Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Mini or other new macs coming out soon?

New Mini or other new macs coming out soon?
Thread Tools
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 24, 2006, 06:01 PM
 
I plan on getting 2 mac mini's (one for my son, a college student, and another for me) As well, my wife plans to get a imac. Well a few days ago when i started posting inquiring on the mac mini another person responded saying that I should hold off, a new mac mini is around the corner. They said it was on macrumors.com so I figured maybe it's just that, a rumor. Well then I contacted a company early this morning to inquire about what they offer for mac mini's (configurations, etc). this was in email and their response was they would like to talk to me further about it but that they were just informed that a new mac mini is coming out in the future. Well I haven't called them yet but will shortly and will post here what I find out. To me now it seems likely because I was ready to buy but yet they seem to want to warn me to hold off.
I like the mini but my only concern is the small amount of memory but yet upgraded to 2 gigs it's fine. As for hard drive, I think 120 gigs is enough but more would be nice. My biggest concern is the processor. I'd like at least closer to 2 ghz. I don't even care if the case is a little larger so I'm hoping maybe it's a higher speed model (1.88 or higher). As well, with the new memron chips coming out I wonder if Apple will start slowly moving their lines over to that. I would imagine the lower power would pay off in laptops and it would start there and later move to the other systems.
As a side note, is there any talk of a new imac around the corner? Since my wife plans to buy one soon I'm interested in that as well. Also, any new 'series' of macs. What I mean is for me, I dont' have a lot of desk space and I already have a Windows XP machine on my desk so for me the mac mini seemed great. I can get a switchbox and share the monitor. As for my wife, she has far more room and probably will initially require a more powerful machine. Since she doensn't have a monitor the imac seems great for her. Eventually we may want a notebook but we don't want one yet. It just seems like it's a large step going from a imac to a mac pro. The mac pro is great but out of my price range. I just wish there was a imac without a monitor in a sense or either a scaled down mac pro. Is there any plans of something like this? if so I'd likely go with that instead of the mac mini.
     
archer75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 24, 2006, 11:32 PM
 
You can always upgrade the mini. It will accept the upcoming Merom processor. 2gb of ram is fine. You can even drop in a pioneer DVD burner and a bigger hard drive. Or get the ministack for a 2nd hard drive.

I'm willing to bet there will be some sort of a scaled down mac pro. Right now the Mac line up has a huge gap between the imac and macpro. I would certainly like to see something fill it.
     
badnewsblair
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond! VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2006, 09:23 AM
 
Damn. From what I've been reading just today I would hold off another 2 weeks just to make sure. All signs point to either new products or upgrades to the first Intel Machines by the end of the first week in September.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]
     
selowitch
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2006, 01:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by badnewsblair
Damn. From what I've been reading just today I would hold off another 2 weeks just to make sure. All signs point to either new products or upgrades to the first Intel Machines by the end of the first week in September.
Awww, man. I just ordered a BTO iMac with the video card upgrade and it's on its way from Shanghai. I sure hope they don't go and release a great new iMac at the same price. That would kill me. Can't return a BTO either, dammit.
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 25, 2006, 06:02 PM
 
Apple could upgrade the mini any day. Literally, any day. There are better components available all around, and prices have done nothing but drop since the Intel mini release.
     
tutelary
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 26, 2006, 05:10 PM
 
I would like a smaller mac pro with capacity for 2 total hard drives, and max 4 gig ram, with one core 2 processor. E-sata would be great across the board as well, on the imacs and everything. I am one of those people who does not yet have a mac and would switch if Apple fills that gap in the lineup. PLEASE APPLE!

I want a "headless" version as I would pair it with a 23 or 24 inch lcd of my own choosing as well. This is much preferable to me to getting stuck with what they give you on the imac.

come to think of it, the lineup should be:
E6300 and 6400 in the new imacs
E6600 and 6800 in the "smaller" mac pro
( Last edited by tutelary; Aug 26, 2006 at 05:18 PM. )
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2006, 03:15 AM
 
New minis are around the corner. Likely 9/5.
http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...te-arrive-9-a/
     
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2006, 03:19 AM
 
I'm sorry, but your first post is very hard to read. An amazing number of run-on sentences and a large lack of spacing. I rarely, if ever, mention it, but this time it was so bad it took me three tries to successfully read the post.

Anyway, I say hold off on both the iMac and the Mini. See if you can cancel your order on the iMac before it arrives....
Linkinus is king.
     
Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2006, 06:24 PM
 
Im guessing before or on September 7th. I returned an iMac on the 18th of August and Apple said I would receive my new one that next tuesday. The item is now backordered and they gave me $50 store credit for my troubles. So I'm guessing they couldn't ship me a new iMac because they are updating the iMac. Now the estimated date is September 7th.
     
selowitch
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2006, 06:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus
Im guessing before or on September 7th. I returned an iMac on the 18th of August and Apple said I would receive my new one that next tuesday. The item is now backordered and they gave me $50 store credit for my troubles. So I'm guessing they couldn't ship me a new iMac because they are updating the iMac. Now the estimated date is September 7th.
Well, if true, that would really stink for me, since I ordered a BTO iMac on September 20th that is due to arrive on Tuesday. I could really be screwed here. I checked Fedex and the new iMac is in New Boston now, having travelled already for Shanghai. Maybe I will have just missed the cutoff. Bummer.

I should have sensed that an iMac update was due around now. After all, school is starting again and the iMac line was last refreshed about 6-8 months ago, right? On the other hand, at least my new iMac will have a ZIF slot, which means the processor will be upgradeable. I don't mind so much being out a little money as long as I can be on par with the newest model.
( Last edited by selowitch; Aug 27, 2006 at 06:48 PM. )
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 27, 2006, 06:37 PM
 
Core 2 Duo mobile (Merom) products are going to drop tomorrow from a number of OEMs.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,