Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Rename

Rename
Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2009, 04:28 AM

OK, it looks like Mac OS X has not the command "rename". Is there some substitute, or should I go ahead and install krename? Any advice?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2009, 08:50 AM

Are you looking for a terminal rename command or just renaming a file.

If its the latter, just select the file, hit enter and type the new name. If its the former, then use the mv command to rename a file. Just type man mv to learn how to rename it.

If you have photoshop, you can use bridge to rename a single file or a batch files as well.
~Mike

Pierre B.  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Are you looking for a terminal rename command or just renaming a file.

If its the latter, just select the file, hit enter and type the new name. If its the former, then use the mv command to rename a file. Just type man mv to learn how to rename it.
The "rename" terminal command can replace a specified string found in the name of a file (or, of interest to me, a group of files) by another string provided by the user. Extremenly handy when you have to alter in the same way only a part of the filename in a large group of files.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 09:48 AM

It's easiest to use Automator for this.

http://automator.us/examples-01.html

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
It's easiest to use Automator for this.

http://automator.us/examples-01.html
Really? I actually think typing one short line of text is easier than going through 6 steps and 5 pages of text to accomplish the same thing.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2009, 12:01 PM

Obviously you create a Finder-Plugin for renaming only once. I would argue that that is easier than compiling a rename command line tool, but to each his own. Do whatever is easer for you.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Obviously you create a Finder-Plugin for renaming only once. I would argue that that is easier than compiling a rename command line tool, but to each his own. Do whatever is easer for you.
It is a somewhat mute point, as there is no easily available rename (as in, the linux CL command) for OS X. MacPorts has no util-linux package.. though fink may.

OP- depending on what type of batch rename you need to do, a find command or ls along with awk could pretty easily do the trick.

Pierre B.  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
It is a somewhat mute point, as there is no easily available rename (as in, the linux CL command) for OS X. MacPorts has no util-linux package.. though fink may.
Fink provides krename, but it asks for tens more packages to be installed before proceeding to this utility's source code processing. And it seems this comes with a GUI too while I am simply interested in a CL command; I hoped that OS X has some other command to do the same.

EDIT: oops, fink offers also ren; this is probably the command to try first.
( Last edited by Pierre B.; Jun 3, 2009 at 07:14 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules