Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I hook up my MBP with my buddies?

How do I hook up my MBP with my buddies?
Adower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 08:51 PM

Im trying to figure out how to hook up two MBP so I can transfer files from one computer to another. Is there any way to use blue tooth, usb, or a prog such as AIM?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 09:47 PM

If you're both on the same local network, you can use file sharing in OSX.

If you're at different places on the internet you can use apps like FolderShare.

Adower  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 09:54 PM

We are going to be using the wireless internet at school. Will that constitute us both being on the same network?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 09:55 AM

Might, might not, depends how the school's network is set up.

I'd just go with FolderShare... it's easier even if you are on the same network. Just set up the folder(s) to sync and it will automatically sync any files that either of you add/change/delete on either end.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 10:35 AM

Chances are you'll be on the same local network so try this:
• On both Macs turn on file sharing (System Preferences > Sharing > Personal File Sharing > Start)
• Give both Macs a unique name (you can set it System Preferences > Sharing)
• Turn on AirPort on both Macs and make sure they are connected to the school's wireless network
• In the Finder of MacA chose Go > Connect to Server... and enter afp://MacB.local (afp is the Apple File Sharing Protocol)
• And likewise you can also connect from MacB by entering afp://MacA.local

Then you should be able to authenticate and chose the partition or user home to mount. A possibly simpler and certainly more secure way to transfer files especially if it's across the internet is scp. Open a shell and type 'man scp' to find out more. Basically it copies files across an open ssh session. For example:

scp ~/Documents/foo.bar [email protected]:/Users/MyBuddy/Desktop/

will copy the file foo.bar in my Documents folder to the Desktop of user 'MyBuddy' on another Mac (obviously user 'simon' needs write privileges for MyBuddy's Desktop. scp of course works with all kinds of Unix-based computers, not just Macs. And since it uses ssh the data you transmit is enrcypted.

You can also use AFP across the entire net and just as safely as scp if you tunnel it through ssh. It's a little more involved, but once you know how it works it's very simple. It offers the comfort of AFP sharing with the security of ssh. Let me know if you're interested and I can give you a short guide on how to get it running.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 12:32 PM

Why not set up an ad-hoc network? Go to your wireless icon, and click Create Network. That will create an ad-hoc network that your friends can connect to. It's fast, easy and temporary. Just what you want for sharing files...

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 13, 2007, 01:39 PM

firewire, ethernet cable from computer to computer...many different options here

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 01:51 PM

Why is "everyone" trying to add so much complexity?

FolderShare is an idiot-proof, easy, secure way to share files between two computers on the internet (it will transfer over the local network if both computers are on the same local network). It's very "Mac-like" and I don't see any functionality the more complicated methods are adding.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 13, 2007, 02:06 PM

Hamachi would work just fine too. Also, if it is a laptop, why not just go and meet them for coffee or whatever and Target Disk mode. If it is larger files you want to transfer it will be worth it.

I think the underlying answer here is there are a ton of way to accomplish this. It just depends on the size of the files and the hardware options you have available to you.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 02:42 PM

I love target disk mode - it freaks PC owners out that it's so easy!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by badnewsblair View Post
I think the underlying answer here is there are a ton of way to accomplish this. It just depends on the size of the files and the hardware options you have available to you.
Exactly.

Ideally the OP should get several different methods so that he can chose for himself which one best suits his needs.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Why not set up an ad-hoc network? Go to your wireless icon, and click Create Network. That will create an ad-hoc network that your friends can connect to. It's fast, easy and temporary. Just what you want for sharing files...
Never seems to work for me. What addresses do you use and where do you see your frind's computer? Never appears in Finder > Go > Connect to Server > Browse for me. The only thing that helps is turning on Intenet sharing, but that's kind of missing the point of creating an ad hoc network...

Any clues?

Edit: Got it sorted. Although from a MacBook Pro I couldn't browse for servers (just got three folders, unlike from a PB G4), connecting to nameof other computer.local worked fine.
( Last edited by PER3; Apr 14, 2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Figured it out.)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why is "everyone" trying to add so much complexity?

FolderShare is an idiot-proof, easy, secure way to share files between two computers on the internet (it will transfer over the local network if both computers are on the same local network). It's very "Mac-like" and I don't see any functionality the more complicated methods are adding.
Because adding extra software to the machine is innately more complex than clicking a couple of checkboxes.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2007, 09:58 AM

My two cents:

Since the original poster mentioned AIM:

iChat is an AIM client. You've probably already set it up.

If you want to transfer data to your buddies, just drag the file or folder onto their name in the iChat buddy list.

THAT'S IT.

No step 2.

It doesn't matter how large the file is, either.

Un-Inferior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 12:29 PM

we have a winner

macflick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2007, 04:41 PM

So is there a way that you can connect say a MBP and a imac to each other and transfer files?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 04:53 PM

Yes. Plenty of ways were talked about above. Depending on the iMac - firewire disk target mode, network cable, peer to peer wireless, iChat, folder sharing etc.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by macflick View Post
So is there a way that you can connect say a MBP and a imac to each other and transfer files?
For you, maybe not.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Because adding extra software to the machine is innately more complex than clicking a couple of checkboxes.

AND!
November 3, 2005
Microsoft Acquires FolderShare, a File-Synchronization Technology Provider

The Evil Empire will know forever what you are doing!

.... Bill Gates will open back door and erase everything Mac Like!

Forum Links
Forum Rules