Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I need a self-running slideshow app for OS 9 - help!

I need a self-running slideshow app for OS 9 - help!
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2008, 11:04 AM

I'm planning to convert a spare PowerBook G3 into a digital frame, and whilst I've successfully replaced the hard drive with a compact flash card and installed OS 9.2.2., I'm struggling to find a slideshow app. I'd like to be able to turn the PB on, have it autorun the app which in turn starts the slideshow from a folder. 'Pictacular' sounded promising but I can't find a live download link, is there another app that would do the job for me?

Thanks in advance!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 03:25 PM

OK, my answer sucks big time, but wouldn't MS PowerPoint 2001 do that?

edit: to add link

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 03:36 PM

Is it too old to run a version of OS X? I think most of the PowerBook G3s could run OS X. You'd probably have an easier time finding an app for 10.2 or 10.3 than for Classic.
Vandelay Industries

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2008, 03:45 PM

Just remembered JPEGView which is perfect apart from drawing each picture twice for some odd reason, it displays, screen clears then it displays it again. Shame as it auto-runs from boot right into a slideshow, whereas Jade does better slideshows but needs an Apple-D to start the when it's loaded. Can I automate that keypress somehow do you think?

Thanks guys!

Edit: I don't want to use PowerPoint, and with 96mb of RAM I doubt any OS X will run well would it?!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2008, 04:17 PM

You could probably manage it with 128MB since you'd only be running a slide show. 96MB might pass too since you're only running one thing. I don't remember if the installers demand a minimum amount of RAM.

You can try AppleScript if Jade's scriptable.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules