Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Connecting 4G firewire iPod to an Xbox 360?

Connecting 4G firewire iPod to an Xbox 360?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 07:48 AM

My iPod 4G is firewire, and the 360 has USB ports on the front and can be connected to an iPod (the 360 even has an iPod connection program to download!), will the 360 recognise the iPod if I use a USB cable with it, or do older iPods not support USB like the new ones don't support firewire???

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2006, 08:22 AM

The 3G and 4G iPods can both use USB to transfer information, but the 3G cannot charge over USB. The 4G iPod is totally compatible with both USB and firewire, as far as I know. The Xbox 360 connection isn't bad. I connected my 5G iPod and was able to listen to music and even show a slideshow of the pictures I had stored on the iPod (although I think you need to have the "Store Full Resolution Pictures" option checked for this to be possible).

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 10:40 AM

Thanks, all i need now is a USB cable to try it!

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 12:02 PM

I use a 4G iPod photo with my 360. I connect it to my PC for syncing by firewire and then to my 360 by USB.

That thing you download allows you to play non-DRM'd AAC songs off your iPod.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 06:21 PM

Yeah I've got it set up now, found a USB cable in an accessory pack I bought and had forgotten about what was left in it.

Its pretty slick, I only get the audio files as my iPod isn't photo or video, but I get the library and playlist on the screen, and a visualiser option too, nice!!

Second question, are there any games that support using the iPod for in game music instead of the games own soundtrack, I've tried PGR 3 but its set to its own music options.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 04:53 PM

While you're in the game, hit the Xbox guide button on the controller. From there, you'll see that you have access to your audio player. Just start playing a song and when you go back into the game, it'll be playing your music.


Sep 28, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Yeah I've got it set up now, found a USB cable in an accessory pack I bought and had forgotten about what was left in it.

Its pretty slick, I only get the audio files as my iPod isn't photo or video, but I get the library and playlist on the screen, and a visualiser option too, nice!!

Second question, are there any games that support using the iPod for in game music instead of the games own soundtrack, I've tried PGR 3 but its set to its own music options.
Try listening to Enya while playing Ghost Recon. It's amazing. My 4G doesn't work with my Xbox 360 for some reason after the last software update.
-

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 
Try listening to Enya while playing Ghost Recon. It's amazing. My 4G doesn't work with my Xbox 360 for some reason after the last software update.
When did that software update come out? I always update my iPod photo, which I think is considered 4th gen. It still works fine on my 360.


Sep 29, 2006, 04:45 PM

It came out last July or August I believe. After that it didn't work. How is your iPod formatted? Mine is formatted for Mac. I wonder if it must be Windows formatted.
-

renejram
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 05:27 PM

I've been on the phone not joking for about 4 hr. took a little break to play call of duty 2. I call 4mybox 3 times and apple ipod support 2. Well guys i hope you can help. i got this new ipod recently and i've been trying to connect it to my 360. I've downloaded the software for ipod support to my xbox and connected my ipod. here's the prob. My 360 reconized i connect it but it doesnt display the music i have save on my ipod. can you guys help?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2006, 08:27 PM

I really don't know, but I assume that you're not trying to play stuff from the iTunes store, are you?

By the way, please don't PM the moderators with questions. We will try and help you on the forums but we are not private tech support.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 12:02 PM

I had a PM too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules