Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > removing isight mount from monitor

removing isight mount from monitor
rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 04:26 PM

before I tear off the back of my Formac 2010 (in order to sell for an Apple 30) does anyone have any good tips on how to get the damn isight mount off the darn thing?

Thanks!!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:56 PM

I have the 1740, and it's tough to do, but it can be done. The trick is to work something under it as you go, and get more and more material between the monitor and the adhesive. Twisting and wedging were the two most useful motions I found.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 17, 2004, 05:28 PM

They made it far to strong but it does come off if you are careful about it.

"Hello, what have we here?

Hydra
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 06:12 PM

Yeah- the wedging something as you go along works. I was lucky and threw the paper adhesive cover in the box when I stuck my iSight onto he back of my old CD. I took this paper, you may be able to find some wax paper or something else it won't adhere to, and used the body of a bic pen, rolled down as I went, to slowly pry it away. Go slowly and keep pulling. I would occasionally stop and let the adhesive stretch out under the pressure from the pen body and after about 10 min I got it free. I have to say that that adhesive was one of the toughest I have ever seen. The iSight wasn't gonna go anywhere by itself

-Jerry C.

PS . I have the new iSight mount kit on order with the magnetic mount for the new Cinema Displays like mine. From pix I have seen it looks like a white cylinder with a magnet embedded in the base to sit on top of the new displays. The new displays have a steel plate under the top or something because the tops are strongly magnetic despite the fact that Aluminum is not. Much nicer than having to pry an adhesively mounted one off

rm199  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2004, 06:31 AM

thanks for the advice - I'll just be patient with it tonight and work it off as suggested.

*shakes head* anyone would think Apple intended this mount to be stuck to the side of a locomotive.

Good to hear about the magnetic mount - guess I had better order one of those too!!

RM199

rm199  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2004, 05:25 PM

*phew* all done - thanks for the tips. The good news is that the adhesive is so strong it stays together and left no residue on the back of the monitor.

Now where is that 30

RM

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 06:40 PM

Next time just cut through the foam center with fishline or dental floss.

Hydra
Senior User
Aug 19, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by bmhome1:
Next time just cut through the foam center with fishline or dental floss.
I think that would work if it was double sided foam tape but it is very thin, credit-card thin, and very strong stuff. My iSight's adhesive had no foam in the middle to cut. I'm not sure why they made it so strong but I guess ppl would scream bloody murder if iSights fell off displays

-Jerry C.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2004, 10:01 PM

Gotta say, for the company that designed iSight, using double-sided tape to mount such a beautiful and innovative product is almost as pathetic and uninnovative as Belkin's "AirGrip� Technology"

Parky
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 08:17 AM

I stuck mine on my FP iMac in the middle of the screen where Apple show it in the iSight publicity shots.

Guess what, they then say don't put it there, because when you remove it the Apple comes off as well!!

I was lucky I managed to not damage the Chrome Apple and it suck back OK, others may not be as lucky.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules