals, tutorials, tips, and hints. But if you're too stubborn to ask for directions then you'll never get where you need to go.
I've researched over 6 months.. I know what was and what wasn't and what I wanted. I like the design of the Mac.. and of course I like the US support. But what I'm saying is... and you can all get ticked off if you want... But it's fact and I hate to say it myself..

I was boasting at work about owning an iMac.. and was joking around with one of the sales associates in the "computer" department.. and I asked them.. why they didn't sell Mac items... His response was...

"Well, in about a years time, there will not be any Macs around, when Windows releases their new software". This hit a nerve with me.. and thought.. could it really happy.. and I really think it can.. I hope not, because I like apple better then pcs.. But look at this...

If the software is not out on the regular counters, or the hardware... less people will buy Macs. Apple needs to target home and school users and it's hard to target when their isn't any stores around that sell the products.. Other then a few Apple stores in the larger cities.

<Long Live Apple>
     
hadocon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Internet
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 12:51 AM
 
You seem to be rather challenged. All the things that you want to do are totally possible on a Mac. Take the time to figure it out.
MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini
     
hadocon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Internet
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 01:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by iSteve
I use to use FrontPage and it created professional web-sites...
Ahh Ha ha ha hA aha aAh ha! That's hilarious! "Professional" pages with Frontpage... Best one I've heard today.

... You were joking right? You are aware that Frontpage does not even generate WC3 standard HTML, not to mention the fact that the HTML is totally bloated. Won't even mention the rest of the issues with this lame-ass software.

My advice? Spend a bit more intimate time with your Mac. Don't be scared. Soon all that Windows sewage in your mind will be washed away. I mean you have clearly not spent much time with your Mac if you have to ask in a web forum about how to rip a CD. Give me a break.

Go ahead call me an a$$h0le. I admit that I am one. Tink of this as "Tough Love"
MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 01:06 AM
 
Originally Posted by hadocon
Ahh Ha ha ha hA aha aAh ha! That's hilarious! "Professional" pages with Frontpage... Best one I've heard today.

... You were joking right? You are aware that Frontpage does not even generate WC3 standard HTML, not to mention the fact that the HTML is totally bloated. Won't even mention the rest of the issues with this lame-ass software.

My advice? Spend a bit more intimate time with your Mac. Don't be scared. Soon all that Windows sewage in your mind will be washed away. I mean you have clearly not spent much time with your Mac if you have to ask in a web forum about how to rip a CD. Give me a break.

Go ahead call me an a$$h0le. I admit that I am one. Tink of this as "Tough Love"
Actually I had a lot of compliments with the ones I did in frontpage, along with basic HTML editing. so there!

I will be spending my time with my Mac Wed, and Thurs. I've got quicken down, can't say I like it.. but it works. Now I'm testing out a Sony DRX-810UL that's made for Windows support on the Mac.. so far it plays CD's.. now to test whether it will burn the CD's and DVDs. Will take a look at dreamweaver later.. but if I remember correctly.. it's expensive..

I'm not familiar with iTunes.. I never used it and don't care for it.. that is why I'm not familiar with burning using that program.
     
iREZ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Los Angeles of the East
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 01:08 AM
 
if youre asking about where i got the strange idea of you quiting...id look back at your original post.

apple isnt going anywhere so stop worrying yourself and stop listening to douche bags.

if youre looking for applications that let you do some of the stuff you cant figure out, try searching the applications forum (especially the sticky about top 5 apps), i havent had one issue that i couldnt do with my imac.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 04:04 AM
 
iRez.. that's the thing.. the "original" post... I have posted since then to show.. that I'm still hacking it.. In fact.. took the time tonight.. which I'll get up late... get to work late.. etc.. and played with garageband.. I finally figured it out. well, at least enough to do something in it.

Personally the one who told me about the new windows... and apple, is a douche bag..
     
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: London, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 03:32 PM
 
For Web page design, have a look at rapidweaver (www.realmacsoftware.com) (I don't work for them)

It makes nice looking websites with blog pages, home pages, pictures pages (integrates with iPhoto), podcasts, movie pages etc. It has various templates built in, or if you are creative, you can make your own.

It is (IMO) a reasonable price for what it does. Also you can do quick and dirty photo websites with iPhoto - look in share>export.

HTH
     
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 03:58 PM
 
Ummm.... Garageband, itunes, WMP, VLC. did you even BOTHER to research anything in regard to the questions you posted ? you just resorted to bashing Apple because you cant figure it out.

As far as software......ever since the imac made it so easy to get online, guesswhre you can buy most Mac software ? well..seeing as how you couldnt figure out how to rip a CD in iTunes...ill tell you....buy Mac Software online.

If the Mac isnt easy and ascessible how on earth did you find your way around Windows XP ? sure the mac doesnt have every specialized piece of software ever written....but the solutions do exist. if you cant find em...don blame Apple....blame yourself for being lazy. N company is going to spoon-feed you what you want/need.

Next time, buy a Windows computer...im sure dealing with dlls, driver issues and viruses must really give you a sence of acomplisment.
     
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: http://www.rotharmy.com
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 04:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by iSteve
wow.. cool..

I actually got some things done on the mac today and lovin' it.
give that man an obe
     
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2006, 09:07 PM
 
I think that this thread is germane to the discussion.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=209787
     
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: aurora
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2006, 12:14 AM
 
The purpose of the iMac is that you have all the software you need in one convenient package. The majority of Mac users will not take advantage of such applications as Garageband and iMovie but it helps to have them around when they do need to use them.

There used to be a target audience for the iMac and that was the home user. Now with a new operating system and better hardware there are limitless possibilities. For the home user it is their digital media hub. Edit movies in iMovie and burn them to disc in iDVD, create a song or podcast in Garageband, organize and play your music in iTunes, and sync your music with iTunes. You can connect printers, cameras, scanners, speakers, and any other peripheral available. Plus you can use iWork for presentations via Keynote(that look much better than PowerPoint) and Pages(which is a page layout applications as well as a word processor). I personally like designing newsletters and saving them as PDFs to send to friends.
For the savvy user there is a plethora of open source software on the net available for Mac OS X, third party software, and X11 for alternative solutions to Mac OS X applications.

As for my suggestion, I think you need to distance yourself from the Microsoft Windows mentality of the user interface, applications, and how everything should work. Use the Help Menu a lot and do some exploring yourself.
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2006, 12:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Ummm.... Garageband, itunes, WMP, VLC. did you even BOTHER to research anything in regard to the questions you posted ? you just resorted to bashing Apple because you cant figure it out.

As far as software......ever since the imac made it so easy to get online, guesswhre you can buy most Mac software ? well..seeing as how you couldnt figure out how to rip a CD in iTunes...ill tell you....buy Mac Software online.

If the Mac isnt easy and ascessible how on earth did you find your way around Windows XP ? sure the mac doesnt have every specialized piece of software ever written....but the solutions do exist. if you cant find em...don blame Apple....blame yourself for being lazy. N company is going to spoon-feed you what you want/need.

Next time, buy a Windows computer...im sure dealing with dlls, driver issues and viruses must really give you a sence of acomplisment.
I did NOT bash Apple.. It's a FACT! I have been around Computers and know my around most of them, since the early 80's with the first computer being a Commodore Vic 20! So I know my way around windows, since it came out. In fact!

1st computer, Commodore Vic 20.
2nd computer, Atari 800XL
3rd comptuer, Apple IIC
4th computer, Commodore C=64
5th comptuer, Commodore 128
6th computer, IBM PC Compatible 286
7th computer, IBM PC compatible 386
8th computer, Sony MMX (with new Intel MMX Chip)
9th computer, custome built by me, using gigabyte motherboard, 3.0+ghz, 1gb memory.
10th computer, Compaq (1.5Ghz system)
11th computer, HP m7170n
12th computer, Apple iMach 20"

So I know my around computers! I was making a statement as to what was not working and what was difficult to understand. No where in the instructions does it tell you in garageband that you have to click the little keyboard in the middle of the bottom of the screen to add the "special effects", nor does it even tell you what keys make the sounds, and what keys don't! THANK YOU!
     
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2006, 06:42 AM
 
So, well congradulations on your vast computer knowledge. Dont you feel a little silly not being able to figure out iTunes and Garagemand especially since they come preinstalled with the Machines ?

I'm actually starting to get disappointed with my Mac.. I need some fresh ideas on what to do with my iMac.

I have tried to create a podcast, with no luck. I printed their 98 page user manual and still can't figure it out..
After so many computers, you should probably realize that it takes some tinkering around with till u get it wired. Dont expect to write a sonnet if youve never played a musical instrument.

