Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP: My User directory became a "package" and "invisible"

HELP: My User directory became a "package" and "invisible"
Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2007, 07:19 PM

Somehow... I was using SheepShaver... and it can access the user directory from inside the MacOS 8.6 emulation... but now my User directory is no longer a directory! It says it's a "package" and it won't open! Further my HD now says it has Zero K available, even though I just deleted a bunch of files!

I ran Disk Utility but it found no errors on the drive!

Help me! I'm freakin' out here. How do I make it not a package anymore? I already made it visible but it's still a "package"... help!!

Dark Goob  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2007, 07:20 PM

Oh yeah I'm using 10.4.10

Dark Goob  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2007, 09:59 PM

AppleCare tells me I have to reformat my drive. Surely there's a better solution???

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2007, 08:30 AM

Control-click, show package contents?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Dark Goob  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2007, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Control-click, show package contents?
Nah I just booted from another drive that has developer tools installed, and I did a terminal command that sets the flag that changes it back to a folder from a package. If you need to know what it is, I can post it here, don't remember off-hand. It was in the discussions.apple.com boards.

-=DG=-

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 22, 2007, 11:33 AM

If there is a terminal command to switch from one to the other I think this would be a great OSX user April Fools Day joke

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Dark Goob  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
If there is a terminal command to switch from one to the other I think this would be a great OSX user April Fools Day joke
Oh dear. Well, there IS a terminal command to do it, but it's ... you have to have the developer tools installed to do it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 12:48 PM

Why keep everyone in suspense?

If you ran into the problem others could and by posting it here, others can search on it

Forum Links
Forum Rules