Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sheriff Joe is doing just fine

Sheriff Joe is doing just fine
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2017, 05:50 AM

You see this also doesn't help with the message that the administration is impartial on this. You could argue that the pardoning is valid but it's much harder to argue that the timing isn't helpful to the right wingers.

President Trump pardons controversial sheriff Joe Arpaio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41058851
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
You see this also doesn't help with the message that the administration is impartial on this. You could argue that the pardoning is valid but it's much harder to argue that the timing isn't helpful to the right wingers.

President Trump pardons controversial sheriff Joe Arpaio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41058851
Joe donated $500,000 to the Trump foundation and $100,000 to Melania's Senate campaign fund.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Aug 26, 2017, 02:09 PM

Should Joe Arpaio get his own thread?

I've heard of him, and he was facing up to 6 months jail time for contempt of court. For continuing racial profiling stops after a court ordered the practice stopped. I think Trump should have let judicial consequences play out.

But what bothers me more: important guilty people are let off the hook. From the Nixon pardon on, we've increasingly let justice slide for important people. A trend that's steadily gotten worse. While for ordinary people ... if the yellow light has been shortened a second and the camera catches you, it's a merciless ticket. With maximum penalties under the law if you don't pay up promptly.

Justice is becoming mercy for the rich and powerful. Mostly the powerful. Vs maximum consequences for the rest of us, and a distinct lack of mercy. ie - minimum sentencing guidelines. This is on top of legal defense, which the upper class can pay for. The rest of us get public defenders, whose departments are perpetually underfunded. To the point where PDs can routinely have hundreds of open cases.

Joe Arpaio should have served his time.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2017, 02:30 PM

I dislike the guy quite intensely, but I can sorta see the "he's 90, and they did shitcan him for it" argument.

Not that it makes it cool, but the miscarriage quotient may not be as large as it appears.

This is separate from Trump's political haymaking from it, or that Arpaio deserves time on a chain gang for other reasons.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Joe donated $500,000 to the Trump foundation and $100,000 to Melania's Senate campaign fund.
Are you ok with him being pardoned?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2017, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Prediction: Hillary and/or Obama will be incorporated into his answer.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Prediction: Hillary and/or Obama will be incorporated into his answer.
Not anymore. This should have been a PM.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2017, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Meh, Trump spared him from 6 month at Club Fed. Full disclosure, I voted for Apraio 7 times.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 01:28 PM

I think it's ultimately more about sending a signal to Flynn and Manafort they shouldn't flip.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 01:31 PM

Meh, Trump spared him from 6 month at Club Fed. Full disclosure, I voted for Apraio 7 times.

Very Christian of you?

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Arpaio has been accused of various types of police misconduct, including abuse of power; misuse of funds; failure to investigate sex crimes; improper clearance of cases; unlawful enforcement of immigration laws; and election law violations. A Federal court monitor was appointed to oversee his office's operations because of complaints of racial profiling. The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Arpaio oversaw the worst pattern of racial profiling in U.S. history, and subsequently filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 01:34 PM

He wasn't pardoned for those things. He was pardoned for a contempt of court charge.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 01:36 PM

It bugs the hell out of me when people accuse Atheists of being less moral than Christians or any other religion in light of self-proclaimed Christians like Chongo that are comfortable with such blatant immorality.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
He wasn't pardoned for those things. He was pardoned for a contempt of court charge.
My comment was about voting for him 7 times. Arpaio certainly doesn't seem like a particularly moral individual, and isn't a decent moral footing a pretty important quality for a police chief to have?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 01:49 PM

It bugs the hell out of me when people accuse Atheists of being less moral than Christians or any other religion in light of self-proclaimed Christians like Chongo that are comfortable with such blatant immorality.
Atheists make up for it in smugness.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 01:57 PM

My comment was about voting for him 7 times. Arpaio certainly doesn't seem like a particularly moral individual, and isn't a decent moral footing a pretty important quality for a police chief to have?
Understood.

I would have just asked that question without the accusations.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2017, 02:16 PM

Sheriff Joe was anti-abortion, and effectively blocked female inmates from receiving them until the court made him stop it.

