Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Questions about Virtual PC to current users

Questions about Virtual PC to current users
slider
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 03:08 PM

Hello all,

I have used VPC since 3 and have upgrade at some point after every release. I currently have VPC on order and have been reading many of the posts on the product. I wanted to ask pointed questions, which I hope current users can answer for me.

I currently have VPC 6 with latest updates. I have installed Windows 98, and Windows XP. What I have read is that Windows 2000 is actually faster due to the lack of all the fluff, if you will, found in XP. However, I remember visiting this at least a year ago it not longer, isn't there a way to speed up XP by turning off the fluff? All of these questions are related to speed improvements.

1) What is the best solution for getting the max speed out of XP via system changes? Should I purchase a version of Windows 2000 instead? Where should I purchase this?

2) I have been experimenting a bit with running Windows on an external drive; something I remember reading about in the past. At this point I should mention that I am on a 1.25 15" PB, 1GB ram, 5400rpm. Does this, base on your own experiences, improve performance? What about specifics, ie, external HD rotational speed, 5400 or 7200, bus powered or external power, what about interface, yes FW, but does FW800 make any difference?

3) I have a license for Windows XP pro, however when I attempt to activate it I get a message saying that the code has been used to many times, simply not true and I therefore expect someone used a code generator invalidating my code. Assuming users here have had run into similar issues, have you found a solution to this?

Programs I am running are GIS specific, ie ArcView 9, Surfer, Insite. I have considered and currently do, have a dedicated windows machine, however this not mobile, hence my revisiting VPC.

Thanks.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 03:30 PM

XP is slow as a dog on VPC7. Even though 98 is supposedly not supported and will not work, it does. I have never tried 2000 so can't tell you about that. Plus, it appears that you really need a dual to take more advantage of VPC 7.

I don't think VPC will ever be any good. You can just about get the crappiest PC you can find and it will run better. Been that way for a long time.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2005, 05:15 PM

Aside from some sort of miracle involving the aligning of several planets and the second-coming taking the form of a Mac BU programmer, VPC will never be "fast." Since you have been around since VPC3, I'm sure you already know this.

For your questions:

1) VPC7 is tons better than 6. I experimented with all of the Windows OS and 2000 is definitely the best as far as overall "speed" goes.

Get a copy of Win2k. Find it used somewhere. I'm sure you can find someone willing to give it away if you look around a bit. Make sure you run the updater to get the latest version once you install it.

2) I'm running with the same setup as you. I've heard that VPC can only use 512MB of RAM, so you should be fine there. I have no idea if a faster HD will do much, as I don't think that HD access is the main bottleneck with VPC's speed. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that running it from your internal HD would be technically fastest, followed by the FW800, then FW400, but again, I don't think that there would be much noticable difference in real-world speed specifically for VPC.

3) No clue. Sorry.

OT, but have you ever been able to get ActiveSync to properly install? I've been trying to get it to work so I can sync my iPaq and I have never been able to get it to work. Funny how the only problem I have with my Mac is when I try to run windows.
Backup your Backup

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by israces:
OT, but have you ever been able to get ActiveSync to properly install? I've been trying to get it to work so I can sync my iPaq and I have never been able to get it to work. Funny how the only problem I have with my Mac is when I try to run windows.
Actually, back in the day, I did get it to sync. But I think at the time I was running VPC 4 or 5 on OS 9. I used a USB to Serial connector. I remember having troubles and others at work could not duplicated it. Although I seem to remember getting it to work to my satisfaction, I don't remember all the specifics. Of course, I currently have trobles trying to sync my 3600 using the USB cradle. Serial works, but it's slow as all hell. Syncing for me involved data for ESRI's ArcPad shapefiles and Mr. Sid images, so I settled for a flash card reader and just by passed the whole syncing thing. There is a reason after all, that we chose to continue using Macs despite our need for PC's.

Here's an additional question for anyone running XP, I think I am still using SP1. Right click on "My Computer", and then select properties. Under the "Generel" tab near the bottom, what is the processor speed displayed as? Mine says 295MHz under VPC6, yours under VPC7?

Also, has anybody found a VPC website outsides of M$?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 09:00 PM

3) Call Microsoft. When you can prove you own it, they should be able to give you a new code. There is a phone number with the product activation papers.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2005, 11:24 AM

I've been dorking with Win2k under VPC 7. It's actually fast. I was impressed. I've got a few more stress tests to put on it this weekend.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 07:31 PM

The MS VPC Google group has some good advice and help. I have tips for Activesyncing success with USB and VPC6/7 posted here:

http://homepage.mac.com/brucemillerphoto

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 08:44 AM

I tried both XP and Win2k and while XP was slower I found it to be only marginally slower. Plus if you turn off all of the eye candy its nearly the same.

One more thing why XP might be a better choice, is MS is actively updating XP, MS may still be providing security updates to Win2k, but how much longer? They already said there will be no SP2 like setup updates/fixes for win2k.

Mike

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by maflynn

I tried both XP and Win2k and while XP was slower I found it to be only marginally slower. Plus if you turn off all of the eye candy its nearly the same.
I've found the same thing. The point is that VPC is always going to feel much slower than what you are used to in either OSX or on a Windows machine. We all have a workflow that we are used to on our "regular" OS. As soon as we use VPC it doesn't work quickly if we are actually trying to use it similarly to what we would on a real Windows machine. You have to slow your pace and be patient and only use VPC when necessary. Once you accept that, and turn off the eye candy, there really is very little difference between 98, 2000 and XP.

Daemon2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 01:50 PM

Here's another question:

I can download VirtualPC 7 for free from my college's website. I can also download WinXP and 2000 for free as well. The problem comes in in that what I downloaded is just an executable and VPC requires an actual CD to install the OS. Is there any way around this? I can probably also get the cd for like $20, but I'm a broke college student and would like to be able to save that if possible.

Also, has anyone had any experiences with Linux on VPC? There's probably not much you can do with it that you can't do with OS X, but it would be cool to play around with.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by D�mon:
Here's another question:

I can download VirtualPC 7 for free from my college's website. I can also download WinXP and 2000 for free as well. The problem comes in in that what I downloaded is just an executable and VPC requires an actual CD to install the OS. Is there any way around this? I can probably also get the cd for like $20, but I'm a broke college student and would like to be able to save that if possible.

Also, has anyone had any experiences with Linux on VPC? There's probably not much you can do with it that you can't do with OS X, but it would be cool to play around with.
So your asking how to pirate VPC, why not just buy it instead of stealing?

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2005, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
So your asking how to pirate VPC, why not just buy it instead of stealing?
Um, no, he's not. He's asking a legitimate question. Lots of colleges have deals with Microsoft and other software companies to provide free software for their students. They also allow for free downloads, but charge a significant "media fee" if you request the software on a disc/set of discs.

Try not to cast aspersions on other's morality unless you know what you're talking about.
Backup your Backup

Daemon2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by israces:
Um, no, he's not. He's asking a legitimate question. Lots of colleges have deals with Microsoft and other software companies to provide free software for their students. They also allow for free downloads, but charge a significant "media fee" if you request the software on a disc/set of discs.

Try not to cast aspersions on other's morality unless you know what you're talking about.
What he said.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by D�mon:
What he said.
Seems to be fairly common around here. Ask an honest question and watch the copyright Nazis come crawling out of the woodwork....

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 07:53 PM

I used VPC 6.1 with XP Home (eye candy turned off) and it ran rather well. I bought VPC 7 and for me it is painfully slower than 6.1. So much so I deleted it from my HD. Of course VPC any version is slow, but the difference between the two versions for me were obvious.

My concern was compatability issues with Tiger when it is released and that's why I got version 7, but alas it annoyed me so much.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 04:22 AM

how do you turn off all the eye candy in XP Pro?

I'm waiting for my copy of VPC 7 to get here so I just needed to know this.
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2005, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by bmhome1:
The MS VPC Google group has some good advice and help. I have tips for Activesyncing success with USB and VPC6/7 posted here:

http://homepage.mac.com/brucemillerphoto
Thanks for the tips. I finally got Activesync to finish an install so I'll be trying them out later today.
Backup your Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules