Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac - no sound at startup, but fine after a restart

eMac - no sound at startup, but fine after a restart
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2009, 04:04 AM

I'm pulling my hair out with this one! I have a 1.42ghz eMac with 1gb RAM/80gb HDD. It's running 10.5.6 and is up to date with all updates. I have just fitted a new PRAM battery (reset PMU too) and reset the PRAM. Oh and I've deleted the sound preferences .plist file. BUT... although the Mac always makes the chime when it starts up, sometimes it has no sound thereafter, i.e. no sound at all is produced no matter what volume it is at. All Sound prefs are set correctly. If I restart the eMac then it works perfectly and sound output is fine from all apps. Any idea what this could be? I don't suspect hardware as it always chimes and a restart always cures it.

Any help appreciated!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2009, 03:48 PM

Oh well.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2009, 04:43 PM

My only thought was a sound jack issue.
I know the new Intel Macs seem to have a 'sensing' feature where the internal speakers work regardless of what you have plugged in for the startup chime, but then only play from headphones when the OS has loaded.

Forum Links
Forum Rules