Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Argh!! How Do I Remove a G4 ‘Quicksilver’ Motherboard?!

Argh!! How Do I Remove a G4 ‘Quicksilver’ Motherboard?!
Koralatov
Senior User
Mar 21, 2008, 07:13 PM

One of the Macs I bought in bulk turns out to be totally boned, and is deader than a doornail. I tried PMU resets, replacing the PRAM battery, no dice. As such, I tore into it, and removed all the components from it. I’m going to sell them for spares (including the processor).

One thing I’m not going to sell is the motherboard, as I suspect that’s what’s bust. I’m currently trying to remove it from the casing, but I’m having absolutely no luck whatsoever. I’ve removed every screw I could see, but no dice. It has some ‘studs’ which I think hold the MB in place until it’s slid out then up. Unfortunately, there seems that there might be some concealed screws or something still holding it in place. As such, it won’t slide, so I can’t get it out. As I say, I’m not concerned about the MB itself, so destroying it isn’t an issue, but I really want to keep the case intact, for the reason outlined above. Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Mar 21, 2008, 10:07 PM

If I remember correctly, there are about 4 screws and 3 stand-offs for the processor that must be removed before the logic board can be removed. Did you get the stand-offs out too?
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2008, 03:21 AM

You're right, the motherboard needs to slide away from the ports to lift up. One easy to miss screw tends to be between the processor and the RAM or PCI slots...

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Mar 23, 2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn View Post
Did you get the stand-offs out too?
If you mean the hexagonal fittings that screw into the case, then yes, I finally realised that was what was causing the problem. I felt incredibly stupid, because I’d looked at them a whole bunch of time and it hadn’t clicked that they were attached too.

Many thanks for helping me out with my own blindess/stupidity!

Forum Links
Forum Rules