Cheers
     
kuys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2006, 09:03 PM
 
"Well, in about a years time, there will not be any Macs around, when Windows releases their new software". This hit a nerve with me.. and thought.. could it really happy.. and I really think it can.. I hope not, because I like apple better then pcs.. But look at this...
Hahaha, what are they talking about, Windows Vista? If so....HAHAHAHAHAHA Vista is a bloated-memory leaking bastard child of satan. With blatant rips from OSX, dashboard and the gui anyone? And lets not forget their mangled liscences agreements spawned of a million sewer rats plauged by montazuma's revenge. And I'm not a Mac bigot like alot of Mac users. In fact I'm only 4 months into my mac hybridization. I say that because I use PC's and Mac's in my home setup. I'm worked with PC's and Microsoft software for years, 14 to be exact. Not as a end user but as IT proffesional.

iSteve, it sounds like you have end-user experience but I have to really strain to see how a 'veteran' pc user couldn't find or even be bothered to find the ripping option in iTunes. I'm even more bewildered by the comment about frontpage. Anyone who used frontpage and proffesional website in the same sentence has to be over-estimating their ability. I could be wrong, though.
     
mark.s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2006, 09:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by iSteve
I use to use FrontPage and it created professional web-sites..


You're kidding, right?
     
Agent69
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2006, 10:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by mark.s


You're kidding, right?
That was my first thought as well.

iSteve, you might also try and take a look at Sandvox by Karelia Software. I haven't tried it myself but I did own a previous product of their's, so I would expect that it is a good product.
Agent69
     
parsec_kadets
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Golden, CO
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2006, 01:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by iSteve
And it is Apples' fault! Where is the software???? Why aren't companies supporting Mac and producing software? Not one local store here carries any games, software, hardware for the Mac?? How can a company survive if their products aren't in stores?
If Apple is in such dire straights, and it's so impossible to find the hardware, then how did you happen to buy one? There are lots of internet sites and catalogs that sell software and hardware for Macs. Also, just because the stores around you don't sell Mac software that doesn't mean that there are ZERO stores that sell it. Yes you can always buy it at Apple stores, but CompUSA also sells both Macs and Mac software (just one example). Hell, Best Buy is even considering selling Macs.

As for figuring out how to do things, there are plenty of free resources out there, but you have to be willing to look for them. Another alternative is to buy a book. Go to your local book store and you will find several excellent titles that cover everything from using a mac to programming it. Given your opinion of the state Apple is in, I think you'll be surprised how many titles both Barnes and Borders carry.
     
HAGEhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2006, 02:15 PM
 
HEY GUYS! I'm starting to get disappointed with the wrench I bought. I don't have any bolts! What do you guys do with your wrenches?
     
ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2006, 04:23 PM
 
Sometimes a person so woefully stupid comes along that you have to wonder are they purposefully putting you on or are they really this stupid? Either possibility is equally sad.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).
     
iREZ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Los Angeles of the East
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2006, 05:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by HAGEhead
HEY GUYS! I'm starting to get disappointed with the wrench I bought. I don't have any bolts! What do you guys do with your wrenches?

BAHAAAHAHAAAHAHAH
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2006, 06:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by kuys
Hahaha, what are they talking about, Windows Vista? If so....HAHAHAHAHAHA Vista is a bloated-memory leaking bastard child of satan. With blatant rips from OSX, dashboard and the gui anyone? And lets not forget their mangled liscences agreements spawned of a million sewer rats plauged by montazuma's revenge. And I'm not a Mac bigot like alot of Mac users. In fact I'm only 4 months into my mac hybridization. I say that because I use PC's and Mac's in my home setup. I'm worked with PC's and Microsoft software for years, 14 to be exact. Not as a end user but as IT proffesional.

iSteve, it sounds like you have end-user experience but I have to really strain to see how a 'veteran' pc user couldn't find or even be bothered to find the ripping option in iTunes. I'm even more bewildered by the comment about frontpage. Anyone who used frontpage and proffesional website in the same sentence has to be over-estimating their ability. I could be wrong, though.
Not sure if he was talking about Vista or not. I'd have to find out...
     
iSteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 5, 2006, 06:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by ndptal85
Sometimes a person so woefully stupid comes along that you have to wonder are they purposefully putting you on or are they really this stupid? Either possibility is equally sad.
LOL.. Just reading your post, makes it sound like you are talking about yourself. improper use of words and spelling.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,