Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacMini not booting up, or is it?

MacMini not booting up, or is it?
ary201
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 10:24 AM

Hi, I've got a problem with my new MacMini. I don't know if this is a boot problem or a display problem. I turn on the Mini and the light comes on, but no sounds. No picture appears on my VGA monitor either. Could it be that there's a power supply issue? Or can it be that it IS booting up very quietly and I just can't see it, because there's a display issue?

Is the only thing for it to go to the Apple Store and ask them to take a look at is?

Any help would be appreciated.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jun 30, 2006, 01:35 PM

If you have access to an Apple Store I would definitely just take it on in. If you have another computer (which it look like you do) register online ahead of time for an appointment so you can just walk in at the specified time.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

ary201  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 01:55 PM

Thanks blair.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2006, 09:03 PM

I assume you've made sure the DVI-VGA connector is securely fastened to the Mini, and that your VGA cable is securely fastened to that.

If you have another computer with an external video output (your sig mentions an Intel 20" iMac, so you could use the secondary video output on that), try to see if the monitor works at all. That will be useful when you visit the Apple Store-they should ask that right away.

By the way, you don't mention whether it's a CRT or LCD monitor; that could have something to do with its behavior, because some CRT monitors just do not work with incompatible display settings-it keeps them from hurting themselves.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ary201  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 01:42 PM

ghporter, no I don't have a 20 inch iMac. I believer that's badnewsblair's setup.

I have LCD monitors here at work. The DVI-VGA adapter seems to be secure, but it may be faulty. I'm not sure. I'll have to make an appointment and check it out.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2006, 05:18 PM

Any boot chime? Mine did the same thing...could hear the drive spin up, the CD drive would make its usual "eject" noise, and nothing would happen. My logic board was bad...luckily while it was still under warranty.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules