Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > When will there be an HD Wii?

When will there be an HD Wii?
Thread Tools
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 17, 2008, 12:34 PM
 
I know this topic has probably been covered in the "PS3, Wii or XB360" thread somewhere -- but my keyword search didn't turn up a specific reference.

At any rate, does anyone think that Nintendo will release an HD Wii anytime soon? There are rumors about it but so far its been limited to personal blogs and the like. I guess one of the big advantages of the Wii is the price-which would undoubtedly increase if it became HD compatible. Thoughts?
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 17, 2008, 01:09 PM
 
It was a serious mistake on Nintendo's part in my opinion to not give the original Wii HD output. I think that an HD Wii is definitely in the works, probably for an October or November release before the holiday season. Of course, it is possible that HD output could be "unlocked" via a firmware or software update.
     
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
 
In short...
Yes they will release a HD console.
No it *PROBABLY* wont be anytime soon.

They are riding a huge wave right now with the current non-HD Wii (and the wave seems a lot bigger than what the HD consoles are on). Demand is still strong and so there is no 'business' sense to upgrade the offering.

The 'relitave' demand for an HD capable console doesnt justify releasing it just yet (from a supplier's point of view).

Of course this is just my opinion and Nintendo could release a HD console tomorrow....who knows ?

Cheers
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 02:15 AM
 
Too bad the Wii looks like crap on my HD setups, some of the games are interesting.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
jamil5454
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Downtown Austin, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 02:37 AM
 
If they upgrade to support HD output, they will most likely need to give the console much, much more powerful graphics processing capabilities. Otherwise, Wii games will have to look even more outdated to maintain a smooth framerate at 1080p...
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 02:52 AM
 
To say anything was a serious mistake on Nintendo's part is a very strange use of the word "mistake." Not only is Nintendo tearing all its competitors to pieces, it's selling these things as fast as it can make them — it couldn't possibly be doing any better. That's the kind of mistake I think more companies would like to make. And it doesn't really provide a lot of incentive for them to improve things at the moment.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 10:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It was a serious mistake on Nintendo's part in my opinion to not give the original Wii HD output. I think that an HD Wii is definitely in the works, probably for an October or November release before the holiday season. Of course, it is possible that HD output could be "unlocked" via a firmware or software update.
Yeah, right. It's outselling everyone else combined (see last month's numbers)! No mistake and no new version coming soon. While 13-25 year old males want HD cause it's cool, the people buying the Wii in droves simply don't care. I thought I might care, but I really don't. I gave up caring about graphics years ago because I want the games to be fun, not have amazing graphics. I only pay attention to the graphics for the first 10 minutes or so, after that, I'm playing the game and just don't care what it looks like.

Nintendo made a machine for the masses and not for XBox fanboys. They nailed their market research.
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 10:48 AM
 
I imagine an HD Wii will eventually come out, in the way the gameboy color did. Something to jump start [milk] flagging sales and appeal to those who haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
While 13-25 year old males want HD cause it's cool, the people buying the Wii in droves simply don't care.
I care, because it looks like s***. I don't play it because of this. Furthermore, I won't be buying any more games for it. Hell, I regret buying the thing in the first place.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:10 AM
 
What's interesting to me is that apparently the cables that come with the Wii don't even support full 480p. For that, you need to get what are strangely referred to as "Wii HD Component cables".

However, now that I own one I think its a blast. I've had more fun than I thought with it and I'll probably get a few more games and I don't regret buying it at all. Mario Kart is my fav so far.

Oddly, I still had to show up at the Nintendo store close to when it opened to even get a console. I thought it would be freely available at circuit city or best buy at this point.

Ah well, still getting a PS3 when the new bundle comes out next month.
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
 
The next Nintendo console will probably have HDMI and 1080p standard. But it won't likely come out until, oh, 2011 or 2012.

I think what people are missing is that the Wii isn't really going after the same people who got excited about the Xbox 360 and PS3. The people who actually care about HD probably wouldn't be terribly interested in a Wii anyway, even if it did have HD support. Nintendo has tapped into a totally different market - non-gamers - and in a sense, they've risen above the competition and carved out a new and extremely profitable niche for themselves. Scratch that. They're taking over the console market and the 360/PS3 are turning into the niche (based on sales at least).

So while the 360 and PS3 compete directly with each other, the Wii doesn't really fit into that competition. It's separate.

Originally Posted by Shaddim
I care, because it looks like s***. I don't play it because of this. Furthermore, I won't be buying any more games for it. Hell, I regret buying the thing in the first place.
Put it on Craigslist for, say, 5-10% under the purchase price. You'll probably sell it very quickly. Most people who sell Wiis on Craigslist try to sell them for above retail, so you can really easily undercut them. That's what I did just yesterday. Got $345 for $375 worth of Wii stuff, which would be unheard of for any other piece of consumer electronics. I'd say $30 for a couple months of fun was worth it, and now I have an Xbox 360 to show for it.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
 
You may enjoy the Wii for a long time, but buyer's remorse for the system usually takes a few months to kick in, so no need to judge now.
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I care, because it looks like s***. I don't play it because of this. Furthermore, I won't be buying any more games for it. Hell, I regret buying the thing in the first place.
I grew up playing an Atari 2600 and then a NES. The Wii looks freaking fantastic next to the 2600! When I see some of the 2600 games, I'm amazed I could ever make out what things were supposed to be.

YouTube - Atari 2600 - Night Driver
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:18 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
You may enjoy the Wii for a long time, but buyer's remorse for the system usually take a few months to kick in, so no need to judge now.
I've had it since launch, which is the longest I've had any system since the original NES. It really, really helps that my wife will actually play it.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:20 AM
 
480p is not HD?
45/47
     
Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
You may enjoy the Wii for a long time, but buyer's remorse for the system usually takes a few months to kick in, so no need to judge now.
I'll be lusting after my next gadget by then!
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 11:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
It really, really helps that my wife will actually play it.
Bingo. Target demographic.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 12:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I grew up playing an Atari 2600 and then a NES. The Wii looks freaking fantastic next to the 2600! When I see some of the 2600 games, I'm amazed I could ever make out what things were supposed to be.

YouTube - Atari 2600 - Night Driver
my favorite Atari 7800 games.
What is so cool is that you can buy those games in the controller for $20 for the 2600, 7800, NES and a few other classic consoles. The 2600 games are in a controller that is the exact stick and button controller that came with game. Amazing how electronics have shrunk since it's debut in '76
YouTube - Classic Game Room reviews XEVIOUS for Atari 7800
Welcome to JAKKS TV Games >> Products
45/47
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 12:30 PM
 
I wonder how many people bought a Wii and didn't think it wouldn't matter, and stopped playing it because it looked like ass on their HDTV. Where are THOSE numbers?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
 
I tried the Wii but I won't buy it, it needs a better output but as has been previously stated, I'm not the target demographic so who cares? I'll stick to the PS3 and those that don't care about graphics can have fun playing the Wii. Horses for courses
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 12:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I grew up playing an Atari 2600 and then a NES. The Wii looks freaking fantastic next to the 2600! When I see some of the 2600 games, I'm amazed I could ever make out what things were supposed to be.

YouTube - Atari 2600 - Night Driver
The Wii looks like trash compared to my PS3. They're of the same generation, there's no excuse for this.

As for selling it, that would be more hassle than it's worth. Maybe I'll just drop it off at the local orphanage, I doubt they're running HD TVs.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 12:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
480p is not HD?
nope, it's EDTV.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 12:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
As for selling it, that would be more hassle than it's worth. Maybe I'll just drop it off at the local orphanage, I doubt they're running HD TVs.
It's not worth 10 minutes of your time to make a quick Craigslist post and field a few phone calls in exchange for at least $250?

Don't complain then.


"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 12:58 PM
 
Wait, you're giving the guy crap for wanting to donate it?
     
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 01:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Mario Kart is my fav so far.
Really ? Thats cool to hear. i've been checking out some reviews and they mention "snaking" and "rubber-banding" (terms ive never understood). So for someone who's never played a console Mario Kart, i guess it wouldnt matter right ? (Mario Kart on the DS is a blast as well... probably my most played DS game thus far)

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I grew up playing an Atari 2600......[/url]
I'm still waiting for these guys to put that catalog up on the virtual console !!! i wouldnt mind getting each game for like $1-2. Given Atari's woes im surprised they havent tried putting that catalog up on the different virtual game stores already.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I wonder how many people bought a Wii and didn't think it wouldn't matter, and stopped playing it because it looked like ass on their HDTV. Where are THOSE numbers?
In the 'PS3, Wii or XB360' thread, someone mentioned that theres a really high percentage or Wii owners who own HD TVs...i think there was no source mentioned.

People keep saying that Twilight Princess(a GCN game technologically) looks dated...i think its still one of the best looking games on the system, technically Metroid Prime is probably the best looking game.

Factor 5 is hard at work baking something specifically for the Wii, and judging by their work on the GCN, i think their game will show us what the this console's technical power is actually capable of. To quote Factor 5 president Julian Eggebrecht "But the biggest milestone or mark right now is that we're almost done with the engine and it does everything that the PS3 did and then some, quite frankly. So we're pretty happy with that." (IGN: Factor 5 Wii Project)

Take what you want from that.....either way, im excited.

Cheers

P.S.>> im so glad Factor5 is back on a Nintendo platform, when i heard about Lair i thought they had abandoned it for the PS3. And like i had mentioned i would have probably got a PS3, had lair actually been any good(thanks six-axis, for stopping me )
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 01:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
It's not worth 10 minutes of your time to make a quick Craigslist post and field a few phone calls in exchange for at least $250?
No, it really isn't.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 01:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
No, it really isn't.
Thats a cool gesture, to donate it to an orphanage...im sure they'd probably appreciate it. let us know what you end up doing with it.
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 02:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Wait, you're giving the guy crap for wanting to donate it?
Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
No, it really isn't.
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Thats a cool gesture, to donate it to an orphanage...im sure they'd probably appreciate it. let us know what you end up doing with it.
Yikes! I should have read that more carefully.

Yeah, if you want to donate it, that's doubly good! Or if you do sell it you could always donate the money you get.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 02:31 PM
 
As punishment for misreading, you now have to go play the Wii for 3 hours on a 50" 1080p tv.
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 02:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
As punishment for misreading, you now have to go play the Wii for 3 hours on a 50" 1080p tv.
I'll do you one better - I'll play on my Xbox 360 for three hours on my 27" 480i TV.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 02:49 PM
 
We'll need to go the jury on this one.

What say you?
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
As punishment for misreading, you now have to go play the Wii for 3 hours on a 50" 1080p tv.
That's what I play the Wii on.
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2008, 03:04 PM
 
All hail the masochist.
I kid, I kid. I've never seen it on a HD tv.
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2008, 07:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
All hail the masochist.
I kid, I kid. I've never seen it on a HD tv.
Having played it on both, it sucks on a 4:3 TV, especially if you're trying to play split screen with someone else. The extra width is useful.
     
finalsortie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2008, 12:35 PM
 
Playing Halo on a 360 with a standard television is like playing Perfect Dark for the N64. . . Looking back, it was great, but now I cannot even tell what I am looking at. . .

Personally I own a Wii and my Uncle has a 360, they both have their place and we enjoy both consoles equally for what they offer.
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2008, 12:42 PM
 
I'm going to get a 37" HDTV in a few days... possibly tomorrow!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2008, 02:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
To say anything was a serious mistake on Nintendo's part is a very strange use of the word "mistake." Not only is Nintendo tearing all its competitors to pieces, it's selling these things as fast as it can make them — it couldn't possibly be doing any better. That's the kind of mistake I think more companies would like to make. And it doesn't really provide a lot of incentive for them to improve things at the moment.
Well again you seem more interested in Nintendo's pocketbook then yourself as a customer but keep in mind that over 65% of all wii owners 1 year ago had the system hooked up to an HD set. That is remarkably high.

Nintendo has always been cheap and lazy. If they can make a killing making you think that you are saving money on the current system only to upgrade it to HD in 2 years and make you spend another $300 they will be laughing all the way to the bank and I am sure you will be more than happy also.
     
Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2008, 03:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Well again you seem more interested in Nintendo's pocketbook then yourself as a customer but keep in mind that over 65% of all wii owners 1 year ago had the system hooked up to an HD set. That is remarkably high.

Nintendo has always been cheap and lazy. If they can make a killing making you think that you are saving money on the current system only to upgrade it to HD in 2 years and make you spend another $300 they will be laughing all the way to the bank and I am sure you will be more than happy also.
That's what I'm worried about. Having just bought one I really don't want to see an HD version a few months later! The unsubstantiated internet rumors I have seen claim that although an HD version is in the works, Nintendo is holding off developing it in order to direct resources toward fulfilling demand for the current Wii.

Oh well, looks like I'll simply have to accept the fact that I'll be spending more cash when HDii Wii comes out. I wonder if there could be a surprise release just before the holidays? Can you imagine the lines?
     
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 20, 2008, 04:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Oh well, looks like I'll simply have to accept the fact that I'll be spending more cash when HDii Wii comes out. I wonder if there could be a surprise release just before the holidays? Can you imagine the lines?
Again the problem is since the wii is selling well and making Nintendo a killing why in the world would they feel the need to come out with a version that costs them more and has lower profit margins? To make customers happy? Na, it is all about how much money they can make for spending as little time and money as they can.

PS3 and Xbox selling at a loss is a big plus for us consumers are we get a ton of value for our money. The Wii, it can't do **** other than "meh" games for the $100ish savings over the other systems.
     
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 11:37 AM
 
Hahahaha.... *wipes eyes*. So...so Micro$oft and $ony are under cutting their hardware to "make customers happy". HA-HA !!!

I guess they place really high on your list of companies that 'care about the consumer', i guess you think Windows is the best OS and IE is the best browser cause they adopted the same business strategy ? oh, and i wont even get into the Sony's 'root kit' issue ...lol....

Nevermind that, anyway.... back on track... fact is, no sane person, even if they worked for the XB360 or PS3 divisions, would pay the cost price for one of those boxes, which is the actual reason why they had to undercut the price. Some people argue this is a 'business tactic'....a rather expensive tactic....either way, be assured , Micro$oft and $ony didnt discount their prices below cost to 'make consumers happy'.... they did it to *try* and be where Nintendo is right now.

But they(XB360 and PS3) do have great graphics.
     
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 12:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Hahahaha.... *wipes eyes*. So...so Micro$oft and $ony are under cutting their hardware to "make customers happy". HA-HA !!!
No to sell hardware and to make up the money they need to sell games. In other words they sell you some kick ass hardware at a loss to them and a gain to you, then they need to sell you games so they have to make damn sure good games that they want you to buy come out so they can make the money back. So that is win win for the consumer.

Nintendo on the other hand never has to hear from you again after they sell you the wii as they already made money on it so who cares if you come back for games or not. Consumers lose and you love it for some strange reason.
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 12:24 PM
 
Do you know that MS and Sony are actually losing money on their consoles? I'm pretty sure the PS3 cost more to make than it did to buy, at least a while ago, but I don't know if that's still the case. Either way, it doesn't matter, with all the games, subscriptions, and DLC they're selling.

Anyway, it's a simple fact that all three console makers are just big profit machines, and they don't make huge concessions to consumers just to make them happy. However, there are plenty of situations where making customers happy is good business. Take the Xbox Live Arcade, for example. MS requires that every XBLA game has a free, playable demo. That means that crappy games won't get bought. Great for consumers, so-so for MS and game devs? Maybe. But on the other hand, a lot of people won't even consider buying a game without a demo. Now that MS has demos (the Wii doesn't have them at all, and I think the situation is inconsistent on the PS3), that's one more point in favor of them. And it's encouraged me to actually purchase some of them.

I will recognize that neither Sony nor MS are exactly upstanding citizens when it comes to treating their customers well. But Nintendo's just as bad. They're constantly slow on the uptake of new features and new IP. They've rehashed the same 20-year-old Zelda, Metroid and Mario franchises so many times that I wonder if they'll ever make a game that doesn't involve at least one of those three. Online modes in their games are terrible, if they are present at all, and the people in charge of the company constantly berate their customers by claiming that they don't want online games. And when Nintendo does come up with a good, original game, they often hold back on it for no apparent reason other than pure nastiness.

Take the Earthbound series. Hugely popular on the SNES. When its sequel, Mother 3, came out for GBA in Japan, it sold hundreds of thousands of copies. People have been clamoring for a US release, but Nintendo refuses to do it. There's no reason not to. It sold well in Japan, and there are lots of people in the US who are interested as well. There's even a fan-run project to translate the entire game from Japanese into English. Many other games get hugely delayed European releases as well, and importing is impossible because all their games are region-coded.

They were going to release Earthbound for the Virtual Console, but now they're not doing that either. Why not? No reason at all. People would buy it, and it would cost them nothing to make it available.

So it seems as though Nintendo actively hates its fans. MS and Sony, on the other hand, simply don't care. They act indiscriminately towards everyone in the singular pursuit of money, but if they know there are a lot of people interested in something, they'll at least try to go after it.

I do fully agree with you, though, on MS and Sony wishing they could be in the same position as Nintendo when it comes to selling hardware. I mean, who wouldn't? Nintendo is selling almost twice as many Wiis as the combined sales of the Xbox 360 and the PS3, and they're charging $250 for what is essentially two GameCubes (which cost $30 to buy now, by the way).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
 
So lets just single out Nintendo(as always) ? i'm sick on the 'core' fanboy mentality....they cant make up their mind what they want in a system. But their disdain on Nintendo is clear, which takes away any objectivity of their arguments againt em.

Moving on....

Analogue: And speaking about the absolute bs claim that they dont have to make winning software to get customers coming back ..... in 18 months Nintendo, on their own have released...
-Zelda Twilight Princess
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Metroid Prime 3
-Super Smash Brothers Brawl
-Mario Kart
(Mario strikers, Paper mario, Wii fit, etc, etc.....) Thats just their first party efforts.

Now compare that to the number of AAA first party titles from Microsoft's Game Divisions and Sony Studios for the XB360 and PS3.

And judging by this.... your argument that Wii owners dont buy games falls apart....
Nintendo: Wii Has Highest Software Sales for First 18 Months

From the looks of it, barley anyone(in comparison) is buying XB360/PS3 hardware of software. strange eh ?
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 21, 2008 at 02:19 PM. )
     
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So lets just single out Nintendo(as always) ?
If you noticed, I didn't single out Nintendo. All the companies involved have been assholes to their customers. Nintendo just has a way of doing it that's especially infuriating to some of their long-time fans.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
i'm sick on the 'core' fanboy mentality....they cant make up their mind what they want in a system. But their disdain on Nintendo is clear, which takes away any objectivity of their arguments againt em.
It's just because the Wii isn't designed to compete for the target audience of the 360/PS3. The Wii is an appliance; a toy designed to capture the attention of non-gamers. It's very good at that, but it's not in the same category as the 360 or PS3. That leads to a lot of gamers getting butthurt at the Wii's sales because they don't see many redeeming qualities. I think it's because a lot of them are afraid that the Wii's incredible sales could threaten the future of the types of games that actual gamers enjoy. But whatever, if Nintendo can make something that appeals to lots of people, good for them. They won't get any more of my money, ever, but it's not like they need it.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Moving on....

Analogue: And speaking about the absolute bs claim that they dont have to make winning software to get customers coming back ..... in 18 months Nintendo, on their own have released...
-Zelda Twilight Princess
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Metroid Prime 3
-Super Smash Brothers Brawl
-Mario Kart
(Mario strikers, Paper mario, Wii fit, etc, etc.....) Thats just their first party efforts.
I'll give you this. Nintendo's game development teams are amazing. Even if I don't like all their games, I will recognize that they are very good at making them. My problem with them (and one of the reasons why they're able to crank out so many of them) is that they all have the same characters, over and over again. That means they don't need to spend as much time and effort on art direction. Another thing is that the Wii outputs graphics at just 480p, so they don't have to spend as much time crafting detailed textures and environments. Lastly, Nintendo is a game company through and through. They can focus 100% of their efforts on making games. Microsoft, on the other hand, has *cough* a few other pieces of software out there that they're always working on, and Sony of course has extensive hardware and home entertainment lines.

None of these are criticisms of Nintendo, save my personal opinion that Nintendo games aren't that fun for me in particular because they don't appeal to me in general and their gameplay is too similar to previous versions.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Now compare that to the number of AAA first party titles from Microsoft's Game Divisions and Sony Studios for the XB360 and PS3.
They do release fewer games as I addressed in the above paragraph. However, I don't think you could call Mario Strikers Charged or Super Paper Mario "AAA titles." It's hard to compare them because, like I said, Nintendo has a long tradition of making games as well as hardware, whereas the Xbox and Playstation platforms tend to have more third party development, with MS and Sony focusing more on the hardware.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
And judging by this.... your argument that Wii owners dont buy games falls apart....
Nintendo: Wii Has Highest Software Sales for First 18 Months

From the looks of it, barley anyone(in comparison) is buying XB360/PS3 hardware of software. strange eh ?
This is misleading. The Wii has had tremendous sales, to be sure. No one can argue with that. However, the attach rate (ratio of games sold to consoles sold) is rather lower for the Wii, partly because of how many Wiis are out there.

The most recent numbers I could find were from late April, and they are as follows:

# Xbox 360: Software sales ratio: 7.5
# Wii: Software sales ratio: 5.3
# PS3: Software sales ratio: 4.6

So the Xbox 360 certainly moves software too.

P.S. To sum up what I'm saying, I don't care how popular the Wii is, because it does absolutely nothing to capture my interest. It's not fun (for me), so it rather misses the point of being a good gaming system (since the purpose of playing games is to have fun).

It boils down to what people enjoy doing. I don't enjoy playing Wii games. But in the end, it doesn't matter which console "wins." My only concern is that, like many other gamers, I'm worried that the Wii's incredible success will shift the entire gaming industry towards making more casual games that I don't care about. We're afraid that what innovation is left in the industry will be squeezed out by this new interest in casual games. I'm all for peaceful coexistence with casual gamers, but I don't want game developers to cater so much to them that they no longer put any effort into making games that are fun for the core gamer demographic (late teen to middle-aged men).
( Last edited by Luca Rescigno; May 21, 2008 at 02:52 PM. )

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 02:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
II think it's because a lot of them are afraid that the Wii's incredible sales could threaten the future of the types of games that actual gamers enjoy.
That's a long the lines of a post/thread I've been trying to formulate. I think it may be over console gamers. The Wii concept may lead the market towards more of a Lowest Common Denominator philosophy.

Alternatively, this may be how Nintendo exits the unusual three-brand market a winner. By carving out their own little niche.


Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
The most recent numbers I could find were from late April, and they are as follows:

# Xbox 360: Software sales ratio: 7.5
# Wii: Software sales ratio: 5.3
# PS3: Software sales ratio: 4.6

So the Xbox 360 certainly moves software too.
Let's not forget that Japan is a giant thorn in the side of 360 stats. Japanese gamers hate the 360. If you wonder why I constantly look for US numbers, it's for this reason alone. I don't know if it's xenophobia, but Japanese gamers don't like the 360, and in general, I don't think they are the best representative of the market in general.
     
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
 
Now there's a well crafted argument, thanks Luca. (You didnt happen to take a class in political science did you?)

Anyway.... i find your argument about the core gaming 'hating' Nintendo because...
"I think it's because a lot of them are afraid that the Wii's incredible sales could threaten the future of the types of games that actual gamers enjoy."...... rather accurate

As far as Nintendo first party titles.....i'll be honest with you...... never finished a Super mario Bros game... ever, only played 3 Zelda Games(finished 2). and the only Metroid games ive played are the 3 in the 'prime' series. Mario kart Wii will be my first MK on a console. I'm not a fan of Mario 'strikers'/'tennis'/'basketball'. Never liked Super Smash Bros. Indifferent to Wii Fit and absolutely loathe Pokemon.

I hvae to point out that Wii's attach rate (at least in N.America) is 6+. So they are selling a lot of software (not counting Virtual Console)

As far as game development.... Nintendo have outdone themselves this generation. It's strange that despite their enormous success.... major third parties seem to outsource their Wii development to their B-teams, which more often than not, result in bad quality games. you'd think that third parties would realize this and put their A-teams to work on a couple of Wii games to try and capitalize on the market. I mean dispite all the great stuff Nintendo is putting out for the Wii, i have yet to see a AAA title from a third party grace the Wii..... i'm telling you...there are a lot of Wii owners out there with $$$ to spend if only these publishers would make the slightest effort for it.

Platinum Games is probably the first 'AAA' studio writing a game specifically for Wii... and i think they will succeed. Capcom and Activision have shown good support, while UbiSoft, EA and the others do nothing but port their outsourced-PS2-SKUs to the Wii and add waggle.... all i got to say is... i wont be investing in their stock anytime soon.

Cheers
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 03:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
None of these are criticisms of Nintendo, save my personal opinion that Nintendo games aren't that fun for me in particular because they don't appeal to me in general and their gameplay is too similar to previous versions.
Running and shooting, racing, playing sports, solving puzzles - what games have new gameplay? It's a miracle when a game actually has something new.
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 03:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Nintendo on the other hand never has to hear from you again after they sell you the wii as they already made money on it so who cares if you come back for games or not. Consumers lose and you love it for some strange reason.
WTF? They already got $5, so they don't want another $5? That makes absolutely no sense. Companies *always* want another dollar. By your argument, MS has no motivation to make more games once they hit whatever minimum attach rate gets them to the margins Nintendo made on the hardware. So, since they already have Halo 3, they don't need any other games.
     
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2008, 03:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
WTF? They already got $5, so they don't want another $5? That makes absolutely no sense. Companies *always* want another dollar. By your argument, MS has no motivation to make more games once they hit whatever minimum attach rate gets them to the margins Nintendo made on the hardware. So, since they already have Halo 3, they don't need any other games.
Uh yes it makes sence. If they made $5 if they never hear from you again that is fine. If you do come back that is gravy. When MS and Sony LOSE $200 on a system they sell you they are hell bent on putting enough content out there to make at least their money back.
     
ajprice
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2008, 06:43 AM
 
In terms of making money, Nintendo are doing great. $5 per console doesn't sound much until you account for how many they have sold.

I don't know the numbers so I'll invent a figure - 1 million for each console.

So for 1m consoles sold, Nintendo make $5m on hardware sales, MS and Sony lose $200m.

I don't know what their profit margin is on games, but its a lot of games to sell for every 1m consoles to make $200 back (but I'm sure GTA IV helped them both).

Meanwhile Nintendo are raking it in.

I agree with the 'why should they make a HD Wii'. Companies are there to make money, priority no. 1.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,