Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How do I upgrade the system drive?

How do I upgrade the system drive?
Ryan813
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2008, 10:10 AM

Hey guys,
This is my first time posting here, but I've used it many times in the past for solutions to issues. So after reading the review on barefeats of the Velociraptor I was entrigued, and once WD finally released a version that was direct replacement I ordered one. Now I wonder...

How can I swap the system drive out with another drive but retain all of my applications?
I've been using Backup Exec System Recovery lately on Windows servers for similar tasks but I wasn't sure the best way to do it in Apple. I could possibly use time machine but I don't ahve any experience with it and I'm not sure what if anything will get left behind.

I'm sure this is a fairly common procedure, just foreign to me.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 10:13 AM

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility > Restore

Clone the old drive to the new one. Select the new one as a startup disk. Reboot. Done.

You will also find Disk Utility on the install DVD in case you want to do all of this while booted from something else than the disk you are cloning from. This way cloning will also be a lot faster because it will copy in block mode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules