Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther GUI is a copy of Windowz XP's

Panther GUI is a copy of Windowz XP's
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 05:18 PM

I was telling someone at work all the new features of Panther, and then he start up his PC and ask me (pointing to his monitor) "like this?" and I was so in "shut down" mode when I realized that the new window style on panther is almost the same of XP... maybe I'm wrong
but I am starting to think that Apple is worring so much on PC users, and forgeting about US, the Mac Users since 1984... what is happening here? why is that? suddenly MONEY is more important than Quality and ORIGINALITY?
Remember when Windows copy everything from Apple? I miss those days!

Peace
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

z|gzag
Oct 27, 2003, 05:22 PM

no idea what you mean, they look NOTHING like windows XP.
~zig

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 05:31 PM

He is probably talking about Finder looking similar to Explorer.

Well, they might look similar, but they don't act the same. Explorer makes a tree view of the hard drive on the left, while Finder lets you customize what is on the left. IE, the whole "User Centric" finder stuff Jobs talked about.

So no, the Panther Finder is not a copy of XP.
<This space under renovation>

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 05:34 PM

It's not a literal copy but I can see similarities in the selection/label colors and shapes (especially in icon view). They're more strident and remind me more of XP than of Aqua. I've sometimes wondered if it's just a normal stylistic development or if Apple is trying to make it look more familiar to Windows users. I liked the old look better but whatever works is OK.

By the way, who the hell is zlgzag?

dUbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 05:35 PM

You make me laugh

Ever considered a job as a stand-up comedian....
less = more

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
It's not a literal copy but I can see similarities in the selection/label colors and shapes (especially in icon view). They're more strident and remind me more of XP than of Aqua. I've sometimes wondered if it's just a normal stylistic development or if Apple is trying to make it look more familiar to Windows users. I liked the old look better but whatever works is OK.

YOU got my point, man.
I'm not saying it is an exact copy, I am saying that for a PC user it is more familiar now , that it is for a old mac user, get it?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Oct 27, 2003, 06:07 PM

I think it's partly that they want to make it a little more familiar for Windows users and partly that they're less anal about not borrowing from Windows now. They don't have a problem with saying that Windows had a feature first, as long as they can say that they think they implemented it better. This is very different from the culture many years ago (NIH and whatnot).

I think the Panther Finder is the one thing that's more Windows-ish now, but by the same token, can you really say that it's not an obvious improvement to have those shortcuts in the sidebar?

The labels do look kind of ugly, IMHO, but I don't really think that has anything to do with Windows. I just think that people associate them with Windows because they're ugly.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
I think the Panther Finder is the one thing that's more Windows-ish now, but by the same token, can you really say that it's not an obvious improvement to have those shortcuts in the sidebar?

The labels do look kind of ugly, IMHO, but I don't really think that has anything to do with Windows. I just think that people associate them with Windows because they're ugly.
Functionally, I don't think there's much difference from the icons in the old Finder's toolbar area. There's some added functionality like expanding spring-loaded folder action to the sidebar icons that wasn't there in the toolbar icons. But I do find myself using the sidebar icons alot more than I ever used the toolbar icons. And functionally, the toolbar is for tools and utility functions, so mixing up location icons up there did seem to confuse things a little bit. So I guess I do like the sidebar icons.

The labels, well, they're fine. Just be happy we have labels again! One more Mac advantage we get back from the old days.

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:

Heres my guess...

( Last edited by 3R1C; Nov 10, 2003 at 11:44 PM. )
3R1C

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 09:22 PM

As Mr. Jobs pointed out when he first demoed the new Finder at WWDC, the layout was inspired by iTunes. Whether you choose to believe that or not, it's a good thing to say when a PC user claims Apple is copying Windows XP's interface. Besides, in functionality Panther's Finder far outpaces Windows XP's navigation, regardless if their layout is similar.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
I think it's partly that they want to make it a little more familiar for Windows users and partly that they're less anal about not borrowing from Windows now. They don't have a problem with saying that Windows had a feature first, as long as they can say that they think they implemented it better. This is very different from the culture many years ago (NIH and whatnot).

yeah, but why?? why It has to be like that... when I enter the Mac Culture in 1989, was because we really think different than windows users, I mean, We were using T-shirts Mac related, caps, key chains, you name it!... We were the only ones who enjoy computing, day and night working on creativity issues, hacking, and programing with passion because we were using a Macintosh... I was PROUD then, and I am proud now... but in a different way, so... why Mac has to be more windowish (if thats a word LOL) and not more Mac?

Today, people still saying Macs do not have more softwares or games and they always complaining about compatibility issues!... you know why? because they want a PC when they get a Mac... and thats WRONG... don't you agree?

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 09:35 PM

I think the functionality of the OS X finder is much better than XP as well....but the fact of the matter is when apple, or anyone else uses a good idea, it benefits us all. As much as we dislike windows, there have been some good ideas from ms (fast user switching for example, although implemented with much more style by apple) Look at the dock, a derivitive of the taskbar....who really cares where the inspiration for features come from, as long as they are good. Besides, the "not invented here syndrome" almost killed apple in the nineties. And lets not forget, MS has continually ripped off some of apple's best ideas as well.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

kupan787
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Ratspittle:
Look at the dock, a derivitive of the taskbar....
Actually, if I am not mistaken the Dock is a dervitive of the old NeXT shelf, not the Windows Taskbar (which if anything is also just a copy of the old NeXT shelf to a degree).

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 10:17 PM

Is this a joke?

The Dock was born in NeXTStep, v.97, in 1987.

Panther UI a copy of Windows XP? C'mon!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 10:29 PM

I think the new finder save window that one see while saving a file is a copy of the window's save location window.

true it is better in that you can add and delete the items on the left and make the shortcuts easier.

Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Is this a joke?

The Dock was born in NeXTStep, v.97, in 1987.

Panther UI a copy of Windows XP? C'mon!
Oops, sorry...mea culpa but the point I was making is that a good feature is a good feature no matter where it comes from. If it makes interaction with my machine easier and more productive, I don't care whether it comes from NeXTStep, windoze, linux, Be, ETAL.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

pooka
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 03:02 AM

Bow your heads!

The ManŽ has spoken. Discussion over.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Forum Links
Forum Rules