My guess is that's all you need to understand as to why Chongo supported him. You can cause the death of countless people as long as they were on this side of the womb and be okey-dokey with some folks.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2017, 02:24 PM

You talking about the aborted?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
You talking about the aborted?
No, I'm talking about all the prisoners that died in his care.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2017, 04:59 PM

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's. Law enforcement belongs to Caesar.
Unlike Sherriffs in sanctuary counties, Arpaio enforced the law. I'm unaware of someone who should have been held on an ICE retainer that killed someone in Maricopa County, unlike elsewhere, the most infamous case being Kate Steinle. We'll see what happens with Sheriff Penzone.
It seemed like Arpaio was sued every month by the ACLU or Amnesty International, and won 99.9999999% of the time.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2017, 06:09 PM

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's. Law enforcement belongs to Caesar.
Unlike Sherriffs in sanctuary counties, Arpaio enforced the law. I'm unaware of someone who should have been held on an ICE retainer that killed someone in Maricopa County, unlike elsewhere, the most infamous case being Kate Steinle. We'll see what happens with Sheriff Penzone.
It seemed like Arpaio was sued every month by the ACLU or Amnesty International, and won 99.9999999% of the time.
Winning that has cost your county over $44m in court ordered compliance.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 06:18 PM

In case you missed this, you're down with even some of this stuff?

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Arpaio has been accused of various types of police misconduct, including abuse of power; misuse of funds; failure to investigate sex crimes; improper clearance of cases; unlawful enforcement of immigration laws; and election law violations. A Federal court monitor was appointed to oversee his office's operations because of complaints of racial profiling. The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Arpaio oversaw the worst pattern of racial profiling in U.S. history, and subsequently filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2017, 06:53 PM

I'm like a 10th generation Arizonan of Spanish/Mexican ancestry, so no, I didn't miss it. I saw it on the news. I don't need Wikipedia to know what he has been accused of. It forgot about pink underwear and green balogna sandwiches.
Accused≠convicted. As I said, he was sued with regularity and prevailed.

More disclosure. My older brother and two of my nephews have been inmates of MCSO.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 08:39 PM

I'm like a 10th generation Arizonan of Spanish/Mexican ancestry, so no, I didn't miss it. I saw it on the news. I don't need Wikipedia to know what he has been accused of. It forgot about pink underwear and green balogna sandwiches.
Accused≠convicted. As I said, he was sued with regularity and prevailed.
What about racial profiling? Did he prevail there prior to Trump's pardon?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2017, 09:18 PM

What about racial profiling? Did he prevail there prior to Trump's pardon?
That was the .000000001
45/47

OreoCookie
Aug 27, 2017, 10:08 PM

Are you sure about that? The lawsuits reportedly cost the county $140 million. Some “gems” include the case where a man was framed for an assassination plot (to “kill” Arpaio) and who spent 4 years in jail awaiting trial. Conveniently, this “plot” came out right before a Sherrif's election. That alone cost the tax payer $1.1 million.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2017, 10:56 PM

I was refering to the ACLU/Amnesty suits.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2017, 11:29 PM

That was the .000000001
So the Christian thing is not only to overlook such transgressions, but reward them with your vote?

OreoCookie
Aug 27, 2017, 11:48 PM

I was refering to the ACLU/Amnesty suits.
You made it appear as if Arpaio was targeted unfairly. That is not the case.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2017, 01:32 AM

So the Christian thing is not only to overlook such transgressions, but reward them with your vote?
Overlooked, no. Taken into consideration when applying voter's guide examination, yes.

Are you in Ontario? Arpaio is tame compared to the OPP.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2017, 02:28 AM

Yeah, you know me, eh?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2017, 08:14 AM

Overlooked, no. Taken into consideration when applying voter's guide examination, yes
Your world views need guides.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2017, 09:15 AM

Your world views need guides.
Keyword searchable.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2017, 12:20 PM

Keyword searchable.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

I would love it if you would cite the religious justification for your regular support of a sexual offender who pardons individuals convicted of crimes such as racial profiling, just to name a couple of issues that totally fly in the face of any rational observer's logical take on morality.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2017, 01:25 PM

I would love it if you would cite the religious justification for your regular support of a sexual offender who pardons individuals convicted of crimes such as racial profiling, just to name a couple of issues that totally fly in the face of any rational observer's logical take on morality.
I already have, more than once. Don't make me repost the clip from "The View" again.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules