Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So long 15" Aluminum.......Hello Pismo!

So long 15" Aluminum.......Hello Pismo!
echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2004, 02:08 PM

I pined all last year for a new 15" PB, literally spent two months saving up in the fall and got one in December, a new 15" Superdrive...

Last month, was on craigslist and found a used Pismo that I was planning to get for the girlfriend. Talked the seller down to $360 for a stock, mint condition 400Mhz Pismo. Guess what? I ended up keeping it for myself. I love this machine!! Expansion bays, easily upgradable HD and processor. Plus 2 Firewire ports! I love this 3 year old black beauty! It's quieter, much cooler than the Aluminum and the style is much more tasty in my opinion.

I just put my Aluminum on ebay, so there's no going back.....

Only downside is that I can't upgrade the VRAM and the keyboard is springy (therefor noisy!). gonna buy an iMac G5 in the fall, should complement each other well!

Any other "switchers" out there?
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 02:16 PM

PeterKG
Senior User
Aug 1, 2004, 02:18 PM

Whatever floats your boat. Even if the boat is moving backwards.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2004, 03:11 PM

Well, I have a 17" 1 GHz PowerBook and a Pismo 500 MHz, I love both but I would love that the next PowerBook G5 has a look like an updated and redesigned Pismo instead of the Al look. But it is just personal taste.

BTW, is Boston that boring?

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by echosphere:
I Any other "switchers" out there?
heck no! you made two giant leaps backwards. but, hey, to each his own. i ebay'd my tibook 800 and bought a G3/900 ibook as a temporary replacement. the CPU and bus speeds are close and the benchmarks are similar, except in altivec-enabled tasks of course.

the G3 PowerBook is a neat little project machine and not much more. true, you can replace just about anything in it yourself but then your forced to deal with limited performance--unless you spend major bucks upgrading the hard drive, CPU and installing a superdrive. they don't seem to die either. and what a beauty! but with performance and portability in mind, an ibook just works much better and the latest powerbooks are leaps and bounds ahead of the Pismo.

again, to each his own. but slow, slower with OS X and crashy with 9.2. enjoy!

bighead
Senior User
Aug 1, 2004, 04:32 PM

I went from a Pismo 500 (used for almost 3 years through college) to a TiBook 500 (which I used in the mean time between losing the Pismo and getting the replacement, a 12" PowerBook under AppleCare) then used the 12" PowerBook (DVI Combo) for a little while. Ended up buying a 15" 1.25 GHz SuperDrive with the TiBook trade-in deal. Loved it to death. Then I bought a 15" 1.5 GHz when they were introduced and sold the 1.25 SuperDrive. Now, I've got the 1.5 GHz and the girlfriend has the 12" and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The only thing I miss about the Pismo is the dual battery and the increased wireless range. Still, I'd never give up my 15" for a Pismo, even with a massive processor, RAM, and HD upgrade. Never never never.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2004, 06:58 PM

Powaqqatsi, good movie in a great trilogy.

Angelmb, yes, especially since I lived in NYC prior. For it's size and massive Uni's, Boston should have more going on, but doesn't.

I don't necessarily look at it as a step backwards as I wasn't using the extra features, such as the backlit keyboard. While cute, made keys harder to see most of the time. Also, Gigabit, Superdrive, Firewire 800, DIV port, never have been used so far by me. And I really spent months specking it out. Cruises the web at about the same speed as my Pismo.

Also, if we were buying machines just for the speed alone, then why not get a damn fast Dell XP Centrino? I just happen to find the style and personality of the Pismo much more user friendly.

Btw, selling is believing, check it out, even bid if you want
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2004, 06:59 PM

Just curious, how high can the Pismo processor be upgraded? What about the HD? What is the VRAM, 8 MB? I only saw and used a Pismo once and I thought it was a great machine; it looked new and that was a year ago. Where could I buy one?

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2004, 07:15 PM

I bought mine on Craigslist.org. But there are really good deals on ebay. Just make sure to check various websites and forums for issues that you might see. The best ebay sellers are personal owners who are selling their machine to upgrade to a G4. I would never buy from a reseller since this machine was made in 2000, and a lot can happen in 4 years. To many probs that the reseller knows nothing about. Btw, the stock DVD-ROM drives that came with the Pismo sucks, if it ain't dead when you buy it, it will soon be.

Highest RAM is stated at 1GB, but wonder if it could go to 2GB as there are two slots, don't know if the chips for it exist though or if the machine could handle it.

HD can only handle an ATA-5 or lower, so the best is a 60GB 5400rpm Toshiba I think.

It has better Airport reception (no Extreme cards though).

The CPU can be upgraded to a G4 550Mhz for about $300.

VRAM is the kicker, can't be upgraded. You can install a Graphics card to pump up an external display though.

Expansion bays can add new batteries (still made) even have two! 4X Superdrives can be added for about $200. Also, you add an extra HD into one one expansion bays via an MCE mechanism that is also plug-and-playable. Been trying to find one of those. That's the Bomb!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 07:41 PM

i just went from a maxed-out pismo (ram, 5400rpm drive, etc) to a 12" powerbook, and could not imagine going back.

i loved my pismo, but the speed difference! plus 64megs vram (as opposed to the 8), size, weight.

bluetooth (mouse, my palm tt2); internal cd burner...

the pismo is a thing of beauty, but it is showing it's age...

anyway, to each his (or her) own
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

gomariners
Aug 4, 2004, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
i just went from a maxed-out pismo (ram, 5400rpm drive, etc) to a 12" powerbook, and could not imagine going back.

i loved my pismo, but the speed difference! plus 64megs vram (as opposed to the 8), size, weight.

My 15 albook is in for an lcd replacement (held on despite white spots for months) and am using my old pismo. Definitely slower, and I miss all my files and programs, but battery life is great and the wireless reception is head and shoulders better than my albook. Still will be happy to have it back, though...

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2004, 01:54 PM

Hey gomariners,

Grew up in Seattle and miss the city!

That sucks about the white spot. I'm having trouble trying to find an airport card that isn't more than $100 for the pismo...........

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 03:14 AM

If I could get the "guts" of my 12" Aluminum 'Book into the Pismo's sweet chassis, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't have the cash to upgrade or trick out an old Pismo, therefore I'm quite happy with my 12". And I only own the 12" b/c I couldn't afford the 15".

The Pismo was a classic, sweet design.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 01:04 PM

See, that's cool. I think sometimes that I've gone insane, but I love the look of the Pismo, it's cooler (physically), good screen size, ergonomic keyboard area, classier looking keyboard (IMO), plus the Airport, HD, RAM and CPU are all centrally located to be replaced easier. Has anyone noticed that the Al seem to get hotter with age? If you check out where the CPU, Airport and HD are located, they are near or under the palmrest area. The pismos all under the keyboard area with more airflow space, much better design concept in my mind.

Also, found out I'm going to Europe this winter for work for awhile, I will finally get to field test the Pismo! (never even got the chance with my Al 15" ) The thing is though, I don't know if I would want to, its beautiful Aluminum, while more sturdy than the Titanium, is just too nice to even think about scratching, plus, maybe it's my insecurities, but afraid it would make me look like a dumb rich American showing off with his sexy machine.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:

how do you find the switch in screen size?

i'm looking to change my pismo, the portability of the 12", but i'm not sure about the size of the screen.

what's your thoughts?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Nivag:
how do you find the switch in screen size?

i'm looking to change my pismo, the portability of the 12", but i'm not sure about the size of the screen.

what's your thoughts?

well, it's a smaller screen ( ), but this is what i experienced:

when i got the 12", i had it side-by-side with the pismo (was setting it up for sale to a friend).
i had no problems adjusting to the new screen (which is brighter and a little sharper); like the size, weight of the 12"pb (the pismo looked a little bloated next to it).

i spend most of my time on my powerbook; i work (and play) on it, and am comfortable with it.

and, again, would not give up those things, plus...SPEED! and go back to the G3 (but it is an elegant machine)

no regrets here!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 04:58 AM

Ditto FisherKing's comments: I switched from a Pismo to a 12" iBook and prefer the latter -- sharper screen, easier to handle, more power, etc. I never missed the extra 2", but then I mostly do word processing, email and web. I just make the fonts bigger in everything.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 06:16 PM

My wife has my old Pismo, it will have to be on fire before she'll give it up. And she's used my PB17.

If the Pismo could be upgraded to a 1 GHz G4 and add some decent VRAM, she'd plan to keep it another 5 years. We're even talking about a 100 GB new HD, something I'd be afraid to add to this PB17 but which I can exchange in 5 minutes in the Pismo.

She knows it will need to replaced for a more modern notebook if she wants to continue her video editing projects. I think she's really hoping for a G5 desktop, just so she can delay the 'upgrade'.

But until then, she enjoys having a machine with better wifi reception than the best Apple makes now (I was amazed, side by side, it still gets at least one bar better reception than my PB17 revA).

I feel the same way about my PB17 -- it's my favorite machine since the Pismo, but I would not want to go back.

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2004, 06:51 PM

Sekker, are you sure you don't want to buy her my PB on ebay? Just joking. My girlfriend even calls the Pismo "black beauty" now. It is a really great machine. Btw, does any know is there a way to fix the right side of keyboard so that it doesn't wobble and make noise? Maybe it's just mine?

tigas
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2004, 05:42 PM

Sekker, are you sure you don't want to buy her my PB on ebay? Just joking. My girlfriend even calls the Pismo "black beauty" now. It is a really great machine. Btw, does any know is there a way to fix the right side of keyboard so that it doesn't wobble and make noise? Maybe it's just mine?
Did you make sure that the right lower tab and the upper springed tab are in their right place? Until I got the hang of it, I used to put the lower right tab in slightly askew (upwards or downwards)...

Oh and on my Pismo I've swapped the HD (the original was too noisy), LCD (the original had developed a dead row of pixels) and optical drive (both the original DVD-ROM and the replacement VST CD-R died) with my bare hands with OEM/generic parts. That just can't be done with Ti's or Al's.

Now I've a G3/400 with 512MB,40GB-5400/2xDVD-R, soon to get a g4/550 and a 6000mAH battery. That will remain a good mobile internet computer for quite a while.

I'm so NOT buying another Apple portable for now. Not until they make portables with rounded wristrests - the Ti's and the Alu's bite into my arms.

And it's the last Apple portable that shows me - the owner, who paid for it - the Apple logo correctly. On the others it's always upside down

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2004, 06:24 PM

I pined all last year for a new 15" PB, literally spent two months saving up in the fall and got one in December, a new 15" Superdrive...

Last month, was on craigslist and found a used Pismo that I was planning to get for the girlfriend. Talked the seller down to $360 for a stock, mint condition 400Mhz Pismo. Guess what? I ended up keeping it for myself. I love this machine!! Expansion bays, easily upgradable HD and processor. Plus 2 Firewire ports! I love this 3 year old black beauty! It's quieter, much cooler than the Aluminum and the style is much more tasty in my opinion.

I just put my Aluminum on ebay, so there's no going back.....

Only downside is that I can't upgrade the VRAM and the keyboard is springy (therefor noisy!). gonna buy an iMac G5 in the fall, should complement each other well!

Any other "switchers" out there?
I'm not a switchers, but I'm with you. I'm still hanging on to my ibook G3 500 and hoping to get a new imac G5 when it comes out.

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2004, 06:35 PM

Tigas, you are my Pismo mentor!

Everything you're plan is exactly what I hope to do when I sell my Al.

The rounded curves and the way the apple logo is makes me love it even more.

Is it true that the Pismo can only take ATA-5 drives? The HD I plan to buy is the Toshiba 40GB 5400 drive (MK4019GAX), is that the same as yours?

What manufacturer and reseller did you get the 2x DVD drive? Found COMBO DRIVE CRX820E on ebay, but not sure if it's set Master or Slave and hoping the original Apple front bezel will fit on it.

Where are getting the G4 upgrade from, Daystar? Do you know what the difference between the 500Mhz and 550Mhz upgrades are? I've heard the 550 is just an overclocked 500. (not sure where I read that though..) Let me know how the install goes cause $300+ upgrades makes me hesitant...

Thanks for the tip on the keyboard, tried to reseat it, but no luck, still the same....

Same for me with the PB G4 15" top plate, the square edges hurt my wrists and it got damn warm after awhile. During the winter was okay, but the humid summers in Boston suck, plus the fan has been on since the temps been in the 80s. I LOVE THE ROUNDED EDGES, I don't know why, I just do.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's so refreshing to see someone here who enjoys and loves their Pismo. Instead the cliche comments about boating backwards. What they really don't understand, is that while the PB G4's are a step forward in speed and design (they are cool looking), they are a major step backwards in functionality and upgradability. The Aluminum HD's aren't even user replacable...

Appreciate any further advice you have.

Best, Echo

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2004, 07:48 PM

The Pismo can take any current 2.5" drive sold and still will up to when 137GB drives are available.

The best bang for buck is the SDR-6372 Toshiba 4XDVD-+R/RW/CDR module for $115 from Ultradrives.com. Fits right into caddy, faceplate doesn't need trimming, looks okay with small gap at bottom. Burns in iTunes with Patchburn II (see xlr8yourmac.com).

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2004, 08:17 PM

I guess you don't plan on doing any cpu intensive work on that dinosaur. I loved the Pismo, but it would only be good for checking email and pumping out Word documents for me.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2004, 08:56 PM

Thanks bmhome1 for the info!

I'm gonna try my 80GB ATA-6 drive. I wonder why people say they won't work? Maybe they didn't reseat the daughter card correctly after installing.

Yeah, I've been read the drive compatibility reports on xlr8yourmac and saw the drive on ultradrives.com. But then somone just posted a slot 4x DVD-+RW from newegg.com for $140 plus shipping. almost got that too except they reported probs with DVD burning. Newegg says that slot loaded 24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM is soon to be released for $74, both have free shipping decisions, decision... Here's a link to the combo, sweet! Can't wait!

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...133-003&depa=1

riotge@r, it may be a dinosaur in computer years, but it has so much going for it. It's like a Lego computer with the way you can upgrade/customize it.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2004, 08:56 PM

A Pismo 400 G3 with a 5400 rpm HD runs OS X 10.3 and all the current iLife apps just fine. Even iMovie works, the encoding can take awhile if the file is large. But with the newest iMovie, even that's not horrible.

I think a Pismo is still a fine college student machine.

The only thing this PBG4 does noticably better is video editing.

I've been constantly amazed by the quality of the Pismo - if Apple built more, they'd actually go out of business.

macbuddha1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 12:16 AM

If you don't HAVE to have the speed, etc. of the newer machines, the Pismo is an excellent choice. I have personally convinced no less than 3 former PC users to switch to macs by convincing them to get a cheap Pismo on eBay. They have plenty of room to grow and can run pretty much all of your basic apps just fine. Vive la differance!
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2004, 07:35 PM

bmhome1 : thanks for the Toshiba tip, looks like a terrific upgrade to my wife's Pismo! Superdrive ordered...

raferx
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 01:20 AM

The Pismo is a sexy beast... no doubt.

Too slow for my needs, but my wife LOVES her Pismo.

Can't blame her, it's rock solid, and always does everything she asks of it.

I could never go back, but you gotta do what feels right.

I'm Ti junky... I have an 800, and am buying a 500 in the fall!

Cheers,
raferx

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 02:36 AM

i'm in complete disbelief that you stepped several revisions and a generation backward to get a pismo. i understand there is a cult following for these computers, but I just don't get it. it gets hot like any other laptop and unless there's a an absolute need for 2 firewire ports and swapable drives, i wouldn't think twice about getting a brand new powerbook and phasing out the pismo.

i do give you credit for getting a good deal on one. my only hope is that you're not having second thoughts about what you just did.

and if they decide to put the powerbook g5 in a creaky plastic shell again.....

loose hinges and 2 stress cracks--no more money's going into this thing.

13 posts to go...
F = ma

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 01:01 PM

I don't know about others, but the Pismo is never warm, not even close, I can't feel a difference on the palmrests if its been on for hours, or not even on. Not that my Aluminum ever got too hot, just warm. The Pismo's guts - CPU, HD RAM are all under the keyboard and will ventilated.

Got decent deal for the Aluminum on ebay, sold to a PC user, so also have the satisfaction of convertering someone over to the Mac side. Shipped out today, and am sad about it, but I'm using some of the cash to supe up the Pismo and buy an iMac G5 in the fall. Rugged proven portable for email and PowerPoint. G5 iMac for crunching graphics and processing my large music collection with (hopefully) a 20" screen. This, in mind is the best of both worlds.

Also, if Tiger needs more power, I'll simply upgrade the Pismo to a G4. It is $300 bucks, though. BUT, WOULD YOU PAY $300 TO UPGRADE YOUR G4 PB TO A G5 LATER? Yeah, that's what I thought.....

Who knows, maybe the Pismo will upgradable to a G5 later? Doubtful, but who can say? To upgrade a G4 Al PB to a G5, umm, nope.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 01:15 PM

I don't know about others, but the Pismo is never warm, not even close, I can't feel a difference on the palmrests if its been on for hours, or not even on. Not that my Aluminum ever got too hot, just warm. The Pismo's guts - CPU, HD RAM are all under the keyboard and will ventilated.

Got decent deal for the Aluminum on ebay, sold to a PC user, so also have the satisfaction of convertering someone over to the Mac side. Shipped out today, and am sad about it, but I'm using some of the cash to supe up the Pismo and buy an iMac G5 in the fall. Rugged proven portable for email and PowerPoint. G5 iMac for crunching graphics and processing my large music collection with (hopefully) a 20" screen. This, in mind is the best of both worlds.

Also, if Tiger needs more power, I'll simply upgrade the Pismo to a G4. It is $300 bucks, though. BUT, WOULD YOU PAY $300 TO UPGRADE YOUR G4 PB TO A G5 LATER? Yeah, that's what I thought.....

Who knows, maybe the Pismo will upgradable to a G5 later? Doubtful, but who can say? To upgrade a G4 Al PB to a G5, umm, nope.

bear in mind, apple does not officially support processor-upgraded macs; i have seen 10.3.4 NOT WORK on an upgraded powermac recently (we had to bring it back to 10.3)
(just a thought)

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 09:27 PM

FisherKing, do you know why the Pismo wouldn't upgrade? Just curious because most Pismo's have haven't had a problem. Actually, none that I have heard of.

tigas
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 12:04 AM

Tigas, you are my Pismo mentor!

Everything you're plan is exactly what I hope to do when I sell my Al.

The rounded curves and the way the apple logo is makes me love it even more.

Is it true that the Pismo can only take ATA-5 drives? The HD I plan to buy is the Toshiba 40GB 5400 drive (MK4019GAX), is that the same as yours?

What manufacturer and reseller did you get the 2x DVD drive? Found COMBO DRIVE CRX820E on ebay, but not sure if it's set Master or Slave and hoping the original Apple front bezel will fit on it.

Where are getting the G4 upgrade from, Daystar? Do you know what the difference between the 500Mhz and 550Mhz upgrades are? I've heard the 550 is just an overclocked 500. (not sure where I read that though..) Let me know how the install goes cause $300+ upgrades makes me hesitant...

Thanks for the tip on the keyboard, tried to reseat it, but no luck, still the same....

Same for me with the PB G4 15" top plate, the square edges hurt my wrists and it got damn warm after awhile. During the winter was okay, but the humid summers in Boston suck, plus the fan has been on since the temps been in the 80s. I LOVE THE ROUNDED EDGES, I don't know why, I just do.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's so refreshing to see someone here who enjoys and loves their Pismo. Instead the cliche comments about boating backwards. What they really don't understand, is that while the PB G4's are a step forward in speed and design (they are cool looking), they are a major step backwards in functionality and upgradability. The Aluminum HD's aren't even user replacable...

Appreciate any further advice you have.

Best, Echo
OK, blow by blow...

1) oh yes, I paid for the Pismo, so *I* should be the one to see the Apple properly, not the rest of the world. "Get your own Apple!!"

2) Toshiba MK4019GAX - just popped the keyboard out to make sure. Silent, yes. Good value for money, yes. Very fast, well, no. If you want top speed find a 7200rpm unit from Hitachi/IBM or wait a few months for the new Seagate lineup.

3) I got a Toshiba SD-R 6112 last year from a local portuguese dealer in OEM version, but today I would go to the 6372 in a heartbeat. If fits and it works. The OEM versions are usually Master (it's firmware based), and for the Pismo that's what they should be.

4) Yes, I will be getting my upgrade from Daystar: a G4/550, replacement of the backup battery, and a new battery. I'm still wondering if I'll add an Airport card and take advantage of the hugely better reception of the Pismo. However a local dealer is selling a 11g (Airport Extreme) PC card for a quarter of the price of the *regular* Airport and it is Airport compatible (it�s a Broadcom reference design...) Decisions, decisions... Even without the Airport, it's more on the line of 750$, will overseas shipping and all the options...

4b) Yes, the 550 is an overclocked 500 but it still runs cooler than the original G3. This version of chip has just been made to consume low power and to keep cool in embedded systems; also, it's an old chip that has been made for a long time and is thoroughly debugged, benefiting from newer production processes. In fact, my plans are to get it to 600 at least.

5) I know the rounded edges remind me of a girl. It's a computer with a waist... (Yeah I'm a perv )

On another note: it *is* a computer made of plastic, and mine has a crack in the region of the screen latch (near the trackpad button), but we learn to live with it, and take care of it the same way as our PB17" brothers take care of their machines.

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 03:35 PM

Tigas, thanks for the feedback.

I'm gonna add RAM, new HD, Airport, then see if I need to upgrade to a G4 after. Plus I'm a little concerned that Tiger (yes, I know it's not out yet, but always think ahead, especially when you have a 4 year old laptop....) might not be "supported".

I remember Seagate used to make 2.5" drives awhile back. Do you think they would be worth a wait and see what they offer?

rmongold
Aug 11, 2004, 06:59 PM

Tigas, thanks for the feedback.

I'm gonna add RAM, new HD, Airport, then see if I need to upgrade to a G4 after. Plus I'm a little concerned that Tiger (yes, I know it's not out yet, but always think ahead, especially when you have a 4 year old laptop....) might not be "supported".

I remember Seagate used to make 2.5" drives awhile back. Do you think they would be worth a wait and see what they offer?
I would think your problems with support will come more from the *INCREDIBLY* antiquated graphic chip/8MB VRAM than from anything else. And while you can upgrade you 400 MHz G3 to a 550 MHz G4 to squeak out another revision or two processor-wise, you're going to be missing out on a whole lot of coolness (CoreImage, CoreVideo, Quartz Extreme and whatever else they come out with).

While I agree with everyone that the edges of the AlBooks hurt my wrists after a while, I'm not sure the complaints about upgradability are all that just. My new PowerBook (whenever it gets here - but that's another topic) will have an upgraded hard drive (and 80GB of internal storage on a laptop is probably enough for quite a while. Add another 20 GB on the iPod and all is well in the world), so I can't imagine too many folks needing to do after-the-fact upgrades on them.

But that's just me. I could be way off base.

echosphere  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 09:36 AM

It was only two years ago that 30Gig HD were "plenty" of space. Larger HDs will always increase exponentially as it is needed (and will be). Also, it take me 5 minutes to install a 100Gig 7200rpm drive when they come out, how about you? (ok, granted your machine would be degrees faster than a Pismo anyway, wait, ah heck that arguement doesn't make sense at all..). Surfing the web, playing music, burning CDs, the extra power is not needed really in such cases though anyways.

Forum Links
Forum Rules