Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > partition on internal hard drive won't mount

partition on internal hard drive won't mount
m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 01:54 PM

OK chaps [and chapesses] here's a puzzler for you:

a while back my pismo suffered liquid [OK beer!] damgae which resulted in the I/O board needing to be replaced. after putting in the new board, everything seems hunky dory, apart from the 'scratch' partition on the hard drive [which i use for VM swapfiles] refuses to mount.

disc utility, discwarrior, techtool pro, drive 10 and diskutil run from the terminal, all give the partition in question a clean bill of health, but it simply refuses to mount - either at boot time or using any of the numerous 'mount' commands in these and other apps.

anyone got any ideas?

[obviously i'll be trying the ones which don't include the words 'reformat' , 'complete backup' or 're-install' first! ]

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 25, 2004, 02:12 PM

did you format or change anything in that partition after the damage?

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 02:54 PM

no. in fact i was using the drive in another pismo while waiting for the spare part to arrive. both partitions were showing up OK while the drive was in the other comp. it's only since i've put the drive back into the original pismo that i'm getting this non-mounting partition problem.

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 26, 2004, 06:53 AM

have you got the chance to try it in the other pismo and see if the same happens?
This is really weird (I mean, if the whole drive wouldn't mount, then it could be related to the connections, but only a partition, that's strange)

If it works in that other Pismo, than what I suggest is (just like you wanted ) to backup the files and (whait for it), format it and re-partition...

sorry for the lack of creativity, but this should solve it for sure...

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2004, 01:29 AM

Try the freeware Mount Me 2.0.4.

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by bmhome1:
Try the freeware Mount Me 2.0.4.
nope. that didn't work either - even tho' it reported that the drive had mounted successfully.

this is the weird thing. none of the apps/utilities/CLI stuff i've tried manages to mount the partition, yet none of them generate an error either [and as i've said 'mount me' reports a successful attempt] - so it's like they <em>think</em> they have mounted the partition even when they've failed to.

most peculiar. i guess it's a b*st*rd clean install after all!

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 27, 2004, 05:14 PM

I would recommend first grabbing the data off the drive. I've had tremendous success with Data Rescue X. It doesn't try to recover the disk, it just grabs the data. In my experience disk warrior, techtool, and drive 10 often just exacerbate the problem. Better to recover the data and cleanly reformat. I'm a sworn convert to Data Rescue as it has worked on drives that are physically damaged... if data is on there, this program can grab it.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 11:06 PM

You can try this as an admin user (in the Terminal):

mount_hfs /dev/disk<number>s<partitionNo> /Volumes/<name_of_your_partition>

But if Mount Me didn't do much, I'm not sure how much this will, either.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2004, 01:52 AM

Howdy fellow ex bloatpigger. M a d r a and madrag in the same thread. Shall wonders never cease?

Anyway, I had a similar problem with my G4. Two words:

Canned Air.

G'luck.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2004, 02:11 AM

Um, have you tried just initializing the scratch partition? Since it's only used for VM swap files, I would guess that there wouldn't really be any important files on that partition...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by spauldingg:
Howdy fellow ex bloatpigger. M a d r a and madrag in the same thread. Shall wonders never cease?........
hi there. what ever happened to bloatpig anyway? i came across the email correspondence a while back and went to the URLs but there was only tumbleweed to behold.

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Um, have you tried just initializing the scratch partition? Since it's only used for VM swap files, I would guess that there wouldn't really be any important files on that partition...
hi charles. yep. i've tried that. the trouble is that to format the partition, disc utility first needs to unmount it... but since the partition is already unmounted, disc utility trys to mount it first - [presumably so it can then 'unmount' it' again!] - and times out in this strange catch 22 world of it's own devising.

m a d r a  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 12:15 PM

well, i think i've sussed this one and now my scratch partition is happily mounted and storing my vm swapfiles again. hopefully this thing'll stop running like molasses now it's got it's own dedicated swap partition back again!

the problem was with my '/etc/rc' file. i had edited that before in order to have OSX use the scratch partition for vm. part of that customisation of '/etc/rc' involved the line...
Code:
/sbin/mount_hfs /dev/disk0s7 /Volumes/scratch
... with /dev/disk0s7 being the device for the scratch partition according to OSX.

i remember reading somewhere that this 'device identifier' changes from machine to machine, so i had a sudden brainwave - "since i've replaced my I/O board [which i presume from its name interfaces with all the connected doodads on my comp] maybe the device identifier has changed too?" so i downloaded a wee thing called DiScoop from versiontracker which gives you a list of terminal style info about the partition mapping on your hard drive and found out that lo and behold 'scratch' now had a 'device identifier' of /dev/disk0s5

back into the terminal to adjust the line in '/etc/rc' to ...
Code:
/sbin/mount_hfs /dev/disk0s5 /Volumes/scratch
...followed by a quick reboot and - hooray! back in business.

let's see someone beat that for an obscure one!

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 10, 2004, 10:34 AM

excelent news!
(that's one reason for not messing with the VM destination LOL!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules