Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Holy Smoking PISMOs Macman!!!

Holy Smoking PISMOs Macman!!!
FryBrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2004, 11:37 PM

HELP! Smoking PISMO!

Hi,
My PowerBook G3 400mhz (pismo) froze and began to smoke from the upper right side. I quickly shut it down and removed the battery (the a/c cord wasn't plugged in at the time). Now it will not start up. When I press the start button I can here the hard drive spin, but nothing else happens.

Anyone have any ideas what burned-up? I took it appart but see no visible signs of the problem.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!
[email protected]

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 02:31 AM

Never do this with a fuctional, non-smoking Pismo, but take the heat shield off from the processor, and look for a damaged CPU chip (its right under the two screws on the processor board. Working CPU daughter cards can be found for less than $150 now on eBay. Hope its that and not the logic board.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 05:36 PM

Upper right corner on the Pismo is the sound card (DC-in board) and the hard drive. The logic board starts immediately to the left of the hard drive. My guess is the DC-in board solely from the source of the smoke.

Another possibility... the inverter board is right under the hinge cover. This creates the high voltage AC that the backlight on the display needs. If this goes out, it could *look* like nothing is happening. The hinge cover literally just pries off. Open the keyboard and pry off the cover with something plastic. If you something burnt under there, that's likely what's going on. If this is the case, you should still be able to get external video--that will verify that it's not the logic board or DC-in board.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 06:02 PM

Hey Detrius,

When someone separates the processor from the heat shield, I know Apple Pismo service manual instructs to scrape off old thermal wax pad and apply new one, can using thermal paste be considered a safe substitute? Or can one find after-market thermal wax pad material? I see this problem regularly and don't know what a real tech would suggest.

Thanks!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by bmhome1:
Hey Detrius,

When someone separates the processor from the heat shield, I know Apple Pismo service manual instructs to scrape off old thermal wax pad and apply new one, can using thermal paste be considered a safe substitute? Or can one find after-market thermal wax pad material? I see this problem regularly and don't know what a real tech would suggest.

Thanks!
You know, this is going to sound odd, but I don't replace that stuff. I replace it when it comes with a part that I ordered. Otherwise, I don't. I always replace heatsink grease, but not the pads in general.

I would not consider thermal paste to be a safe substitute for the pads because of the physical characteristics. The grease/paste goes in areas that will be held together by force. The pads go in areas that would otherwise have empty space between them.

I should probably look into getting a supply of those pads...

The Pismo was "outdated" before I started working as a tech. I never read the service manual on that one; The guy I worked with showed me what I needed to know. They are really freaking easy laptops to work with. The aluminum G4s need a blow dryer to soften the materials... OMFG! If I can help it, I ship those off to Apple. I haven't needed to buy a hair dryer for the office quite yet...

okay... still going off on tangents. Sorry.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules