Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I Fancy Learning Shorthand on the Cheap—Any Ideas?

I Fancy Learning Shorthand on the Cheap—Any Ideas?
Koralatov
Senior User
Apr 12, 2008, 03:53 PM

I’ve taken it into my head of late to learn shorthand. I’m not sure exactly where the idea came from, but it seems like a good one; it would be useful for my work, and a skill I could put on my CV, though perhaps not as valuable as it might once have been.

However, I’m fundamentally cheap, and I’d like to find a way of learning it either for free, or very cheap. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to do so?

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 05:28 PM

I would start at the library.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2008, 06:23 PM

What do you do for a living ?

-t

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2008, 06:24 PM

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2008, 02:34 AM

You might try Speed Writing.

You don't have to learn a squiggly-line language. You simply come up with a set of symbols or abbreviations for common words that you find in lectures.

Tips for Using Shorthand

Developing shortcuts in your writing is not a new idea, of course. Students have been using this method for as long as they've been taking class notes. The trick is to develop a good system and to do it well. To do that, you have to practice.

Speed Writing - Fast Notes - Shorthand
Or EasyScript.

It was reported that students of EasyScript were able to master the method in one day of study [4] and attain a writing speed of 70 to 80 wpm after three weeks of training. After a further review and practice writing speeds up to 100 words per minute can be attained.

EasyScript Speed Writing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or these...

Secrets to Top Speed Writing
By Marsha Maung Platinum Quality Author

If you’re the kind of person who usually spends 45 minutes to write 3 sentences, you’re not alone! I am constantly surrounded by people who keep asking me, “How do you write so fast so much?” Erm….taking the mistakes and simple spelling errors into account?

Well, here’s the thing. You don’t really need REAL talent to write fast and I am telling you how over here.

Secrets to Top Speed Writing
Speed Writing in Lectures

Keeping up with fast talking instructors is a universal challenge for college students. Below are 8 strategies to speed notetaking in class and increase chances of getting valuable lecture information in notes. As you practice using these 8 strategies for speed writing, the pace at which you record notes will increase and you will have more time to listen.

http://www.yorku.ca/rkenedy/critical..._lectures.html
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Apr 13, 2008, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What do you do for a living ?
I’m not entirely sure what it would be called; it’s probably best described as a “data analyst”. It involves a lot of emailing, and a lot of note-taking to help me keep on top of my workload. That’s partly why I’m interested in learning shorthand.

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
Originally Posted by abe View Post
You might try Speed Writing.
Or EasyScript.
Or these...
Many thanks for those; I’ll look into them all, and choose which one I think would be best for my use.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2008, 09:51 AM

I have examined learning Gregg, and it's basically learning a new way of writing English. On the other hand, Speedwriting, as I learned it, is just a way of writing less of what you already know. You do have to learn a system (what you abbreviate, how you abbreviate, etc.) but it IS quick and it has the benefit of being easier to comprehend comprehensible if someone else needs to read your notes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2008, 10:17 AM

Glenn hints at an important decision you have to make:

Do you need something that can be read and understood by other people as well, or is it just for your own use ?

The tools and approach will differ depending on your answer to that.

Also, since your job seems to be of technical nature, make sure whatever you pick can easily record thechnical terms.

-t

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Apr 16, 2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have examined learning Gregg, and it's basically learning a new way of writing English. On the other hand, Speedwriting, as I learned it, is just a way of writing less of what you already know. You do have to learn a system (what you abbreviate, how you abbreviate, etc.) but it IS quick and it has the benefit of being easier to comprehend comprehensible if someone else needs to read your notes.
I’m not too upset about the prospect of learning an entirely different way of writing the English language. In fact, it has a certain appeal to me; I’ve always been interested in different methods of communication. So, in that respect, it might be a plus-point.

Comprehensibility by others is less of an issue, to be honest. I’m really the only one who’ll ever need to read my notes, and my handwriting is truly atrocious anyway. Shorthand or no, it would likely be almost incomprehensible to anyone else.

Thanks for the input—it’s always useful to hear from someone who has experience of the subject.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Also, since your job seems to be of technical nature, make sure whatever you pick can easily record thechnical terms.
That’s something I’d never really considered. On more careful thought, beyond a few technical terms, my notes wouldn’t need to record a huge amount of technical data. Thanks for raising the point though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules