Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Best iPhone eBook reader and full PDF reader?

Best iPhone eBook reader and full PDF reader?
davecom
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 01:53 AM

Which is the best for eBooks including text eBooks. And, what is the best PDF reader for PDFs with images? Thanks!

davecom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 02:52 AM

I'm also looking for a good dictionary and I'm open to web apps for the dictionary and the book reader.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2008, 01:53 PM

Stanza seems like a nice ebook reader (and free at that). I just haven't figured out how to transfer previously purchased books from my computer.
Nemo me impune lacesset

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2008, 05:40 PM

What is this 'purchase' you speak of? I want to read the stuff from Gutenberg Project.

In order to get your book onto your iPhone, open the book in Stanza, select File->Export Book As->Apple iPhone, and then save the resulting .plist file to the Desktop. Next, open Safari, and select File->Import Bookmarks, then select the file you saved. You will be prompted to name the new folder: you can leave the name as the default one, or you can name it anything you like. Next, plug in your iPhone and launch iTunes, and sync your iPhone, first making sure that in the Info tab in your iPhone preferences window that you have bookmark syncing enabled. Once that is done, disconnect your iPhone, launch the mobile Safari, select the bookmarks button, and you should see your book in the list, subdivided by chapters.

is the old way.

How do I get my books on my iPhone?
The dedicated Stanza iPhone application, which can be downloaded onto the iPhone via the Apple App Store, can synchronized with the Stanza Desktop. The Stanza Desktop application is currently only available for Apple Macintosh computers, although there will be a Window version available soon.

When you launch Stanza Desktop, open one or more books that are in any of Stanza's supported formats. You then need to enable sharing by selecting the "Tools" menu, and ensuring that the "Enable Sharing" menu item is checked. Once you have done that, ensure that your iPhone is connected to the same wireless network that your PC is on, and then launch Stanza iPhone. From the top-level library menu, select "Shared Books". You should see your computer name in the menu that appears, which you should then click on. Stanza Desktop will then notify you that your iPhone is attempting to connect to your shared library, and request your permission to allow the connection. Once you have granted permission, Stanza iPhone will display a list of books, one for each window currently open in Stanza Desktop. Clicking on the book with then download it onto your iPhone and import it into your library for later reading.

is the new way.
( Last edited by vmarks; Jul 16, 2008 at 05:47 PM. )

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2008, 10:47 AM

Well, I do have ebooks I've purchased in the past that I'd like to be able to use the app to read. ebook reader will only work with ebooks using their DRM, where stanza has no such requirement. The problem is that I've been following those steps since I downloaded the app, but I have yet to have my computer and my touch connect. My computer doesn't show up in the shared books, it just keeps searching. The plist method works, but is a poor substitute.

I'm glad to find some current titles in the free books section- Thank you creative commons!
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules